I want to buy a k371. Is there a way to know Thomann will ship me one that isn't broken?
Jun 6, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Order two of them, keep the good one?

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 12
They got a return policy? If so, take the risk and see if you get a good unit. Nobody really studied what the chances of getting a bad one or do we know how people handle stuff. I know people in this hobby, and some people are more concerned about build quality over others, and it's like due to experience. If stuff breaks a lot on you, there's a good chance it's your handling of items. You will also find that people are willing to share issues on forums, so the ratio of QC isn't well known, and can be pretty skewed.

I'm one of those people that don't usually have issues. Why is this?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 12
What SilverEars said. Most shops (if not all) have a return policy. I would certainly never order from a store that doesn't have one.
So if you order two pairs and (in the most likely case) both are OK, just send one back. Sending back stuff is not limited to faulty units only.
Also, if they are physically ok (no loose hinge etc) but they sound odd, how do I know the sound is odd? I have no reference point of a functional one.
When you order two of them, at least then you're able to decide which one sounds best :) Ordering just one leaves you with zero reference.
The chance that both units are off is very slim. If both sound odd it is most likely you don't like K371s sound.

But again, I think it would be safe to order just one.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 12
They got a return policy? If so, take the risk and see if you get a good unit. Nobody really studied what the chances of getting a bad one or do we know how people handle stuff. I know people in this hobby, and some people are more concerned about build quality over others, and it's like due to experience. If stuff breaks a lot on you, there's a good chance it's your handling of items. You will also find that people are willing to share issues on forums, so the ratio of QC isn't well known, and can be pretty skewed.

I'm one of those people that don't usually have issues. Why is this?

What are the chances that all those people making reviews got faulty ones with loose hinges and stuff?

Also, how do I know if the sound quality its how supposed to be?

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 12
What SiverEars said. Most shops (if not all) have a return policy. I would certainly never order from a store that doesn't have one.
So if you order two pairs and (in the most likely case) both are OK, just send one back. Sending back stuff is not limited to faulty units only.

When you order two of them, at least then you're able to decide which one sounds best :) Ordering just one leaves you with zero reference.
The chance that both units are off is very slim. If both sound odd it is most likely you don't like K371s sound.

But again, I think it would be safe to order just one.

If there's a bad batch most likely you order from the same batch unless you buy in 2 different shops.

Is there a way to measure the signal and compare the curve to the proper one?

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 12
Well, sounds like you're already pretty convinced that you'll be getting a bad item so not sure what kind of advice your looking for. Saying you won't be able to tell which item has qc issues so needing to get two and measuring them is a bit over the top. The same could be said about any headphone. If there are QC issues it is not a subtle change in the sound, it is very obvious when something is wrong.

QC issues with review units is likely because reviewers get the earlier lots of a product. K371 has been out for some time now and has gone through many manufacturing lots and hopefully improvements since those issues were reported. I guess one way to avoid the issue altogether is to buy a used one that has been confirmed to have no issues.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 12
if they are physically ok (no loose hinge etc) but they sound odd, how do I know the sound is odd? I have no reference point of a functional one

But you have heard music, so use that as your reference point.

Jun 7, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 12
Well then dondt buy it. Case solved

Yeah I don't get it. I have no experience with AKG and I regret not buying a Q701 when they were still made in America. But after reading some threads and seeing the pics, just why?

There are a lot of great headphones in every price range that don't have a pattern of problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back