I think I'll stop now
Jun 27, 2002 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

CaptBubba

Not dumb enough fora custom title...so he thought.
I've spent a while now just thinking, and have decided to stop this audio thing. I am happy with where I am right now, and I plan to buy a cheap dvd player and be done with everything. I figured out that I can better spend my money on other things, I don't know what other things those are, but doubtless I'll find them.

I figure that since I'm happy with what I have, I don't see why I should spend any more trying to make it better. I'd rather learn new hobbies and such.

Also I have decided to change my way of life. I've decided I hate sitting around all day doing nothing, and I must admit that headphones have contributed to that. I'm going to try and break the 200lb barrier (currently 213), and see where I want to go from there.

I think I'll hang around still though, but I don't think I'll post as much.

Jun 27, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 22
Sounds like a good decision. When things start to stagnate, it's time to move on. Anyway, it sounds like your life's the richer for the time you spent (and will continue to spend) in the audio world.

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 22
Well, good luck. I thought I was done too. After selling my enourmous mass of headphone stuff last summer (and not visiting head-fi since then), I'm back, and buying stuff again. I certainly couldn't stay away! But I wish you the best of luck at it.

Jun 27, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 22
Some people get heavily into things, then burn out. I am one of those people. You could be too. Us smart people do that.

Since I don't work, I have to keep busy.

I use

1) MUSIC.
2) TV (not movies). (TIVO has made decent tv viewing a reality for me now)
3)Audio books (www.audible.com)
4)Pet birds
5)Eating and sleeping.
6)Photography
7)Computer gaming
8)internet

I rotate. I don't throw everything away when I get tired of something, because I go back to it. Don't get rid of everything. You may regret the decision later.

Jun 27, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

I plan to buy a cheap dvd player and be done with everything

If that's the case, I would get the Sony NS500V
It plays CDs, DVDs, and SACDs.
Also if you buy one you get 5 free DVDs (offer ends September 30th) They are Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, The 6th Day, Fools rush in, Random Hearts, and Vertical Limit.

All this for $199

Damn, I would make a killer salesman
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 22
If you have little need for SACD the pioneer DV444 plays cdr's cdrw's and mp3 cd's. It also has progressive scan output if you ever get a slick ass hi-definition TV. It has that, s-video, and comp out on the video side, and it has RCA, digital coax, and optical outs on the audio side.

I paid $199 for mine and it has operated flawlessly since I got it. You really should be carefull with the cheaper players, they often have some problems. My roomate had an Apex, and the face plate on the tray fell off, not to mention the variety of operational problems it had.

Anyhow I am in the same boat you are really, my system blows away anything else I can hear around here. By making it better I don't really know what I am doing, spoiling myself to death is probably a good way of looking at it.

Also I started hitting the gym really hard a few months ago, and let me tell you it has definately paid off. (With the women folk, it's sad but they like muscle and I must conform to their will) 200 is my current goal, I got down to 209 from 222, but I am back up to 213 after I hurt my knee and had to cut down on the running. But since I have gained some muscle mass also, I think I have actually still burned some fat. I tell you what though, if you can, get on the treadmill and run 2-3 miles at about 5 to 7 miles per hour, just be really careful about your knees and back, if thats all good you should lose weight pretty quick. I would eat a bowl of rice and have 2 or 3 glasses of water about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes in advance of going to the gym. I never ate those power bars. Man, I was tired all the time when I first started going, but once you get your heart good and strong everything you do will be much easier.

OH another thing I do to protect my knees is I get on this big nordic track looking thing. Its basically a cross between a cycle and a nordic track, its like someone put skis on bike pedals. Anyhow, it has a running motion but pretty much 0 impact, I find 'running' for 10 minutes on that machine is a good way to get warmed up before I get on the treadmill in addition to proper stretching. An alternative might be those climbing machines.

Once you get in a groove after maybe 3 weeks, running 2 or 3 times a week, you should get to the point where you want to run and you feel better when you run. Thats the whole endorphin rush thing.

Most thinking also says that moderate exercise for long periods of time is better than extreme exercise for short periods of time.

Good luck!

Jun 27, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron

With the women folk, it's sad but they like muscle and I must conform to their will

Maybe you hang with the wrong ladies.

My missus hates muscly guys, she thinks they look silly.

