I think I want a turntable.
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
What's a good, cheap one? Also, it must either be compatible with a 3.5mm headphone jack or a 6.3mm headphone jack, as I will be using it with JVC HA-RX700's. I might get speakers later on, but for now, those cans are the best I've got.

Right now all I have are some old scratched up Beatles albums that belong to my parents. I'll be getting more records after I get the turntable, though. Thank God for Salvation Army!
smily_headphones1.gif

I was thinking of something sort of like this because I want something with a cover so it doesn't get destroyed easily.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 14
I've never seen a turntable with a headphone jack before. You'll also need a preamp between the turntable and whatever you plan on hooking it up to. You may be able to find a pre-amp with a headphone jack on it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thats a pretty budget model you're looking at. If a cheap intro is all you're looking for, then I guess that'll do. If you want a better sounding machine, but don't want to break the bank, I recommend a Project Debut III.

You can get cheap phono preamps off ebay for under $20 too. Again, you get what you pay for.

I think a crapty phono setup is better that none at all. So, dive in and start exploring vinyl.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 14
I wish the good turntable my parents used to have hadn't died. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford this, lol.

Oh well, it's something to think about in ten years or so.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Go for the audio technica. When I say cheap used receiver I mean $20 - $50 at the Sally Ann or a garage sale. Maybe even less. Sheck ebay, I bet you could get one for 5 bucks, as long as you're willing to pay $30 to have it shipped.

Don't give up on vinyl.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 14
Since you sound like price is the most important factor, try this one...

Audio Technica Fully-Automatic Stereo Turntable AT-PL50 - REFURBISHED in Turntables at JR.com

$39 bucks for a factory refurbished AT-PL50. It has a built-in phono pre-amp so you can hook it up to any headphone amplifier or little receiver (or use some Radio Shack cables and connect it to some powered speakers).

It probably won't rock your world as far as amazing sound quality, but it certainly gets you in the door and won't damage your collection.

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish the good turntable my parents used to have hadn't died. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford this, lol.

Is the turntable still around, or did they get rid of it? If it's still in the attic or garage, get it out and fix it. Most can be made to run again.

If you don't have it still around, go to the Goodwill and other thrift stores. You can find turntables cheap there. Be sure to talk to the manager and let him or her know you're looking for a turntable. They will usually take your number and call you when one comes in. It would be nice to volunteer a few hours if they help you out, too.

Once you get a turntable, you will need a phono stage. Records have an equalization curve built into them to make the grooves the right size. You can't just use an ordinary preamp, you have to use one made for records that puts the right equalization on the output.

The least expensive way to get a phono preamp is to buy a used two channel receiver that has one built in. Again, you can find a great receiver at a thrift store.

Keep an eye out for records and vintage speakers, too. You can refoam a lot of speakers inexpensively and get good performance from old speakers.

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #9 of 14
Take a look at my sig for the link to a thread started by memepool on vintage budget turntables. I bought a used Pioneer PL-12D turntable in excellent condition from craigslist for $45.

As already mentioned, getting a receiver with an integrated phono stage is a great way to go if you want to add speakers later. Go vintage all the way and get a vintage receiver like the Sansui that was already recommended.

Nov 7, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 14
As someone who owns the AT-PL50, save up and get something better.

The SQ is decent, but the surface noise can be unpleasant even on brand new records. There is also a bad Hum that comes from the onboard RIAA.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's a good, cheap one?

I was thinking of something sort of like this because I want something with a cover so it doesn't get destroyed easily.

The turntable in your link is neither good, nor cheap. More than once, I have found better and cheaper tables at estate sales, garage sales, etc. Some need work, BUT some have worked perfectly. Look around, you don't have to wait ten years.

Laz

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, definitely try Ebay. I got a Technics SL-D21 for about £3, and it's in incredible condition and sounds great to me. My old Ion usb turntable had a headphone jack on it, but wouldn't recommend it for sq tbh....

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 14
at a low budget, used equipment is the way to go. i found a thorens td160 (with a nagoaka mp11) for £45 and a armstrong receiver for another £40. amazing bang for buck.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 14
Um, you will have to do a lot more than just plug it in.

Its the bearing, Stu___.

Remove the platter and check the bearing. If you can, replace it. Next, comes the belt - very difficult to replace if your turntable manufacturer has gone out of business. See Turntable Belts, Turntable Belt, Starting at $3.50 they should have the belt.

Clean the main spindle that connects the bearing with alcohol or some other non detergent cleaning solvent. Clean the motor flywhel with alcohol as well.

Next, using some good sewing machine oil, apply to bearing, spindle and flywheel

I know I have left a lot out of here (turntable antique road show enthusiasts, please chime in), but this should get you started.

I have not even touched tonearm restoration, a novella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back