I want some Schiit?
Mar 18, 2021 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ABuilder

Head-Fier
I'm building a desktop system to go with my computer. Music and gaming. Anyways, I was looking at the Schiit stuff and was thinking of starting there but was unsure about their DAC options and if I would be better off with a Jotunheim or if the Magnius/Modius would work fine. If I went Jotunheim, should I get a separate DAC like the Modius or should I go with one of the DAC options on the Jotunheim. They have the AK4490 or the True Multibit DAC but I don't know anything about either or what I would gain by upping to the Bifrost. I seem to just talk myself up since I don't know anything.

Headphones I was considering are the Sundaras, the Audeze LCD-X, or springing for some Clears or HD800S. Also considering trying a closed back set of Beyers.

Was originally thinking Modius/Magnius but maybe spending a little more now makes more sense. I guess I would rather just do it right. Not sure tube are an option since I have a strong electric motor in the room that can cause EMI issues.

What should I buy?

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 7
My vote would be for Jotunheim 2 with the Multibit card if all you need is USB in on the DAC. Tons of power in single ended or balanced.

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Are you super attached to having balanced (thus needing a magnius-modius or Jotunheim rather than, say, an Asgard 3)? I have to admit that I do not have experience running balanced, but from the research I have been doing I have been drawn more to single-ended. Especially because it costs more to invest in balanced cables, and from what I understand, the single-ended on the Magnius is not as good as its balanced. If you are totally invested in balanced, it might be the right choice, but I found the Asgard to be an appealing option, especially given its soundstage and fun sound compared to the Magnius.

Also interested if anyone has a compelling reason to invest in balanced. I know it can work better for power-hungry headphones, but it seems like single-ended is going to work well for most headphones, and doesn't require the extra investment in cables.

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 7
My vote goes to the Asgard 3 for the single ended. I'm not a fan of their Dac Cards. For budget options I recommend the D10s, but you gotta swap out the chip.
The stock chip produces that " Digital Glare" also found in the Schitt Dacs IMO. It's a slightl harshness, You'll know it when you hear it.
D10s with a swap to the MUSES8920. It will cost you $20 from Mouser but it takes all that grainy digital harshness away, It actually make the D10s smooth, almost tube like.
Asgard,D10s, Chip will set you back like $350ish. You have to go much higher $ wise to get better.
If you have the cash there is better, but personally I don't see the need. This Combo is KILLER!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 7
My vote goes to the Asgard 3 for the single ended. I'm not a fan of their Dac Cards. For budget options I recommend the D10s, but you gotta swap out the chip.
The stock chip produces that " Digital Glare" also found in the Schitt Dacs IMO. It's a slightl harshness, You'll know it when you hear it.
D10s with a swap to the MUSES8920. It will cost you $20 from Mouser but it takes all that grainy digital harshness away, It actually make the D10s smooth, almost tube like.
Asgard,D10s, Chip will set you back like $350ish. You have to go much higher $ wise to get better.
If you have the cash there is better, but personally I don't see the need. This Combo is KILLER!!!
Not meaning to revive an old thread, but is this the chip you're referring to? I'm just using my laptop AUX for my Asgard 3 atm and am considering the D10s for a dac.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nisshinbo/MUSES8920E?qs=sajaCoHCXPSXjuiSCLSDNA==

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Magnius, Modius, and Lokius:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back