I want to build my own PC
Jun 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #16 of 20
I was playing around with the idea of a ssd. At a consumer level and budget i would recommend a ssd just because consumers like that fast speed. However for more specific full on audio use ..... It wouldnt be a good solution as said above.

There are constant people saying stuff about reliability but at this point, theirreliability is good enough. Just do the research.

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 20
I was playing around with the idea of a ssd. At a consumer level and budget i would recommend a ssd just because consumers like that fast speed. However for more specific full on audio use ..... It wouldnt be a good solution as said above.
There are constant people saying stuff about reliability but at this point, theirreliability is good enough. Just do the research.

The issue isn't will the drive die out of the box, the issue is that after X writes the thing is done. And that's not something they've solved, it's just something they can kick down the line. Intel has trotted it's newest drives out and made a big to-do about how they can survive a whole lot of read/write before they burn up, but it's still dubious in the long-term (and because nobody has had any of these deployed for five or ten years, it's hard to say, really). That having been said, I would agree that for normal usage, it's probably a moot point, and that SSDs should be considered appropriate as long as you're buying a quality unit.

See:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-9.html
and
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/ssd-reliability-lower-than-disks/1222

In a (proper) RAID environment, individual reliability becomes something of a non-issue, but as you get into larger and larger arrays you want hardware control (with cache) and multiple nested arrays - just to increase the amount of disks that can eat it all at once without data loss (or even downtime).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back