I Want to Kill
Feb 24, 2006 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I want to kill whatever could be on my headphones whether it be fungus, body lice or bacteria. Does anyone know any proven, effective, and safe methods to do so?

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 26
safe for you, or safe for you and your headphones? I can think of a few ways that are user-safe, but don't think the headphones will survive.

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
safe for you, or safe for you and your headphones? I can think of a few ways that are user-safe, but don't think the headphones will survive.

Safe for both. I would like to live and wear my headphones afterwards.
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 26
Buy a box of those pre-moistened alcohol swabs that diabetics use for their insulin injections. Any drug store should carry them. They are a quick and efficient way to keep your phones clean and germ-free.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 26
Are your 'phones infected with head lice or something? Dunno about "cleaning" them I'd throw them in the bin and buy a new pair. Seriously though, wash the pads in fairy liquid and rub the rest of the bodywork down with something like diluted dettol or lice shampoo.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 26
you guys seriously have a problem with your cans getting that gunky? even after several meets, i don't feel like my cans ever got messed up enough to even need a cursory wipedown.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
shower everyday?

Yeah, I shower every morning sometimes even at night before bed or I just wash my face, neck, and ears.

Within a day or two after the Southern California meet, my ears started to itch. So I used some rubbing alcohol on the headphone pads, but my ears continued to itch. About a week ago I went to the doctor and even with the ear drops my ears still itch. I believe some foreign thing(s) got on my cans or ears at the meet since I've never had this type of sensation before. I would like to disinfect my headphones because I could just be reexposing myself everytime I put them on.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 26
Have you tried taking off the pads and foam and washing them thuroughly? I dont know if the pads will live after a good wash. You may just want to swing by sennheiser and order a new pair of pads and replace the foam insert.

This is the reason why I dont buy used cans
biggrin.gif

your thread has gotten me paranoid, Im off to wash the senn pads in shampoo. Ill see if they can live through it. Ill be back and let you know.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I believe some foreign thing(s) got on my cans or ears at the meet since I've never had this type of sensation before. I would like to disinfect my headphones because I could just be reexposing myself everytime I put them on.

You sure they're not infested with crabs or something? Seriously, your 'phones could be crawling with some lifeform that migrated from a fellow head-fier's head at the meet.. either that or someone may have coated them with itching powder as a joke... best thing to do is hoover the pads and maybe soak them in dettol overnight, hang out until dry. They will smell of dettol for a few months but much better than crawling with unknown bugs / itching powder.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
Have you tried taking off the pads and foam and washing them thuroughly? I dont know if the pads will live after a good wash. You may just want to swing by sennheiser and order a new pair of pads and replace the foam insert.

This is the reason why I dont buy used cans
biggrin.gif

your thread has gotten me paranoid, Im off to wash the senn pads in shampoo. Ill see if they can live through it. Ill be back and let you know.

I've shampooed and dried my HD-600 pads over 10 times and they are as good as new.. wash them in lukewarm soapy water (I use coconut shampoo) whilst kneading them. Rinse with cold water and hang out to dry on a piece of string... they will be like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back