i want to paint my amp
Nov 5, 2008 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kuzzz

100+ Head-Fier
ampib7.jpg

i think its impossible to diy so do you know any good places where this can be done? its for my futured mini³ i'm going to place an order this or next week.

i hope it won't cost a ton

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 8
To start with, I work in the sign industry, so this is kinda up my alley.
biggrin.gif
(and I've been contemplating making custom graphics to decorate my Headroom Micro
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Look into screen printers if you're looking to produce a lot of these. You can screen print to vinyl, metal, plastic, just about anything and it should be inexpensive as A) it's small and B) you're only using two colours. If you make more in the future ask the printer to keep your screens (there may be an extra cost for that) so you can reorder.

If you're doing a small number (or a one-off), look into sign shops that can produce spot-colour thermal prints to clear vinyl decals. We have such a printer in our shop called the Gerber EDGEfx, and its print quality is adequate for your purpose.

You can also use automotive-grade computer-cut vinyl graphics, but at the size you're working (it's a portable amp, I assume) might be too small to cut the lettering, and they tend to rub off through use, which the above two solutions do not suffer from.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thx , a sticker is a better idea.

That's the best way. It's important, though, to go with a thermal print. They have a relatively decent setup cost (preflighting the file) but are cheap for subsequent prints, particularly if they're small and they are relatively durable. In addition, they can print white (useful as an undercoat if the spot colours are transparent or translucent) and most shops will have the ability to cut the decal to any shape (rounded edges, straight edges, flush cut etc.).

As a bonus, provide output-ready artwork (most companies here in North America use .ai or .eps files) and a full set of accurate measurements (bonus points if the file is done perfectly to 1:1 scale, too) and the company will have even less work to do, so you should get it cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif

Let us know how it works out for you.
smily_headphones1.gif
Pics would be lovely.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Also, if your picture represents two sides of a single amp, you can probably do the decal as one big wrap, though keeping the two sides separate might be easier to apply.

And don't forget to order extras!!! This is important in case you screw up the application, which for most adhesive vinyls is much stronger and stickier than your typical sticker-book type stuff. I've been applying vinyls for over a year, and even I screw up application from time to time.

EDIT: and when you apply them, clean your hands very well first. I can't count the number of clear decals I've had to throw away because I got fingerprints embedded in the adhesive.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Naphtha is a great tool for removing stickers without damaging them or the adhesive. Use lots of it and the glue will soften up and likely stay on the sticker. It evaporates very quickly and once evaporated, the adhesive will be as sticky as it was before applying the Naphtha.

BTW, Zippo lighter fluid is Naphtha and comes in a very easy to apply container.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 8
ty youre very helpfull, i always make such things in Adobe illustrator so thats no problem^^ do you know where i can order some?

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ty youre very helpfull, i always make such things in Adobe illustrator so thats no problem^^ do you know where i can order some?

Stickers or Naptha?
wink.gif

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any Belgian sign shops, but just have a look in your local phone directory and ask them if they can thermal print and cut to clear vinyl/enamel. Even if they can't, they probably know someone who can.

As for removal, I've always used a citrus-oil based remover for the adhesives used on vinyls. Unfortunately, it leaves the adhesive useless afterward, but does a great job of taking off stuck-on adhesive chunks. I also don't know how thermal transfer film (used in the thermal printing process) will react to Naptha, so you'd want to test it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back