I truly believe these are one of the best Classical Music headphones I've ever heard
May 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #136 of 406
SRH1440 are open.
DT660 are closed.
So would you re-qualify that statement specific to that fundamental design difference?

And as an aside, do the DT660 isolate well?

May 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #137 of 406
I was actually reacting to DavidMahler's recommendation of the SRH1840 which is open. I think the SRH1440 is more neutral and better suited to classical music and at a lower price.

The SRH940 is closed and has a very similar sound to the SRH1440. Being open the SRH1440 has a bit more air and a slightly bigger soundstage... no isolation, of course. If isolation or having a closed phone is a priority, I recommend the SRH940. It doesn't get much attention here, but to me, it has darn near top tier sound, and for my preference, is quite a bit better than any other $300 closed phone for classical except maybe the Maddogs which have a darker sound. IMHO violins need treble extension to really sing. The Maddogs don't have the necessary extension.

May 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #138 of 406
Quote:
I was actually reacting to DavidMahler's recommendation of the SRH1840 which is open. I think the SRH1440 is more neutral and better suited to classical music and at a lower price.

The SRH1440 is more neutral than the SRH1840? I had the opposite impression... but I never compared them side to side.

May 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #139 of 406
Quote:

The SRH940 is closed and has a very similar sound to the SRH1440. Being open the SRH1440 has a bit more air and a slightly bigger soundstage... no isolation, of course. If isolation or having a closed phone is a priority, I recommend the SRH940. It doesn't get much attention here, but to me, it has darn near top tier sound, and for my preference, is quite a bit better than any other $300 closed phone for classical except maybe the Maddogs which have a darker sound. IMHO violins need treble extension to really sing. The Maddogs don't have the necessary extension.

Well, I have to tell you. I owned the SRH840 and had to sell them. Sounded OK... (like my M-50's, kinda), but they were un-wearable. One of the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever worn.
I've never tried the 940, but the headband design looks different...

May 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #140 of 406
It's different. Padded and comfort is decent. There is a reliability issue, however.

The sound is definitely different (read:better) than the SRH840.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #143 of 406
Quote:

When I first tried these I was underwhelmed.  I had a preconception that because the headphones were closed back that they would resemble the DT770 in a way and have that extra impact bass.  These headphones are in fact so pronouncedly different from every other Beyer I've tried, that I wasn't sure what to make them at first.  They are flat as my ears have ever heard!

As I began to try out different music with them, I was fascinated by the way they represented sound.  The bass is there, but not ultra "impactful" and the midrange feels extremely revealing and the highs while present are not fatiguing.  The soundstage depth is also very good here.  Since trying these I have been more inclined to do some critical listening away from my Home Rig - something my girlfriend appreciates! :)

I was listening to Mahler's 5th Symphony conducted by Claudio Abbado with the Berlin Philharmonic and it occurred to me that more than any other headphone I've ever heard directly out of an iPod, the DT660 represented something very honest and accurate and made classical music sound alive in a way which I did not ever dream was possible with just an iPod.  I plugged these into my TTVJ Millett 307a at home using an MSB Platinum DAC III and I was just stunned at the refinement.  It sounded absolutely amazing with the Beyerdynamic A1 as well.  For my enjoyment, these do classical better than DT770, DT880, DT990 and is on par with the T1 and T5P in classical.  The T5P which I reviewed as a classical portable, I feel now is perhaps eclipsed by the DT660.  I want to attempt to bring this headphone to the forefront for classical music lovers looking to have a portable option.  I don't recommend this headphone for rock or pop and certainly not hip hop, but for classical music......I would recommend this headphone over many pricier headphones even when amped on the most glorious of systems. 

I am posting my Headphones.com review below.  I hope others who have the DT660s will comment below.  This headphone certainly deserves much more attention.

CLASSICALLY GOOD SOUND
[size=12pt]If you’re looking for a full-size headphone to listen to classical music right out of your portable player, then there is no better choice than the Beyerdynamic DT660.  Not only is the sound perfectly suited for classical music, but the isolation provided by the closed back ear cups is perfect for office use.  [/size]

[size=12pt]THE FIT & FINISH[/size]
[size=12pt]These, like other Beyerdynamic full-size headphones are extremely comfortable.  The ear cups encapsulate the ear in soft black velour.  I am able to sleep in these – and sure enough, I have! It’s easy to lie down with because of the one-sided cable.  But perhaps the most impressive feat of this headphone’s design is the superb amount of isolation offered by the closed back design.  While these do not have an active noise cancellation feature, they attenuate outside noise very well – the best I have heard for a headphone without an active noise canceling feature.  The headphones also have a 90 degree swiveling ear cup feature, for easy storage and wearing when not in use.  I would have preferred if the headphones swiveled so that if you are wearing them on your neck, the ear cups would rest on your collar bone rather than face outward leaving the metal back to sit against your collar bone.  Even still, it is a nice feature to have for storage purposes.[/size]

