I want this sooooo bad!
Sep 30, 2002 at 11:22 AM Post #17 of 25
I have no experience with the the japaneese 790, but i've heard that pana's line-out is affected by eq/bass settings. Can anyone confirm this???

Sep 30, 2002 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 25
On earlier, much earlier Panasonics they were (I have an 1996 SL-S270 that lets that happen), but by the 780 it doesn't happen anymore. On the 780 if you plug anything into the line out/optical out, the EQ and volume are automatically disabled, and you don't get any sound from the phones jack either.
smily_headphones1.gif

So the 790 might do the same?

Sep 30, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 25
The ct570's lineout is effected by eq settings.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 25
the lineout on the 790 is not effected by the eq settings like the older pana's were. i have a 460 that is effected by eq. the sound of the 790's lineout is decent but not great. i haven't been able to compare it to anything but my 460 which is slightly better i think.

from everything that i have read here, none of the new pcdps are all that hot right now though, so let's hope that this year's new models will be better.

Oct 1, 2002 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 25
probably not. Firmware upgrades is the child of the computerindustry.

Oct 1, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by dinosauract
That does look like a great unit. I wish the headphone out was stronger. That battery life is incredible, I guess the weak headphone out is the price of that life. Should be great for use with an amp though. The other thing I wonder about is if it offers non-compressed anti-skip.

I have Panasonic's SL-MP35, which has the same headphone out and battery life specs. It actually has plenty of power compared to other MP3/CD combos I've tried. In fact I bought it specifically for that reason, to replace a Riovolt 250 which couldn't drive my Grado RS60s.

Oct 2, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #24 of 25
the Panasonic SL-CT800 is in stock in less than a week. I was going to buy a slimx...but you all think this would be better? The only hesitation i have, is the remote looks rather small and it isn't firmware upgradable (?) for ogg support later.

btw, im in australia. The price of this player and the slimx are pretty much the same (even after including shipping), although i would still have to buy a stepdown transformer.

opinion?

Oct 2, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Aong
the Panasonic SL-CT800 is in stock in less than a week. I was going to buy a slimx...but you all think this would be better

My guess is that the Panasonic would have better sound quality and a stronger headphone output. This is based on experience of the Riovolt 250, which I gather has the same amplifier as the slimx, and my Panasonic SL-MP35, which has the same specs as the Panasonic SL-CT800. The Panasonic was substantially better sounding.

On the other hand Panasonic, in my experience, is not that great at the user interface side of things. (I have a DVD player of theirs that operates through a menu of incomprehensible hieroglyphics. And the SL-MP35 is pretty clutzy.) But in terms of basics, like sound quality, they're pretty reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back