I think I started to understand you guys' feeling a little better now
Apr 24, 2017 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
When I had family gathering last week, I drank the Chardonnay white wine I bought I found it's terrible to my taste (I like Chardonnay but that one was too bad to bear). At that moment, I recalled the situation when I had a dinner with my friend and he left drink the red wine he ordered after taking the first sip. At that time, I wasn't quite a drinker as I am today so I was curious if it was that bad because wine all tasted similar to me without significant changes.

Looking back, I wasn't able to notice the difference in sound quality between different TVs, let alone audio cables. If some golden ears experts came to me saying this sounds terrible, I wouldn't think of him highly either and will treat his claims about using highend stuff as bragging from being ignorant.

Maybe all the wines I tasted placed some placebo effect with expectations biases on me, same goes for audiophiles too? I wonder if there's notion about food similar to wine like you can't actually tell apart between beef from different places. Maybe luxury food are all placebo as well because there should be inedible and indeliciousible too.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 8
Me and a friend are big bourbon enthusiasts.  We like cask strength stuff, the older the better...think Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition, Smooth Ambler 60%, etc.  

During the NCAA tournament, my friend set up a blind tasting test "tournament" where he would try different bourbons head to head, eliminate one, and move on until he found the champion.  There some GOOD bourbons in there, even some Pappy.

The winner?  A $18 bottle of Heaven Hill 6 year.  

Yes, placebo plays a much larger role than any of us would like to admit - with many things in life.

Apr 25, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Ever heard of $2 Chuck wine?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1963794

Beat 2300 wines to win a double gold medal. 

http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/08/the_most_infamous_study_on_wine_tasting.html 

Read this about wine tasting.

Now if you want to gather some traction here on this forum, stop with the testimonials and the suppositions and the innuendo that someone knows that your imagined explanation of EMI from computer activity effects sound output of good DACs.   Get some measurements of it happening or explain what the effects would be if measured so someone could measure them or get some unsighted listening results.  All the rest of your approach is like the remainder of head-fi that regulars on this sub-forum don't believe or buy into.  If you don't agree okay, but you keep posting here trying to get some recognition or something.  I fail to see what it is you hope to achieve.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 8
I haven't failed in any blinded auditioning. Because I have very good ears? No. Because I don't give a dang to biases and placebo effects.

I hope none of you guys will ever waste money on luxury food on dinner when it can be as delicious as ten times cheaper dish unless you're golden tongue. :wink:

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 8
  I haven't failed in any blinded auditioning. Because I have very good ears? No. Because I don't give a dang to biases and placebo effects.

I hope none of you guys will ever waste money on luxury food on dinner when it can be as delicious as ten times cheaper dish unless you're golden tongue. :wink:

If you mean you aren't effected by bias and placebo then you are incorrect as long as you are a human. 

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 8

If you mean you aren't effected by bias and placebo then you are incorrect as long as you are a human. 

I still haven't failed in any blinded auditioning test. I have no biases and placebo in audio hobby not that I'll have no bias or placebo at all.

By the way, did you ever eat luxury food? People made fun of wine but why they never make fun of luxury food? I'm sure my neighbor's Dim Sum at $1 will be more  delicious than Dim Sum in UK Hotel at $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back