I want to see more ugly girls on tv
Jan 13, 2016 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I was watching a lot of tv and movies lately. Just about every female presenting a news story and in a lead role in a movie or tv show is attractive.

I want to see more awkward ugly females in the media.

Why?

Because it comes to the point that it becomes predictable and cookie cutter to see another attractive female and after a while it becomes mundane.

I used to love the British TV show Two Fat Ladies where there were 2 ugly over weight ladies as the stars. I love the old Julie Child TV show rebroadcasts and she was an awkward 50 year old lady. These women had so much personality and interesting.

I enjoyed the movie Precious which was about an ugly over weight black girl. The character was so interesting.

To me, ugly woman have character and seem more realistic. I want to see females that have ugly mismatched teeth, big noses, large foreheads and apple shaped bodies. It makes me more engaged because it looks more interesting and real.

When I watch the news and see another pretty female reporting the news, it looks so boring and predictable.

There's lots of interesting people out there that are ugly. I want to see them more.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

I love the old Julie Child TV show rebroadcasts and she was an awkward 50 year old lady. These women had so much personality and interesting.

It's not like you can't be attractive and quirky and actually have a personality. I mean, why wait for Laura Calder to be a quirky 60yo lady when I can watch her now. Just because I can be distracted by her chest doesn't mean that's the only trick up her sleeve; hell, if she whips out a roast rack of lamb, that's what I'm gonna be looking at.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 23
I've been friends with so many females, and it is indeed true that many of the most interesting, deep ones are also the less pretty ones. But there are still plenty of pretty ones who are smart, creative, etc. The thing with TV and the media in general is that it's all a show. You don't see the real person there. On another note...I think Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games is sorta average-looking, but that makes the character all the more intriguing.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 23
Even on billboards and magazine covers, I would like to see more ugly women too to keep it real. When I used to work for customer service, I dealt with lots of ugly ladies and they were very interesting and a real part of daily life. There is definetly a human side to them that I liked.

Jan 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Even on billboards and magazine covers, I would like to see more ugly women too to keep it real. When I used to work for customer service, I dealt with lots of ugly ladies and they were very interesting and a real part of daily life. There is definetly a human side to them that I liked.

Yeah but not necessarily what would catch your eye on a billboard. That's the whole difference - you talked to them. You don't talk to a billboard, you see a larger image of a face, or ****, or perfect buttcheeks. The lady selling cigarettes near my old office might be hilarious, but put her on a billboard, and she isn't exactly talking so you won't get that. Miranda Kerr can turn out to be the most boring piece of Schiit on the planet (not that I think she is), but on the billboard, you're bound to look at that perfect piece of *****.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 23

Yeah but not necessarily what would catch your eye on a billboard. That's the whole difference - you talked to them. You don't talk to a billboard, you see a larger image of a face, or ****, or perfect buttcheeks. The lady selling cigarettes near my old office might be hilarious, but put her on a billboard, and she isn't exactly talking so you won't get that. Miranda Kerr can turn out to be the most boring piece of Schiit on the planet (not that I think she is), but on the billboard, you're bound to look at that perfect piece of *****.

If advertisers go far enough the other way, into the realm of freaky ugliness, it can definitely catch your attention. Never forgot that old Playstation 2 ad, where they digitally manipulated that girl's face (at least I hope they did!) - not pretty to look at, but visually striking.

Jan 18, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 23

wii won the battle against ps 3 though the PS 3 was longer lasting.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If advertisers go far enough the other way, into the realm of freaky ugliness, it can definitely catch your attention. Never forgot that old Playstation 2 ad, where they digitally manipulated that girl's face (at least I hope they did!) - not pretty to look at, but visually striking.

At the level of freakish yes, like having a giant Grey Alien head (which coincidentally is kind of what that girl looks like), but in terms of Spareribs' "interesting people," it won't work as a billboard. Even if you put text there that would add to the photo context as to how interesting their lives are, already people debate here for example the dangers of chicks in underwear in terms of distracting drivers, so even if people weren't superficial, reading that text would be just as dangerous.

It would work in other mediums of course - I mean it's not like Nadia G got on Food Channel simply because of her body, but also because, like her or not, they needed someone who had a unique way of speaking (vocabulary/figures of speech, accent, etc) to stand out more among the more CIA grad- or crafty (Southern) homemaker-types cooking on TV. "Hey look we can have someone who's kind of like Kat Von D but with a skillet instead of a needle!" would not have been far off what someone actually said when they deliberated. Now if only we can get somebody like Janeane Garofalo cooking on TV so we can have a sarcastic and more "out there" type to fill in for what Spareribs misses about Julia Child, or put another way, a female version of Gordon Ramsay who tosses out more creative insults without having to shout it out directly.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 23
I'd like to see more average looking people on TV in general. Beer commercials always show beautiful young people, but you go to a bar just like the ones in their commercials, and you see young, old, beautiful, ugly, fat, thin, etc. Just a completely inaccurate representation of their customer base. I get brands want to motivate you to go buy their product, but would people avoid a beer because their actors and actresses weren't all models?

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 23
There's lots of good valid points here that I agree with. I know most people would rather see that cute 19 year old on the billboards and the star of the tv show. It's pretty much been that way. Even in the Wizard of Oz movie, the Dorothy character was played by a cute 19 year old Judy Garland and that's what everybody wants to see as the protagonist.

But for a change of pace I would like to see a 50 year old woman on an advertisement or being the love interest in a movie that would look like this lady for example which would be a more realistic looking woman.

It would be interesting to me but I know most people would be more fixated on that 19 year old fresh face instead which is normal in the marketing and entertainment biz.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDYKI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to see more average looking people on TV in general. Beer commercials always show beautiful young people, but you go to a bar just like the ones in their commercials, and you see young, old, beautiful, ugly, fat, thin, etc. Just a completely inaccurate representation of their customer base. I get brands want to motivate you to go buy their product, but would people avoid a beer because their actors and actresses weren't all models?

Nope, but it's a different marketing thrust altogether - like instead of a bar and trying to hook up, make it focus on backyard BBQ drinking and such. Over here Sam Miguel Pale Pilsen used to have dimly lit bars and billiards tables in its commercials starring alpha male celebs and hot female celebs, but now it's become obvious that to survive their "Light" beer is more up front marketing-wise, featuring cute millenials in clubs. Which is weird, because those clubs serve cocktails and ecstasy, not cheap beer. If I was in charge of marketing I'd still make commercials for the rest of the product line - primarily Pale Pilsen, but also Cerveza Negra, Super Dry, and Strong Ice - showing for example local chefs (who obviously look nothing like Laura Calder, Giada Di Laurentiis, Nadia G, etc) chilling after work or a weekend afternoon in the backyard with a blazing hot grill.

Heck, the tables attached to our grills? We don't even season our steaks on those because most of them are too small - we either knock the grinders down to the grass or a 1kg Porterhouse simply can't fit (ditto a bone-in ribeye) on those things. What we have on them, next to the colder side of the grill, are mugs of beer and ashtrays; thick ceramic plates are on the hotter side of the grill so they also warm up.

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 23
  Beer commercials always show beautiful young people, but you go to a bar just like the ones in their commercials, and you see young, old, beautiful, ugly, fat, thin, etc. Just a completely inaccurate representation of their customer base.

They leave out far more than ugly girls.  There are no ugly girls when you are drinking.  Now, If the objective was to be really accurate they would show fatal DUI accidents and police taking domestic violence calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back