She liked me best when I was very skinny....now she thinks I need to lose some fat, but she definitely doesn't want me gaining muscle.

Jun 27, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 22
Muscle, money, smarts, height, confidence, aggressiveness... whatever. All different flavors of the same thing.

If you appear to be someone who a woman can trust her life with, someone who can defeat or outsmart the bad guys for her, you're in. Too simple? What else could explain the proliferation of so many cute, intelligent, nice girls who date macho ********?

The "feeling safe" thing is the Main Thing. They need to feel safe in deferring to you. I'm all for independent women, but deep down I believe most women crave the feeling of security above all else.

Women, on the other hand, have fewer options: Be beautiful or DIE!

Wow, 1000 posts!
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 22
I don't think "security" is what women want. At least, that's not what I've found in my enormous* experience.

I think they're more concerned with someone who understands them, is genuinely interested in them, and can share "feelings" on a deeper level than most with them. I think the way emotions are felt and expressed is the major difference between men and women, and that's what women prize above all else.

The idea that women "need" or want a man to look after them has more, IMO, to do with the way men perceive womens' feelings and actions.

They want emotional security, not protection. Men don't understand that. That's why women like Steel Magnolias, and men like Die Hard.

*very small

Jun 27, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

I think they're more concerned with someone who understands them, is genuinely interested in them, and can share "feelings" on a deeper level than most with them. I think the way emotions are felt and expressed is the major difference between men and women, and that's what women prize above all else.

Not in my experience.

Being a highly emotionally available male... touchy-feely, interested in interior design, and weepy at chick flicks will certainly make you terrific "friend material"... but that's about it.

I've learned this the hard way. I can't tell you how many times in my early 20's that I sat up all night listening to different sob stories about bad boyfriends, watching "empowering" women's films together, and then being turned down for a date as she returned to the same old Mr. Psycho ******* in the morning.

Unfair, but that's the way it is. Girl X genuinely didn't like Mr. Psycho *******'s selfish, rude, insensitive, irresponsible tendencies. However, he had a good sense of humor mixed in with a stature of physical aggressiveness, which, unfortunately and unfairly, translates on a deep ancient genetic level to "good defender of the nest" and thus... "secure". Check please.

Women don't want men to be brooding ********. They really DO want us to be emotionally available, sensitive, and caring. However, without providing a feeling of security in whatever form you can, you're going to get passed over as "friend material" every single time.

Count on it.

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #13 of 22
Women like biceps. It's a sad fact, I lived 20 years with the biceps that a life leading to a profession in computer art gives you. 4 months of hard work and I have some biceps to speak of. I think I may just be more confident, feeling better all around due to physical conditioning. Something, whatever it is my luck with the ladies has quadrupled. I thank/blame the gym.

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:31 AM Post #14 of 22
Really?

EVERY time?

I don't know, maybe I exude an aura of "strength" (I am 6'2" and weigh 210 or so lbs), but I've never been MISTAR PROTECTAR, and the women I've been with would resent it like hell if I tried to be.

I understand if that's what it took for you to get lucky with teh ladies, but I think it's a mistake to see it as what all women want.

When I first got together with my current girlfriend, I was a lonely, panic-ridden depressive wreck. SHE did more protecting than I did.

I'm a much stronger person now, but any attempts of mine to Hulk out with her around, be it physically or emotionally, and I would be laughed out the door. We've been together for 5 yers now.

Seriously, not all women are like that. It's a damn shame that's all you've seen...men don't need that kind of pressure on them. What they need are friends who they can get along with, stay excited about, and have the occasional bout of HOTT HOTT SEXOR with.

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #15 of 22
Damn Nick, thats why I don't befriend women in general. #1 Most of them produce conversation that makes me want to shoot myself. #2 Most of them will figure out ways to take advantage of your niceness. #3 Going to express then eating a low fat salad from chic fil a is not my idea of fun. #4 "Does this make me look fat" is a question you should ask in the candy Isle at Wally World not in the dressing room. #5 It scares me when I'm riding in a car and the driver recieves a phone call while she is trying to apply lipstick in the rear view mirror. #6 They never want to hook me up with their hot friend. #7 No, I am not here to entertain you, support you, carry **** for you, do your homework, or be the measure by which you determine your boyfriend is the greatest guy in the world. Thanks but uh, I like my women FTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back