I want to buy a CD player
Sep 16, 2002 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

troubleshootah

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am using a JMT cha-47, Grado sr-80 phones and portables. I want a CD player that will

1. sound good.

2. last for a while

3. not cost much over $250 U.S.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Sep 16, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 19
Do you want something pportable to go with that rig or something for listening at home?

For home listening, a bunch of folks here have been talking about a Sony DVD/SACD/CD/etc player NS 500V. Here's a link to a long discussion (also has prices and on-line retailers to try)
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...dget+component

That model has been discontinued so you may not be able to find it or might be able to get great deals from folks trying to get rid of old inventory.

Here's a link that discusses the replacement model for the NS500V
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=16463

Another thread looking at similar players.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...threadid=16048

Good luck!

Bruce

Sep 16, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 19
You might also want to consider the Denon DCM-370. It retails for a little over 300, but I got one brand new off of ebay for 120. I haven't done too much listening with it, but it comes highly recomended by many people here on the forum. It also has HDCD, so that's a cool feature.

Sep 16, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 19
One more thread to check out is 'Which of these home-based CD Players should I get?' (started by sapphiremodena).

In my opinion, the short list for CD players in the around-$200 range is
  1. Sony DVP-NS500V, ~$140 + shipping
  2. Sony DVP-NC650V (five-disc version of NS500V), ~$240 + shipping
  3. Sony DVP-NS755V (new progressive-scan version of NS500V), ~$225 + shipping
  4. Sony SCD-CE775, ~$200 + shipping
  5. Denon DCM-370, ~$200 + shipping
  6. NAD players in the price range
All the Sony players are SACD players, and the first three are DVD players as well. They also come with a five-free-DVDs offer. The Denon and the Sony NC650V are five-disc carousel changers and all the rest are single disc players. All reputedly sound very good for their prices. I'll probably buy one in the next week or so.

kerleybonto

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 19
kerelybonto gave you a great list. Pretty much any of those players would make a great choice. Just pick up a pair of outlaw PCA cables, and you'll be set for a while! (Though I'm not sure what kind of input you have on that amp)

Sep 17, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 19
I just put an order in for a Sony SCD-CE775. Basically for me it came down to that or the DVP-NS500V; I decided I don't need a DVD player at this point, so that ruled out the DVP-NS755V, which is only on the list because it's progressive scan. Again, not needing DVD, the NC650V has no advantages over the SCD-CE775, and it costs more, so it gets wacked. Unlike the Denon and NAD players, the SCD-CE775 plays SACD, which I decided is a nice bonus, especially since I have some of the new hybrid Stones remasters coming. I decided I could justify the $60 difference over the DVP-NS500V by just looking at the obvious: none of the price of the SCD-CE775 goes toward a video DAC or any of the video components that are in the DVP-NS500V, and so it probably has higher quality audio components.

It should be here in a few days, assuming my bank changed the address on my credit card like I told them to. (Moving back and forth from school to home is very annoying for online shopping.) I won't have a good amp at that point, but I can give you my impressions out of the jack on my V6, SR-80, and HP-2.

kerelybonto

Sep 17, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 19
troubleshootah, while still a great player for the cost, I think the Denon DCM-370 is a bit overpriced relative to the other good players at that price. The Sony SCD-CE775 is a five-disc changer just like the Denon, plus it plays SACD. They both use Burr-Brown DACs (not sure if they're the same ones), but according to people who know, the SCD-CE775 uses a lot of the same internals as Sony's ES-line SACD players.

Go listen if you can. I'll leave this alone until my player arrives.

kerelybonto

Sep 17, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 19
kerelybonto: For the retail price ($299), the denon is quite expensive. On the other hand, I picked mine up for about $150 shipped on ebay. It was a refurbished. . . no problems at all.

Sep 17, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 19
I've heard the Denon DCM-370 as I got it for my brother, who unloaded it onto my parents to replace their 17-year-old Sony CD changer.

I was just dumbfounded at how bad it sounded compared to the Marantz CD6000OSE, my CD player (until it died). Compressed, dark-sounding, poor imaging, poor dynamics. I wouldn't recommend the player, although the Marantz CD6000OSE does cost a little more. Maybe at $150 the Denon is an okay player.

Sep 17, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 19
Huh, I'm very surprised by your appraisal of the player. It has been recommended in the past by many. I find it to be quite equal to the sony ns500v, redbook wise.

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 19
I can't speak to the virtues of the NS500V as I have never heard it. However, the above was my assessment using the following system:

Marantz CD6000OSE/Denon DCM-370 --> DH Labs Air Matrix (1m) --> Melos SHA-1 (modded) --> Cardas-SennHD600/Grado HP2

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 19
DanG, I'm not so sure you should base your opinions on the Denon-370 that TimSchirmer also basically dislikes. As I remembered his unit was used and had an inability to playback scratched CD's well, which quite frankly doesn't match the description of a well-working unit IMO. Were red shipping screws in place during shipping the first time or even second time to prevent damage to tracking?

In the end I definitely didn't think a tweaked Art DIO blew it away, nor did I leave the WoHT with the impression that I really really need to go and upgrade my source.

Course I don't think it is the greatest sounding source...I wish mine was less reliable and broke down so I could have good reason and room to upgrade.

Sep 17, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 19
yeah, i really can't even bother looking at any cd player over say two hundred fifty bucks so the Marantz CD6000OSE is right out. I am going to audition the denon dcm 370 and a comparably priced nad play unless any other reasonable suggestions show up. Also i'll be buying this new as I never buy used or refurbed audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back