I think I just wrecked my JDS cMoyBB; Advice needed
Dec 12, 2009 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

bkchurch

Head-Fier
Here's the deal: My cans haven't seen any use for about 6 months because I've been living alone and have had free will to crank the speakers. Tonight cause came up to bust them out of storage (sidenote: My god I forgot how awesome my Ultrasone's sound) and with them my JDS Labs cMoyBB 2.0.

Now as I was setting it up as the bridge between my TV's composite audio out to my headphones I wasn't really paying attention and did something very stupid. I took shoved the power chord, that was plugged into the wall outlet, into the headphone output. I immediately realized what I'd done and knew I'd screwed up since the blue LED started flickering when I did it. Anyway when I finally got the whole deal set up I started getting a clicking noise in my headphones when there was no audio signal coming to them. Then when there was an audio signal coming to them the audio got distorted and the clicking got louder.

Here's the amp if you're not familiar with it.

So I'm pretty sure I completely boned my poor headphone amp. What I need to know is: What exactly did I break? Did I short out the whole thing or just a couple components? Can I fix it? How hard would fixing it be? And would I just be better off buying a new one? If the answer is "Buy a new one" then I ask, what's the best thing going in small (like cMoy in an Altoids can small) headphone amps that are relatively affordable (like $50-$60 affordable)?

EDIT: Totally just realized this is the wrong forum. Sorry bout that. It's late, I'm tired, and I just killed my amp.

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 3
There's not that many thing that can go wrong with a cMoy. I would suggest try looking inside to see if there's any signs of damage. I guess if it was for just a few second than chances are the OPAmp is the cause of the problem. It can be easily replaced with no soldering as it sits in a socket.

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 3
It's probably just a blown opamp, but the virtual ground chip (TLE2426) could also be damaged.

Send it in for repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back