I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
Aug 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #153 of 406
I got a K550 for one month and it sounds really great for classical music. How does DT660 compare to it?

I just compared them with some Schoenberg and Beethoven and rather liked the AKG 550 for
Its great soundstage , smooth sound and nice details.
The DT 660 sounds less warm and I know in some setups can sound harsh but has a more natural , Beyer, detailed sound , more headfi .
As I remember it was the Dt660 that got me into buying my first tubeamp and as it goes one thing let to the other. So be warned.
The AKG 550 perfoms good with a portable setup as well as my home system ( Gungnir, Lyr), I use it as my travel alrounder.
So if you want to make it easy on yourself enjoy the AKG550.
If you search for audiophylic trouble (and bliss) think about the DT660 ( or Senn HD800)

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #154 of 406
Quote:
I just compared them with some Schoenberg and Beethoven and rather liked the AKG 550 for
Its great soundstage , smooth sound and nice details.
The DT 660 sounds less warm and I know in some setups can sound harsh but has a more natural , Beyer, detailed sound , more headfi .
As I remember it was the Dt660 that got me into buying my first tubeamp and as it goes one thing let to the other. So be warned.
The AKG 550 perfoms good with a portable setup as well as my home system ( Gungnir, Lyr), I use it as my travel alrounder.
So if you want to make it easy on yourself enjoy the AKG550.
If you search for audiophylic trouble (and bliss) think about the DT660 ( or Senn HD800)

Thanks. How about the difference in comfort? I always think K550 is superb comfort wise, but its cups are probably too big for my small ears. Does DT660 clamp the head too much? I have the habit of wearing headphone for hours listening to classical music.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #155 of 406
Quote:
Thanks. How about the difference in comfort? I always think K550 is superb comfort wise, but its cups are probably too big for my small ears. Does DT660 clamp the head too much? I have the habit of wearing headphone for hours listening to classical music.

The clamp was pretty firm in the beginning but after some hours of usage it loosened up a bit. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #156 of 406

I find them both comfortable. The dt660 is straight over the ear even with my big ears and you are completely sealed off. The 550 is more on and over ear , the cups are less deep but you can rotate and push them , very comfortable indeed.
Dt660 is velour and not easily replacable like the Dt770's.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #157 of 406
Dear DavidMahler:

Some advice please on IEM for classical music. I live in the wilds of Northern Thailand so not able to pop into to try at any store. After reading your extended reviews and scouring through many confusing reviews I bought a pair of HD800 with a portable ALO DAC to use with my new Astel & Kern (now old I suppose with the 120). Result oh so much ear opening pleasure to hear new things from my extensive set of classical music recordings that range from Vivaldi, Victoria, Bach, through Haydn, Schubert, Dvorak to Part, Kancheli, Peteris Vasks and Tuur. My tastes are eclectic in classical music but most are solo instrument, chamber or vocal works rather than large scale symphonies.

Now comes the difficult bit. Over the past 10 years I have broken the cables where they enter the phone of 3 sets, one Shure, and two Sony, and now have purchased a pair of AKG3003. I didnt buy then to join the jetset and promptly ditched the silly leather carry case etc., but because reviewers said their sound was best for classical music. Errm.Oh dear the latter has what I suppose you call a lovely wide soundstage and separation of instruments but they sound shrill and unforgiving with string instruments and plus they don't fit well and have a large tube so that despite using the smallest silicone earbuds they hurt for extended listening and don't seem to fit well at all. I really don't think the recommended 300 hours of listening is going to adjust the sound even with the little bass filters fitted. Why do I want IEMs because I like to listen in bed and my partner is not a classical music fan, the HD800 is not really suitable for most of the kind of listening I do.

I have coming to painful ear and financial conclusion that I will probably have to get another pair. But what? FitEar? which ones amongst the variety now of 335 C435, parterre etc etc Shure 846 etc etc. Do I want Senn with frail looking breakable cables into the phones? I want to ear the warmth and separation of the strings in my beloved chamber music quartets etc, the high treble of boy sopranos and countertenors, female mezzos (um female sopranos with pushy operatic vibrato are a no no to me, I want my music to float effortlessly no bass throb which I loathe). And when I do listen to Haydn symphonies I would like to hear the orchestral separation and when I listen to modern classics I would like to hear the full dynamic range and frequency range which can be tricky and only HD800 so far satisfies me with this. Can I find this in an IEM? I don't mind having a go at getting moulds of my ear canals if needed. I am not in a hurry

So any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Aug 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #158 of 406
David, I asked this on the other thread and wasn't sure if you have heard either the k601 or the newer k612. I was wondering if you think these(dt660) can outclass the akg k601/k612 for listening to classical music.

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #159 of 406
DavidMahler, Is there anything that the dt660 can do better than the dt880 when not considering whether it is open or closed? This is of course assuming that they have enough power driving both of them yet nothing really super high end.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #160 of 406
Quote:
Dear DavidMahler:

Some advice please on IEM for classical music. I live in the wilds of Northern Thailand so not able to pop into to try at any store. After reading your extended reviews and scouring through many confusing reviews I bought a pair of HD800 with a portable ALO DAC to use with my new Astel & Kern (now old I suppose with the 120). Result oh so much ear opening pleasure to hear new things from my extensive set of classical music recordings that range from Vivaldi, Victoria, Bach, through Haydn, Schubert, Dvorak to Part, Kancheli, Peteris Vasks and Tuur. My tastes are eclectic in classical music but most are solo instrument, chamber or vocal works rather than large scale symphonies.

