(I want to have my cake and eat it too) Closed vs. Open - Advice for an owner of Denon1000, AKGk702, and VSonic GR07 IEMs
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

thk3421

New Head-Fier
I first bought the Denon1000s about 7 years ago with a tiny little Airhead amp.  After a while I wanted to try an open headphone and the AKG702 was recommended for its price point.  The AKG's were much more detailed than my Denons, but they lacked any bass impact at all.  I tried them on a friend's WooAudio WA6, but that didn't really change the bass all that much.  I even tried VSonice GR07's, but I get uncomfortable having IEMs stuffed inside my head.  I sold my AKGs and want to buy another headphone that has a lot of detail like my AKGs and lots of punchy bass like my Denons.  I realize the biggest difference is that these are closed versus open, so I'm leaning towards closed headphones.

I've researched a little bit about Ultrasone Pro 900s and the ATH W1000x.  The ATH W1000x seems like a leading candidate.  Are there any other open headphones with really punch bass like a closed headphone?  Are there any closed headphones that have a wide soundstage and really detailed sound?

price: Less than $600 
Usage: home desktop only
Amp:  Will buy a solid state amp together with headphones. I'll get whatever impedance matches these headphones. (separate budget and prefer solid state to tube amps)

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 18
Try the HE-400. I bought them as an upgrade from my Q701's. The HE-400 has a bit more detail than the Q701 and absolutely wipes the floor with it in the bass department. Very punchy and full of impact, but also fast and controlled. They have a decent soundstage, but it's definitely smaller than the AKG's. However, I think the HE-400 does a much better job of 3D layering within the soundstage. The Q701 sounded huge but kind of flat to me. The HE-400 doesn't have the same epic sense of space, but it's more focused and precise. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 18
Hiya, I would go for HE 500 (you can find used around 500 US$ in heaf fi or new ones are about 650 US$).
Regarding dac/amp, consider getting audio gd 15.32/11.32.

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for the suggestions.  Audio gd stuff looks great.  What do you guys think about the ATH W1000x or the Ultrasone Pro 900s ?  Or perhaps the Beyerdynamics T70?    also...and this is really stupid....but a detachable or replaceble cable is preferred because the stupid cat that lives in my apartment likes to eat cables.  I think he has eaten four separate pairs of cheap earbuds in two years.

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 18
thk3421, I would not shy away from open cans.  Your AKG is not bass-light because it's open, it's bass-light because it has a fairly neutral signature.  It is special, but by no means indicative of all (or even most) open-backed cans. 
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 18
The Kenwood KH-K1000 is worth considering. It's a closed headphone with a large soundstage and strong bass that also sounds quite transparent. I've owned the D1001 and the Q701 and the Kenwoods basically sound like a combination of those two headphones with the strong points of both.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 18
Thank you all so much for your replies.  I'll expand my search to consider open headphones too.  I'm definitely not a basshead, but I certainly listen to a lot of electronic music and rarely listen to much classical music. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 18
http://www.head-fi.org/t/691681/he-300-vs-hd-598#post_10002924

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 18
After some additional reading this weekend, I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD650s.  From what I can tell, they don't really do anything 'wrong', its just that some people prefer more emphasis in parts of the frequency curve. I don't know if these will have much bass impact, but I'm realizing that I don't want to give up a lot of detail and soundstage width just to chase a thumping subbass.  Given that realization, I think I want a great all around headphone, and the 983 page thread on the HD650 seems to claim they are pretty good at everything, but not superior in many areas. Most complaints seem to be resolved when they are given a sufficiently powerful amp to handle the 300ohm impedance.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 18
If you have an opportunity, I would recommend you to try listening the different headphones before buying.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 18
That is definitely a good idea. I've been casually looking around the Chicago area but haven't come across a place that sells audiophile headphones.  I've seen some places that aren't too far if I take the train, just haven't had the time to get out there.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 18
Did you go there?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683342/chi-uni-fi-7-5-chicago-area-meet-nov-2nd

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 18
  Unfortunately I didn't learn about that meet until after it was over.  I would like to attend the next one though.

oh man! I really really wish that I was living in one those places where headfi meets are organized!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back