I totally hate itunes is there an alernative?
Dec 6, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 54
wrong. media ripping is the less relevant half of the issue. getting the cd is the other. neither are as convenient as one click song purchases online - even with automatic cd ripping.

buying cds does not allow you to buy singles. - another convenience issue.

my selection comment was mostly regarding buying music locally. i was frantically looking for 2 cds this past week for a gift and i could not find them at 2 big box stores and 2 mom and pop music stores. the person i was buying them for bought both albums online easy as pie. instant gratification. i obviously could have found the cds online, but then convenience takes a hit again with shipping costs and wait time.

note: i have not and do not plan to purchase music from online services with lossy and drmed files. i can, however, acknowledge that it has many advantages to a large majority of consumers and that it will continue to thrive. it is anything but punching yourself in the face for most of the population.

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #32 of 54
Aman says:
Quote:

Absolutely every function on Songbird works for me.

Extracted three times and updated once. Will not load my library. All I got was the spinning beach ball. Let it go all night. Nothing.

EDIT: I tried it on a smaller portable library and it does seem to be loading. Is there a library size limit?

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #33 of 54
OK folks, you've given me something to think about. I notice the lower "grade" of music off Itunes, since I rip CDs at a higher quality than Itunes. BUUT since I own a retail store and play Ipod thru the store's music system, I usually buy generic stuff--light jazz, feamle vocal, 40s big band, that sorta stuff--to play in store then bop, classical and female vocalists toplay at home/in private. So it's Itunes for background store music nd ripped CDs for myself. In other words, don't care about sound purity for store music, but do for my personal stuff

That said: can I "toggle" between Itunes and other sources, like mediamonkey or others like that? Thanks for all thehelp

Dec 6, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
I own a retail store and play Ipod thru the store's music system, I usually buy generic stuff

i'm pretty sure thats illegal.

mediamonkey is just a software program, not a download service. yes you can use both itunes and mediamonkey for transfers.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #35 of 54
Hey, zip: yeah you're probably right. Will give you my address if you want and you can call the Music Police. I mean what the hell, everything else in my business is regulated up the wazoo eityher by the govt. or special interest groups: , might as well regulate my music too. Obviously, you're not a small business owner.

Not mad--trust me. Just kiddin' around
280smile.gif

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #37 of 54
I'm a newbie etc. Still I don't understand why everyone hates iTunes. I find it to be absolutely elegant. I'm reripping my CDs as Apple Lossless then converting them to 192VBR for my iPod. Smart playlists manage the whole thing. Autosynching is flawless. Browsing iTunes with my albums sorted by Album by Year is very nice. (I have album art for every disc; Google Images or Wikipedia for the art that I can't get free through iTunes.)

Anyway I guess that some really hate it. Personally I think it's the nicest piece of software on my PC.

Dec 6, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the huge reason is convenience. second is selection.

Well its not exactly "conventient" a year later when you have spend your money and you have to chose between
a) losing thousands of dollars of locked-down music you dont even own, or
b) sticking with an MP3 player that you dont want becuase the one you DO want cannto play the borrowed music you thought you had "Bought"

Bottom line is that there is no such thing as "convenience" the moment you buy DRM'd music. It is "convenient" for the record company and the online seller (actually renter) but NOT for you.

Also just commons sense for me is that there is no logic to spending money to rent a DRM track, in fact a bad 128kbps copy of that track, when I can own it my self on CD and nobody forcing me to play on x device or y device and nobody can force me not to share with my friends.

So much for the "convenience" claim there...

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #39 of 54
you missed

c) rip the tracks to a cd and re-import them.

the moment you buy the music is the moment when the convenience shines through. look up convenient or convenience. you will see that one click music downloads are by far the most convenient way to purchase music.

i agree in the long term, it can cause some inconveniences, but i doubt the majority of consumers are thinking that far down the road. if they are thinking ahead, they are comfortable with the brand or brands they have been set with.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

you missed

c) rip the tracks to a cd and re-import them..

ie C)take your rented 128 kbps track and turn it into what about half that again.

Fantastic. Very "convenient", this incredible shrinking quality of music.

Thanks, but no thanks. I personally will not ever be renting any of these fax-quality imitation music. It it aint a DRM-free FLAC, I wont pay. Period.

Enough is enough with record companies asking for more and more money and giving you less and less. Technology is supposed to be used to improve your ability to get quality sound, not to reduce it.

Dec 6, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a lighter note my pair of Jordan's retro IV arrived today and I must say that they are heavenly (even though I can't dribble a ball to save my life)

Wow, $250 kicks. What do you like about them? What's the value proposition?

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #42 of 54
better than your option a) by a fair margin. i'm not sure what you meant by "turn it into what about half that again".

music online is cheaper than cds and has actually brough the prices of cds down. you pay less, and get less, but its a lot easier to get.

it is very obvious you and i agree that downloadable music is not an option for our own personal collections. that is not what i am proposing. i am explaining that it makes music buying much much easier for the average consumer. ABXing with their equipment, do you honestly believe they would find a significnant difference? i don't.

Dec 7, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

wrong. media ripping is the less relevant half of the issue. getting the cd is the other. neither are as convenient as one click song purchases online - even with automatic cd ripping.

buying cds does not allow you to buy singles. - another convenience issue.

my selection comment was mostly regarding buying music locally. i was frantically looking for 2 cds this past week for a gift and i could not find them at 2 big box stores and 2 mom and pop music stores. the person i was buying them for bought both albums online easy as pie. instant gratification. i obviously could have found the cds online, but then convenience takes a hit again with shipping costs and wait time.

note: i have not and do not plan to purchase music from online services with lossy and drmed files. i can, however, acknowledge that it has many advantages to a large majority of consumers and that it will continue to thrive. it is anything but punching yourself in the face for most of the population.

It may not be a punch in the face automatically. I mean sure Sometimes music is hard to find, you don't feel like driving to the store or don't want to wait a couple of days for the album to arrive.... sure right then it's all good to order some low quality drmed music

Then one day that person wants a different player and then finds out that the music the purchased off of (insert music service here) won't play on thier new player. That's where the punch in the face comes in!
icon10.gif

Or even better! When that person upgrades from ibuds to better cans and starts hearing the low quality of all that music they purchased... that'll be like a punch in the face too!

So what's the advantages of those two situations? The only people who really get to see that advantage of that is the RIAA. And you say that's not like a punch in the face how?

Dec 7, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #45 of 54
Guys why is this thread still going? I ended my disputes with itunes a while back?

What?!?!?!

Anywho, I don't download my music because it's a lower quality...although I read of a site that sells the music on WMA format for like and extra couple of cents or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, $250 kicks. What do you like about them? What's the value proposition?

Well Bob, there was a picture on the new issue of TIME magazine where a felon was being aprehended by a police officer. How does this matter you ask? Well, he was wearing Jordan's retro IV sneakers!!!!!!
Why do I give a F*&#?!?! You ask again? Well I have the same sneakers!!!!! which means that my kicks have street cred! Holly S&^% that's awesome!!!!

HELL YEAH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back