I think my Iriver 590t has ruined two pairs of earphones
Dec 1, 2004 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mcbiff

100+ Head-Fier
I've had this player since early summer and used it quite a bit. Then a while ago the Shure E2s I had bought started cutting out on the right channel when the cable was moved around/twisted, I thought I just had bad luck with the Shures and switched over to my Etymotic ER4Ps instead. Then today, after using them with the player for two weeks or so, the left channel on the Etymotics starts cutting out if the cable is moved ever so slightly. This leads me to think that the player is broken. But unfortunately when I tried the Etys from another source they still cut out on the left channel, so it appears they're broken now. Same with the Shures. As you can imagine, I am not happy at all.

Is this even possible? Given that I never ever listen loudly at all, a blown driver is not likely, much less two broken drivers in such short time. Does anyone know what might have happened?

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 8
The Shure one is a problem with quality control (acknowledged by Shure although not entirely fixed yet). I just RMA'd the 2nd pair of E2 with a faulty cord. Ety one is probably just bad luck.

Dec 1, 2004 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Possibly something's broken inside the 590t and is producing DC offset voltage too high for the drivers to handle. Just a thought.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 8
That does sound like a reasonable explanation. How often does such a thing happen though? The drivers can't be totally broken either, 'cause if I find just the right position for the cord and hold it absolutely still they sound as usual (both pairs).

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Well, that is strange.

If the phones would've worked fine on other players, but not on the iRiver, I'd say you have a loose contact on the L+ connector inside the iRiver's 3.5mm jack.

But since the phones cut out on other sources as well... oi. And I can't understand why they'd start working again if you held the cord in a specific way.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 8
The part about holding them just right is strange, if I spin the cord between my fingers back and forth the sound will cut out and then come back as the cable spins. It's as if there's some loose connection, but there really can't be one seeing as the cables are never pulled or handled without caution. I'm really at a loss here.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 8
It's the phones I tell you! That is such clear symptom of a faulty cord. Even with perfect handling, a badly manufactured cord will break down. I had used my first pair of Shures for 30 minutes before it break
biggrin.gif
Second pair managed to survive a week of light use
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back