I took The plunge!
Aug 19, 2002 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

orl2222

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my ety4p's. Wow! these things are amazing. not problem with sealing. I cant wait till i burn them in. Well worth the price of admission!

Aug 19, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 19
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif
(standard greeting) And welcome to Club Ety ! I've had the 4P's for close to three months now and they're really working well for me. What source (and amp if applicable) are you using with them ?

Aug 19, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 19
Good on you. And welcome to the real world of ever-spending. To me, I didn't notice any difference for burning in on 4Ps. Burn in may work with other cans but for the 4Ps they just sound good in regardless of burning in or not.

Aug 19, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 19
I should have bought my ER-4P's, first, instead of spending all that money on other cans. They seem to be a permanent fixture in my ear canals.....
biggrin.gif

BTW, my Etys seemed to sound a bit better after a week or two of use, plus the fact my ears got used to having the rubber tips stuffed into them.

Aug 20, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 19
Haven't tried the foamies, i seem to an ok fit, but i'm gonna experiment with them. Tanks everybody for all thier input!

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 19
Well, for someone who only has 5 posts I think you definitely maximized your dollars spent. But, it's probably not over.

So, orl222 continues to read the Head-Fi forums. Finds out from people with the "big headphone rigs", that you must have a good quality source. They will tell you, "If your front end stinks anything after is a waste." So, orl222 buys a good source.
Next, orl222 runs into the "headphone amp snobs". And, they will tell you, "your system will not be balanced by anything less than the Sudgen Headmaster, or Headroom Maxed Out Home." So, orl222 buys an amp.
Next, orl222 swings by the Headroom website. He sees the ER4P to S conversion cable. He makes a post on Head-Fi asking if this upgrade is worth it. Of course, there are 15 posts all saying the same thing. Yes, upgrade the thing!
Then, orl222 looks at his system for any weaknesses. He noticed that a lot of people on Head-Fi just love those Outlaw interconnects. So, he uses the search button, and finds out what a steal they are. So, he buys the interconnects.
Now, he thinks. Oh, man! I've got all this good **** hooked up with no power conditioner/surge protector. What am I thinking? So, he buys one.
Time has passed, and he thinks maybe I should try a different set of phones. From reading the forums he knows that the HD-600s have a good reputation. So, he buys them.
Then he runs along a post that talks about the synergy of the HD-600s with tube amps. Does the research, and ends up with a killer tube amp.
Next, orl222 finds out what tube rolling is. No need to say more there. Then, someone who sells cables sees his system, and private messages him. They say, "How can you listen to that thing without silver interconnects?" They take his money.
Next, orl222 sees in everyones profile who owns the HD-600s that they have the upgraded headphone cable for the HD-600s. He thinks about it, and says to himself, "these guys are crazy for spending damn near as much on the upgraded cables as the headphones themselves." Bites the bullet, and orders all 3, to try them. Finds out that all are a big improvement, but likes one of them the best. So, he keeps it.
Next, he makes a promise to himself not to spend any more money on headphone equipment.
rolleyes.gif
Especially after hearing about Joelongwood.
orl222 starts to wonder if a source upgrade worked for my big rig, wouldn't it work for my portable rig. And the cycle continues.
And last, but not least, orl222 finds out what tweaks are.
Happy shopping!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 21, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks crecendopower. Ive always tried to update my audio rigs when i can. ive already bought a sacd player for home use, but i must confess i do a lot of traveling, so its nice to start updating my protable rigs. currently i have a couple of inexpensive md player/recorders sony mz s1, and a sharp md-mt-180. Im not into recording live, so they work just fine. I do have a airhead amp, and thats about it. Next i think i will get a sony pcdp from silicone salvage, since they are close to me in orange county. Normally i usually live in and out of hotels, or on planes, so for now, portables get the nod. This forum has been a source of inspiration to me. Im glad ive found it. To me, sharing thoughts and i deas is what its all about. Everybody should take pride here, its a great forum. Thanks all once again

Aug 22, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 19
Cresendopower, if that didn't send him running, nothing will !

No, he's going with the flow, going with the flow...

orl2222, I am really, really sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 19
I would just like to add that Head-Fi has also done wonders to my wallet.

It all started with seeing the HD-535s for $59 at J&R. Then I made a booboo, and had them connected to my big amp and was cranking out the tunes while not having the Headphone port off. So I fried the right side. (oops)

So I returned them, and upgraded to the HD580s. That's when I discovered that the output on my receiver was kinda flat sounding, and I also would like to make these portable.

After a few readings and a visit to Headroom, I decided to try the Supreme (30-day guarantee for a first-amp buyer is always nice), and I picked up a PCDP. (A discontinued RS model with a very nice Line Out and good shock protection)

So lessee... $169, $449, $64... = $682 plus shipping. Thx Head-Fi! (bastards!)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back