I want something new
Nov 4, 2008 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mow_the_hawk

500+ Head-Fier
Well, for a while I have been looking for a new headphone amp, and get rid of the two I have now. I mainly just want a change in sound, while keeping the phones I have and love. I would want it to be in the budget of the the two amps I have now. Ideally, I want it to drive almost anything. Meaning if I got a new headphone, this would amp it well. I want to go tube, I think. I have been looking at the Woo Audio WA3 or a Musical Fidelity one. I have also been looking at the cheaper Eddie Current Lunchbox, I would like to get this most because of price if it would be sufficient. So can anyone comment about how these three amps sound out of a variety of cans. I have the Senheiser Hd580, and AKG K701. Future purchases may include Beyerdynamic Dt880 and AKG K501. So, please give me your two cents. Also, if it matters, I listen to all kinds of music. Mainly soft rock and acoutic. But also harder rock and Jazz. My sources as seen below are Apple Lossless -> Emu 0404 usb, Denon DVD2910 cd player and a technics turntable. Well thanks.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 16
I'd recommend browsing the For Sale Forum. Your dollar will go a lot further there. IIRC, I recently saw a very nice Melos SHA-1 going around $400. Those are terrific amps. You might be able to find a PPX3 around there, as well.

Though I think the Lunchbox II is pretty good, as well. I've listened to it a couple of times and have been impressed with it at its price.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Okay, thanks for the input, I will keep an eye there. And I see you have many pairs of headphones there, would you say the lunchbox did well with most of them, particularly the K701 and Hd600?

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 16
If you can stretch your budget to $600, I would suggest the Woo Audio WA6. It can drive a wide variety of phones, both high and low impedance, and has a great selection of tubes.

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 16
That's a bit much for me. I knew that was better, but is the WA3 that much worse?

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 16
The Rudistor NX-03 can drive pretty much everything, but that is financially out of your reach as well..bummer
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #9 of 16
Keep your eyes peeled on the for sale forums here as well as audiogon. I got my Cayin HA-1A for under $500 and with the right tubes it can really bring music to life.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks to all the posters. The $500 limit is kinda set for now, above that will be another upgrade in years as I am a teenager right now with limited income. The millet max, how much would it cost for someone to build, does anyone know? And Would it drive almost anything well.

And any other opinions on the lunch box. The only reason I keep asking is because it seems good for the price, and I don't hear about it much around here.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 16
mg head is not bad, have you tried different tubes for it yet? i remember liking tung sols best with that amp. you should consider a source upgrade first.

but if you insist on a new amp, there is a berning micro zotl for sale in the forum right now for 5 bills which i consider in my top 5 amps ever made (audio valve rkv right behind it), don't let the price discourage you, and it's not some new chinese wonder toy either...

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 16
About $210 seems right for the parts/shipping-cost of a "well-built" Millet Hybrid Max.. while more money can get you boutique caps and nicer casing.

I've seen some used ones on the forums for around $220.
If you want to build one yourself, or commission someone to build it, plan to spend another $50-100 on top of parts cost.

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 16
Hmm, the Woo does sound very good.

Panda, For source I mostly use My Denon DVD2910,, not the E-mu. And I think the Denon sounds very good. As for the asl, It just cant handle the K701s I have. And I will look into the others.

JamesL: Ok Thanks, that will be an option too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back