I want more music like Zappa, Waits...
Mar 6, 2006 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Scifiguy

Head-Fier
What is some more off-beat crazy genius artists or albums similar to Tom Waits, Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart?

Jazz, metal, blues, folk I don't care I just want more music that you would classify as some of the strangest most original music ever.
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 17
You might like Todd Rundgren. Check out A Wizard, A True Star and Todd.

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chmney
Bumblefoot; Freak Kitchen; Mr. Bungle

icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Also - Estradasphere, Upsilon Acrux, Secret Chiefs 3, Bubblemath, Star of Ash, maudlin of the Well...

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scifiguy
What is some more off-beat crazy genius artists or albums similar to Tom Waits, Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart?

Jazz, metal, blues, folk I don't care I just want more music that you would classify as some of the strangest most original music ever.
icon10.gif

If you stay within the rock genre, you will be somewhat limited. Jazz offers avante-garde of the likes of Sun Ra, for example, and then there are artists like Moondog, who probably defy categorization.

For "rock", you should check out the Residents. The Hampton Grease
Band and Bongwater also come to mind. Also, the Krautrock band Faust.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 17
Tull - Thick as a Brick?

Former Zappa guitarist Adrian Belew's "Lone Rhino" is fun.

King Crimson "Lark's Tongue in Aspect" is pretty wild and noted.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scifiguy

icon10.gif

Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE (Tom Waits appears in the song "Tommy the Cat")

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - I've only heard a few cuts from them, but I would imagine this would be something up your alley.. sort of a freaky mix of prog, metal and theater.

You might like some Japanese artists like The Boredoms and The Ruins.

And of course, there's John Zorn.

You might also want to consider the Melvins, their middle period albums like STONER WITCH and STAG might be to your liking. You never know what these guys are going to do next.

And then lastly, but not leastly, I'd suggest Ween. Their album THE POD, at least to me, is one of the most genius "twisted gunius" albums ever. But if you're not into Scotchguard and Pork-roll, egg and Cheese, then you might not get the joke.

-jar

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 17
Nice to see some love for Hampton Grease Band. Col Bruce Hampton was obviously influenced heavily by Captain Beefheart so that's a natural. The Hampton Grease Band evolved into the Aquarium Rescue Unit so you might want to try them out as well. Very talented musicians freaking out.

I'll second the recomendation for Zappa band alum Adrian Belew. He recently released two new albums, "Side One" and "Side Two" that are worth checking out. Belew's been part of King Crimson since the early eighties. Like Zappa, Crimson is very intricate musically. Unlike Zappa, Crimson tends to be driven by Robert Fripp's personality which is much more serious than Zappa's.

Another Zappa band alum, Steve Vai has some interesting work - his early stuff is heavily influenced by his time with Zappa.

And since we were just talking about him in another thread, I'll throw in a vote for Tonio K's first two albums, "Life in the Foodchain" and "Amerika". Not nearly as dense and intricate musically as the aforementioned, but literate, ironic, twisted lyrics rapped up in very good melodies.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 17
Zappa and Waits are both one-of-a-kinds... and i'm huge fans of both.

in the vague realm of Waits, i'd recommend:

Nick Cave - dark, gothic and highly literate.
Elvis Costello - the other great songwriter of the 70s/80s/90s.
Vic Chesnutt - highly personal songs that reveal more with each listen.

Zappa is trickier, as he's not just a songwriter, but a virtuoso and composer:

Captain Beefheart - his bizarre masterpiece, Trout Mask Replica, isn't for everyone, but it was produced by Zappa. they grew up together.
John Zorn - +1 for this. no humor, but a great avant gardist. his more recent material with various incarnations of his Masada project are the most accessible.
Funkadelic - this might sound strange, but they had a pretty off-kilter view of the universe, great instrumentation and virtuosity. they are brainfood for the booty. (as they say, free your mind and your asswill follow)
Frank Zappa - if you really dig Zappa... just buy everything in his discography. it's pretty large, so i imagine you haven't completed your collection yet.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
And then lastly, but not leastly, I'd suggest Ween. Their album THE POD, at least to me, is one of the most genius "twisted gunius" albums ever. But if you're not into Scotchguard and Pork-roll, egg and Cheese, then you might not get the joke.

bow before the boognish, mang.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 17
Try the new Liars album "Drum's Not Dead" - very percussive and industrial, and by far the most interesting sounding album I have heard this year, with its droning guitars and vocals. Or for that matter the earlier "They Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top" is just as good. Both are in the avantgarde confrontational spirit of Zappa and Waits.

Or Deerhoof - "The Runners Four" or "Milk Man" are not only insane, but also supremely well played and actually listenable in places.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
You might like Todd Rundgren. Check out A Wizard, A True Star and Todd.

Yes, yes, YES!!!

Todd Rundgren, hands down, in the exact same league as Beefheart, Zappa, and Waits. Thank you so much for recommending this - now I know there is somebody else on these boards who feels strongly as me for Todd.

Todd is an underlooked avant-garde master in the rock genre. Buy the album "A Wizard/A True Star" immediately!

I would also go check out some John Zorn (especially "Naked City"). Sun Ra will give you a great taste of absolute craziness that you seldom find in music. Check out "Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy" from him. "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" (I THINK this is the name of the band, it may be slightly innacurate) is a great band with some sort of strange cross between a sound of David Byrne and Captain Beefheart. Frank Black is a rising avant-garde star, worth some checking out. If you're looking for beats similar to Zappa's stuff, check out The Disco Biscuits, The Steve Kimock Band, and, most importantly, The Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. Similar to JFJO are bands like Medeski Martin and Wood.

Hope this helps any.

Mar 15, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 17
Mike Keneally!

Mike was Vai's replacement and toured with FZ during the legendary 1988 tour. He is the closest thing I've yet heard to the uninhibited, blow-it-all-out-and-see-who-listens style of FZ's late-70's - early-80's era.

He's a musical genius, an astounding guitarist who's facility with the instrument is only rivaled by his facility with the piano and best of all he accessable 24-7 via his internet radio station, www.radiokeneally.com.

Cool things about Mike:
1. Radio Keneally
2. Regular tours with various bands
3. www.keneally.com website
4. Encourages taping of his shows, active traders have an offical website
5. Tours guitar stores in support of Taylor accoustic guitars
6. Is really nice and unaffected by Rock Star Syndrome (tm)
7-1,000,000. Go listen and fill the list in yourself.

Shrink - kudos for the Bongwater referal! THAT was a fun band - WAYYYY ahead of their time. "Double Bummer" is a classic! Kramer's solo record "The Guilt Trip" is on my perpetual top 10!

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back