Now comes the difficult bit. Over the past 10 years I have broken the cables where they enter the phone of 3 sets, one Shure, and two Sony, and now have purchased a pair of AKG3003. I didnt buy then to join the jetset and promptly ditched the silly leather carry case etc., but because reviewers said their sound was best for classical music. Errm.Oh dear the latter has what I suppose you call a lovely wide soundstage and separation of instruments but they sound shrill and unforgiving with string instruments and plus they don't fit well and have a large tube so that despite using the smallest silicone earbuds they hurt for extended listening and don't seem to fit well at all. I really don't think the recommended 300 hours of listening is going to adjust the sound even with the little bass filters fitted. Why do I want IEMs because I like to listen in bed and my partner is not a classical music fan, the HD800 is not really suitable for most of the kind of listening I do.

I have coming to painful ear and financial conclusion that I will probably have to get another pair. But what? FitEar? which ones amongst the variety now of 335 C435, parterre etc etc Shure 846 etc etc. Do I want Senn with frail looking breakable cables into the phones? I want to ear the warmth and separation of the strings in my beloved chamber music quartets etc, the high treble of boy sopranos and countertenors, female mezzos (um female sopranos with pushy operatic vibrato are a no no to me, I want my music to float effortlessly no bass throb which I loathe). And when I do listen to Haydn symphonies I would like to hear the orchestral separation and when I listen to modern classics I would like to hear the full dynamic range and frequency range which can be tricky and only HD800 so far satisfies me with this. Can I find this in an IEM? I don't mind having a go at getting moulds of my ear canals if needed. I am not in a hurry

So any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Hey there Largo, since we have been conversing via PM I won't respond to this here, but I wanted you to know I saw your inquiry. :)
Quote:
David, I asked this on the other thread and wasn't sure if you have heard either the k601 or the newer k612. I was wondering if you think these(dt660) can outclass the akg k601/k612 for listening to classical music.

I believe I heard the K601 years ago and I haven't heard the K612.  I don't really know for certain how it compares.  I think the real attraction with the DT660 is that because of its closed nature (and decent isolating grip) it offers a distinct advantage over many other headphones for the classical listener.
Quote:
DavidMahler, Is there anything that the dt660 can do better than the dt880 when not considering whether it is open or closed? This is of course assuming that they have enough power driving both of them yet nothing really super high end.

Hmm, that's a great question.  I think probably in some instances the DT660 may be superior for small ensemble work, but I think this will really be up to the listener to decide.  

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #161 of 406
Thanks for your reply. Anyway, I decided to take a risk and get the k612 and if it doesn't work out for me, I'll just get something safe that I already like... The hd650. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #162 of 406
Did anyone compare the Beyerdynamic DT660 with the Ortofon O-One for classical music? 

I realize that the Ortofon O-One is not very popular, but it has been singled out as a particularly good for classical music, and it is an apparently similar-sized closed back headphone.  Someone on the thread commented that the DT660 appearance and build is similar to that of some Ultrasones.  The O-One is actually a close relative of the Ultrasone DJ-Pro, but with a driver that is not found in any Ultrasone.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #163 of 406
I have found myself listening to more and more classical recently and finally gave these a shot.  Out of the box, the comfort isn't great.  Switching the velour pads for some softer J$ Beyer pads helped immensely.  Still a bit of pressure on top of the head since the pad is smaller, but ok for hours at a time.  Isolation is very good.  I agree that for a closed can, this is excellent for classical music.  They still don't come close to my HD800s in realism, but are quite good considering they cost me 1/10th what I paid for the HD800s.  Easily driven out of my phone.  Not a whole lot of change driven out of a larger amp.  I do wish there was a hair more bass weight and warmth through the mids.  Not a lot, just a touch.  Then they would be excellent all-rounders.  

As they are, they are perfect for when I want to listen to classical or orchestral and need the isolation.  Not sure if I will keep them since they aren't fantastic as an all rounder. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #164 of 406
  I have found myself listening to more and more classical recently and finally gave these a shot.  Out of the box, the comfort isn't great.  Switching the velour pads for some softer J$ Beyer pads helped immensely.  Still a bit of pressure on top of the head since the pad is smaller, but ok for hours at a time.  Isolation is very good.  I agree that for a closed can, this is excellent for classical music.  They still don't come close to my HD800s in realism, but are quite good considering they cost me 1/10th what I paid for the HD800s.  Easily driven out of my phone.  Not a whole lot of change driven out of a larger amp.  I do wish there was a hair more bass weight and warmth through the mids.  Not a lot, just a touch.  Then they would be excellent all-rounders.  

As they are, they are perfect for when I want to listen to classical or orchestral and need the isolation.  Not sure if I will keep them since they aren't fantastic as an all rounder. 

They do need quite some time to settle in, the mids will get softer and bass will get more prominent..I streched them out a night or two, which made the clamp more acceptable, and my head is pretty big ..

They do small settings jazz very good as well
rolleyes.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #165 of 406
  They do need quite some time to settle in, the mids will get softer and bass will get more prominent..I streched them out a night or two, which made the clamp more acceptable, and my head is pretty big ..

They do small settings jazz very good as well
rolleyes.gif

I will give them at least a month of time since I should be getting a new amp I want to try them with by then.  I really want to like them and keep them.  Their main competition for space in my collection are the T50RPs and Senn Momentums.  Neither are as good with classical, but both do a good job with everything else are are more comfortable (at the moment).  Trying to get down to just 3 sets (HD800, closed all-rounder, IEM).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back