I- Tunes Question
Nov 3, 2008 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SEABREEZE

100+ Head-Fier
I have my present music library in wav lossless,( windoes media player ) and I want to purchase a ipod , will this present a problem converting it over to I Tunes apple lossles, so I can then transfer to an ipod .

If there is info on this , just point me in the right direction, and I will be glad to research on my own.

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 11
Yes, as long as you have windows media lossless (or whatever that is called, it should be an easy switch. The last time I checked (was quite a while ago now) you could just drag and drop WMA into iTunes and it will automatically convert it to whatever you have the iTunes converter set at. So make sure it's set to apple lossless.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want to put lossless files into your iPod for your music library? You're basically committing foul murder upon your battery.

Which is why iTunes desperately needs an on-the-fly transcoder!!! Please, Apple? It has one for the Shuffle, why not for other iPods?

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 11
Should be no problem at all.
iTunes accept wav files, and allow you to encode them to Apple Lossless, AAC or MP3 if you prefer so.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be no problem at all.
iTunes accept wav files, and allow you to encode them to Apple Lossless, AAC or MP3 if you prefer so.

No problem, except that all the metadata (if present in Windows Media Player) would be lost
wink_face.gif

I would personally take care of the conversion by first using WMP to convert all the WAVs to WMA Lossless, and then set up iTunes (as suggested previously) to convert to Apple Lossless. Adding the batch of WMA Lossless files to the iTunes library should result in a conversion to Apple Lossless with (at least most of) the metadata intact.

Nov 3, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #8 of 11
Thank you to everyone who shined in on my question, much appreciated ! ! !

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamcma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is why iTunes desperately needs an on-the-fly transcoder!!! Please, Apple? It has one for the Shuffle, why not for other iPods?

Yeah, the best solution for this seems to be 2 copies of everything, separated using smart playlists, it's what I'm currently using. It's not ideal... but transcoding on the fly has it's flaws as well.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by paradoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apple lossless is not a open-form, I don't like that....

Well, the specification and encoders/decoders by Apple is not open.
But there are one open-source encoder and at least two open-source decoders out there. FFmpeg, alac and maybe more.

But we are of course free to like it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back