I want a watch, not a piece of jewelry
Oct 1, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
skagen are prone to breaking

Have you had one that broke? I haven't herd that they are prone to breaking, mine is close to a year old and it's just fine. Now the 2 Fossil's I've bought
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20
for budget outdoor, all-weather watches i say japan-made casio g-shock. for everyday watches ill go with japanese-made seiko, orient star, etc

I have an original G-Shock that I bought around 1993, that watch was a durable beast...The original battery is still going! The only problem the plastic around the face has dried and cracked off, so no way to put a new band on it
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 64
The Hamilton Field watch would be a nice daily wrist buddy.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Budget?

For lower budgets, Citizen, Seiko, St. Moritz and Casio make very good-looking watches that work with all outfits. Mmm, EcoDrive Ti.

For LOW budgets, go for the Timex Expedition metal-bracelet series. It looks more expensive watches but costs much less.
icon10.gif

+1 for Eco Drive. I have a Ti Chronograph eco drive watch that I've worn for the past year with no problems. Amazon has good prices on these watches and they are an authorized dealer. Good luck
-Steve

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 64
Omega speedmaster of your choice for the win.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE

Not under $300, bud. Still a lovely watch, but expensive. I'd rather get some headphones.

My favorite in daily use that I would LOVE to get: St. Moritz Pathfinder Field Watch. Link.
4016336_v1_m56577569830485805.jpg

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #21 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE

How is an Omega Speedmaster not a piece of jewelry? It's also quite above the OP's set budget.

I personally like Skagen, they make high quality watches (Or at least they used to), for a fair price. I've had one of their older style titaniums for the past five years and it has served me well. It's battery even lasted for nearly three years! The guy was shocked when he opened up the casing to stick a new one in.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I want an Ecodrive chrono that a girl can pull off, but there are scarce few chronos that a girl can wear, much less an ecodrive.

How about this one:
FA2010-14D.jpg
?
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 1, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb
Have you had one that broke? I haven't herd that they are prone to breaking, mine is close to a year old and it's just fine.

Last time I looked up reviews on Skagens, they seemed like they had some QC problems with markers and hands just falling off inside the case.

http://www.reviewwatches.com/brands/skagen_watches.asp

I bought two Skagens recently, and I try to baby my watches...I hate having scratched LCDs. So I'll see how it goes. Still, I'd make sure to buy from an authorized dealer in case you do need warranty repairs.

Oct 1, 2006 at 9:22 AM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
How about this one:
FA2010-14D.jpg
?
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I know, I've seen it, and once again, the women get the fashions from the reject pile, I mean honestly!
tongue.gif

I'd rather go for the Tissot T-race than that one.

/yet, someone will buy it.
wink.gif

That and most leather wrist bands make my wrist break out. I don't know why since otherwise I can handle leather goods with no side effects, I guess it's something in how they treat it? It doesn't happen all the time, just most of the time.

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:15 AM Post #25 of 64
Seiko Spirit?

My wallet has already started to feel a major pain with this.

0001.jpg

Regards,

L.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #26 of 64
This is the watch I'm wearing on a day to day basis. Not as expensive as some of the other watches suggested: around $200

It's full stainless steel, 50m water resistant, Seiko (Japanese) movement, assembled in Japan, chronograph accurate to 1/20 second for up to 12 hours, synthetic crystal-glass face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
Seiko Spirit?

My wallet has already started to feel a major pain with this.

image deleted

Regards,

L.

Wow! Nice watch!

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #27 of 64
For electronic/quartz watches almost the entire cost of the watch goes into its "outside" - the crystal, bracelet, face and case. The inside (quartz movement), regardless of brand, basically cost a dollar or two.

So when buying a quartz watch inspect the outside carefully, if it feels flimsy and like something that could easily break - it's probably not worth the money.

Try to get a watch that uses sapphire crystal as it is nearly impossible to scratch.

Most respected among the quartz watches are; Seiko and Pulsar, and to some degree Citizen and Casio. Tag-Heuer's quartz watches are generally considered waaay overprized. Tissot used to ve very respected, but i think the went bust many years ago - then somebody bought the brand and started making quartz watches under the Tissot name.

Also, i would not recommed a watch that uses titanium in the case or bracelet as it is common to use low grade titanium that scratces very easily (and scratched titanium looks really ugly). A few watches uses aircraft grade titanium that doesnt scratch easily but they cost mucho $$$.

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #28 of 64
I simply love Swatch Chronos...

swatch.jpg

Notice the watch on the left (with aluminium belt), that was the '04 limited edition Olympic watch. Sad thing was, the humidity (and my sweaty wrist) here was too much for the leather belt.

Oct 1, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #29 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247
The Hamilton Field watch would be a nice daily wrist buddy.

There's a great reccomendation. I have three Hamilton's (two khakis and a jazzmaster) and all are very well made, function flawlessly, and look great too.

As for everyone else's reccomendations, I would also look long and hard at Citizen and Seiko for your next watch. Both brands are very well made and are relatively inexpensive. I would seriously think about buying online at an authorized dealer instead of going to a local jewelry store o get the most for your money. Most jewelry stores will mark these brands off 10-20% but you can find 25-50% discounts online routinely.

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torm
Most respected among the quartz watches are; Seiko and Pulsar, and to some degree Citizen and Casio. Tag-Heuer's quartz watches are generally considered waaay overprized. Tissot used to ve very respected, but i think the went bust many years ago - then somebody bought the brand and started making quartz watches under the Tissot name.

Meh, depends on who you ask. A looooooooot of people heavily prefer Citizen to Seiko. And as for Tissot, yeah they were bought by a small no name company called Swatch, and you're right, it went completely to hell. They're still using saphire crystal, and that crappy ETA 2824-2 movement in their automatics.
wink.gif
I tell ya the quality has just gone so downhill.
evil_smiley.gif

edit - speaking of olympic swatch chronos, I have a Swatch Gold Medal on the way - it's so very "swatch" and I'm trying to talk myself into getting the Seiko S-wave midsize chrono I spotted, instead of the Swatch skin chrono "on the road." I mean, the skin chronos are tiny and thin, ok so it's plastic, but it's still interesting, dangit. I know I should get the Seiko but...

And that's the danger of Swatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back