i want to run from this place.. after 1 question
Mar 1, 2006 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

aCommunistSpy

100+ Head-Fier
okay so i was just looking at some exorbitantly priced headphones for "fun" right? to laugh at others for spending $50+ on cans and earphones and i knew i was never going to get them.
WRONG. i found this place and then decided i was gonna try the ksc75's. But then.. i mean px100's were only $30 more and i had that kind of money. But then again, they leak and grados also leak and sr60's are only $15 more but sound better and i wasn't gonna travel much. But then, why go for less and then i decided to buy ms1's. i was convinced this time and i was almost gonna buy it.. but then.. i read some stupid thread about ms1 vs. sr225. then it was only $50 more. and then people were shouting.. just go get the ms2's! i mean your gonna upgrade later anyways right??
okay so.. anyone wanna try to convince me back to the $100 range (so i can eat lunch again) or $50 (so i can eat dinner)?
icon10.gif

(i got upgradeitis before even purchasing my cans..i should run far far away)

PS. $100 for MS1 or $150 for SR225's? which is better? is the sound "worth" the extra $50?

EDIT: i guess i forgot to mention that i'll also be playing my guitar through the headphones
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 42
Welcome! I bought some sr60s when I first joined and a few weeks later bought some hd650s. This place is dangerous. Watch out. Oh and I dropped a few hundred on a ppa. GUH.....

It's only $50 more....lol

I can't answer your question but I'll bet you go with the sr225s
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 42
I've never heard the 225s but they seem to be a sweet buy in the Grado range.

The MS-1s though are fantastic value.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 42
Many times headphones are more "different" than "better" sounding than each other. The PX-100s are less expensive, but can sound just as great as other headphones that cost more money. I own both the PX-100s and the SR-225s. I really like them both for different uses. The PX-100s are my favorite headphones I have ever used for portable use. They are comfortable, light, small in size, and they really sound great. Even in the home setting they sound really good. The SR-225s are what I have found to bring me the most enjoyment in the home setting, but they are a little too open and big for comfortable use on the go. I think it really depends on where you will be using the headphones most. The difference between the MS-1s and the SR-225s are a different story. In my experience, I have found the Alessandro headphones to be more neutral sounding than the more alive Grado counterparts. There is also the addition of using an amplifier to make a difference in your decision. There are many of those to choose from as well, but that is a different story. These forums are full of great comparisons and discussions about everything headphone related you can think of. Hope this helps, and as they say, "sorry about your wallet!"
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 42
Grados are really cool! Now that I've got that across, here comes the serious bit.

All the headphones that you mentioned are very good indeed. The KSC75 is known as the best for its price range and so is the PX100 and SR60. The MS-1 is a notch above the SR60 and the MS-2i is in a completely different league to the KSC75, PX100, SR60 or MS-1. The SR-225 fits in between the MS-2i and the MS-1. This is all sound quality wise. I have tried all of the above (SR325i instead of MS-2i, but MS-2i is known to be more neutral) and those were my observations.

Have you ever tried Grados? Do you know what to expect? Before I got my SR-325i, I had opportunities to extensively try out the SR60 and SR80 and then did I make the decision. The headphones you have stated are all pretty "fun" headphones and from that I can deduce that you like listening to rock/rap/pop music. Is that true? In which case I will go with the over-used, but true statement that Grados are the king of rock. Go as HIGH as you can go in the Grado line-up and run away. Avoid the SR-125 as they are ear-piercingly high. In fact, all Grados have a pretty darn bright sound with the exception of the SR60, SR80, RS-2 and RS-1.

At the end of the day, it is your wallet that dictates how expensive your wallet needs to be. I can tell you ONE thing that is true for all of us here, and that is the upgraditis will NEVER cease. I thought that the HD650 was the king of the kings, but I have discovered that even with $250 upgraded replacement cable, there are still things left to be desired.

I have mixed feelings though: I don't want to tell you to run after you make your headphone purchase, because it looks like whatever you purchase is still the first step into the headphone world. No offense, but the PX100 to SR-225 is not quite hi-end yet. It is still entry-level. Therefore, I urge you to stay and enjoy what those wonderful guys at Senn, AT, Grado, Ety, Shure, UE, Beyer, Stax, Sony, etc have made available for us all. There are greater things to come like Stax electrostats, Audio-Technica Limited Edition Series, Sony Qualia 010, etc... However, if you don't run away, the potential sums of money that you will be spending is really out of this world! Like you said, you might have to skip a couple of meals to finance your headphones LOL. I myself am still a high school student (last year) and I can tell you from first hand experience what it is like. Luckily, I've got good financial base
biggrin.gif
!

To end this massive rant I would like to give you a word of advice. Keep a very good eye on your wallet. I doubt you will be able to pry yourself from the grips of the Head-Fi upgraditis bug (You might have to go into solitary rehabilitation to fix that.
biggrin.gif
). Money really does dissappear at a very high rate around here! So please get whatever headphones you feel would fit best in your grand scheme of things and do hang around for your next pair of headphones
evil_smiley.gif
! Have a nice day!

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 42
Lol, welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif
*believe me, it will happen eventually
tongue.gif

anyway, since you're still new, you will be better off starting with something cheaper *votes for ksc-75*

Disclaimer: I didn't like the SR-225 when I heard it at a meet.

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Hey, really, what you want are the PS1s...

Yeah. That might hold of your upgraditis until you get your Balanced HP-2s.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 42
If you want to get away from this place go with SR60's they have the same kind of sound as the 225's for a lot less and they are an awesome pair of headphones if you like rock music!

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 42
Man that is the worst case of upgraditis that i have ever heared of....before even makeing a purchase
eek.gif
. I see a long and wallet thinning furture for you.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:13 AM Post #12 of 42
Why don't you just buy the PX100?
I listen to it everyday, and thinking to myself, this sounds good.
The ergonomics and convenience is superb, and it works with all kinds of music.
Is there any reason why anyone can't enjoy music on these quality headphones?

At home I use my K1000 (now $1000) with single-ended tube amp, supplemented by my K501 (then $200) and SR225 ($200), driven by two different solid state amps. I listen to these hi-end cans everyday. But at work I still enjoy PX100 out of my laptop or a Tivoli radio. If audio quality is not your obsession, PX100 should suit you well. I have also given away KSC75 and SR60 as gifts, because I know they are good, too. But PX100's design is hard to beat.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 42
hahaha i was in the same position as u couple of weeks ago, really wanted to try the grado line, so i decided to do a little search. Now i have a recabled rs-2 for home use, e3c for portable, pa2v2 amp and a mpx3 comming soon. My advise is to delete all memory of head-fi and stick with stock ear buds.

But seriously, grado's are great for rock/rap/pop. All i can comment on is rs-2's, not very bright at all, although they are suppose to be the darkest of the grado line-up from what i've read. i also have a pair of sr80 comming, so i'll see if those are that much brighter.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 42
i say go with the Grado SR60's. i think you'll be very happy with them. and if you feel the need to upgrade after that, you can always sell them here on the forums and try something else out.

my first 'phones were the SR60's and the HD555. i really liked them both..found myself using the SR60's a bit more, which is why i've sold both of them to upgrade to a modded SR225.

my advice..buy the SR60's and never come here again! your wallet/bank account will thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back