[size=12pt]WHAT ABOUT THE SOUND?[/size]
[size=12pt]These headphones are a classical lover’s dream.  Out of a portable player I find they offer a more realistic portrayal of orchestral, chamber and piano works than any other headphone I have encountered.  The bass is not overwhelming here.  Many headphones emphasize bass for the visceral effect it has.  With many genres this coloration is a fantastic enhancement, but with classical music, this coloration can often detract from the listening experience.  The DT660 are extremely EXTREMELY flat/neutral – to the point where some listeners may find that it lacks a bit of a “wow-factor”.  The mid-range feels flat and the treble while nicely extended has some slight roll-off in the higher end of the region, presumably to reduce fatigue.  Those who pair the DT660 with electric instrumentation (pop/rock) and/or heavy percussion (hip-hop/reggae) will probably perceive them as excessively bright and or lacking in weight and depth.  But for classical music these headphones are a great success.[/size]

[size=12pt]IN THE STUDIO[/size]
[size=12pt]When recording orchestral musicians onto a prerecorded track, I often reach for these.  The closed-back design prevents much sound from reaching the microphone.  The headphones are tuned in a way which spotlights most acoustic instruments and therefore I don’t typically EQ the cue-mix.  [/size]

[size=12pt]LAST WORD[/size]
[size=12pt]Very rarely do I feel that headphone was tailored with a specific-type listener in mind.  If you find that your iPod has been unable to satisfy your desire for realistic classical presentation, then the DT660 are the headphones you are looking for.  They are tuned with the ear that prefers air over oomph.[/size]

FULL SIZE FOR PORTABLE USE RATING CHART
Sound Quality: 9.5 (tuned for neutrality – best with classical music)
Comfort: 9
Design & Features: 8.5
Isolation: 7
Value: 10

How do they compare to HD800 for classical music? As a closed headphones they could be good backup.

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #144 of 406
Quote:
What do you guys think about the Q701 for classical music?

It's very good for classical
Quote:
How do they compare to HD800 for classical music? As a closed headphones they could be good backup.

I think the HD800 are in a different league, but the DT660 is a great choice for closed!

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #145 of 406
well, after buying an a900x and selling it because i thought the bass too much for my classical music,
i am having a hard time deciding between the ad900x and this.
both are about the same price here, and ive heard the ad900x, and love the sound and air.
but no shop in korea has these dt660s for audition.
they have the 440, 770 880 990 but no 660. sigh.

which would you recommend david?
i know you rated the ad900 higher on your flagship reviews,
but was wondering what your preference would be for only classical music running out of a clip zip.
i listen mainly to orchestra, piano concertos and piano. not much vocal and not much wind. mostly piano and strings
i dont have a pref for closed or open. i want to use it when im dozing off to sleep and not using the stereo.

thanks!

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #146 of 406
Quote:
well, after buying an a900x and selling it because i thought the bass too much for my classical music,
i am having a hard time deciding between the ad900x and this.
both are about the same price here, and ive heard the ad900x, and love the sound and air.
but no shop in korea has these dt660s for audition.
they have the 440, 770 880 990 but no 660. sigh.

which would you recommend david?
i know you rated the ad900 higher on your flagship reviews,
but was wondering what your preference would be for only classical music running out of a clip zip.
i listen mainly to orchestra, piano concertos and piano. not much vocal and not much wind. mostly piano and strings
i dont have a pref for closed or open. i want to use it when im dozing off to sleep and not using the stereo.

thanks!

I may opt for the DT660 going portably because of the isolation! :)

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #147 of 406
Quote:
I may opt for the DT660 going portably because of the isolation! :)

im actually not using it as a portable. im just using a clip zip because i dont have a headphone amp.
i only use full size cans in my room and so isolation isnt a factor.
so, on sound alone, which would you choose?

the reason im being a bit picky is that the dt660 has no resell value in korea, and so if i get it it'll be for good, whereas the ad900x i need to import from japan.
thanks!

Aug 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #148 of 406
This guy loves them even with rap. He said better than beats for rap so there you go. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #149 of 406
ended up getting the dt660 since there was someone selling it in korea second hand.

and i totally agree that these are great classical cans!
great mids, just the right amount of bass, neutral, airy even though closed.
i cant quite make the same claim that david did since i havent heard many closed cans (limited to es10, k550, a900x, momentums and the like)
but def the best classical can of them all!

great find, thanks david

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #150 of 406
Quote:
ended up getting the dt660 since there was someone selling it in korea second hand.

and i totally agree that these are great classical cans!
great mids, just the right amount of bass, neutral, airy even though closed.
i cant quite make the same claim that david did since i havent heard many closed cans (limited to es10, k550, a900x, momentums and the like)
but def the best classical can of them all!

great find, thanks david

Great buy! Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back