I Think I Got a Fake Super.fi 3
Jun 23, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Yoloni

100+ Head-Fier
I got these headphones on eBay $48. I just got the earphones today, and I think they sound great with the dual flange eartips. But, I noticed that the silver inside the plastic said
UE 5Pro. Also, the package has two empty slots on the left side. Also, the earphone cleaner didn't have a UE logo, and it didn't come with a 1/4" adapter like the website says. The package was in plastic instead of in a box. I really need help.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 23
Well considering you paid $48 and not $100, I think it's still a good deal.
And if they really are UE 5pro(I doubt it) then you really got a good deal.

Pictures would be nice.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 23
I know these aren't because the cord isn't clear, it's black. It's just weired because the outside paper says Super.fi 3, but the inside plastic says 5Pro. Also there's these two slots missing.

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 23
I don't know what would be in the missing slots...maybe the right UE cleaner and the 1/4" adapter?

I would obviously email the guy, and leave feedback.
Pictures of this would also be nice.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 23
I don't think my Triple Fi wax cleaner had any logo on IIRC...some do then?

But the lack of box sounds dodgy, assuming 3's come in a box as stock (I've never looked at the 3 page @ UE)

As Warhawk said -pix! If possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit -wow, that's some bad spelling & grammer on that Ebay listing. Ouch.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 23
I mean it does, but it's that plastic seal thing where you have to cut around it. It's not the box that I saw in a store. I think the box is fine because it looks the same as some online reviews, but the plastic frame inside it is the Super.fi 5 Pro's, not the Super.fi 3's. It also didn't come with the 1/4" adapter. I sent the guy a message, so he'll probably reply later. I wish I could take a picture, but I don't have a camera. I'll ask my mom for one later.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think my Triple Fi wax cleaner had any logo on IIRC...some do then?

But the lack of box sounds dodgy, assuming 3's come in a box as stock (I've never looked at the 3 page @ UE)

As Warhawk said -pix! If possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit -wow, that's some bad spelling & grammer on that Ebay listing. Ouch.

Yeah, I thought about that, but he's selling a lot of them, so I thought it wouldn't matter.

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 23
I know this sounds odd, but what do they smell like?

UE cable has a very strong plasticky smell that lasts for quite awhile.

All the bits look legit in your pic, but that box is weird.

Funky jack cover!

Jun 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 23
It doesn't smell like anything really. May be the guy opened the package to see if it worked, and he accidently put them in the 5Pro plastic instead of the 3's. Then, he sealed the four corners with glue because it wasn't sealed with some kind of heat.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 23
Glue?!

Sounds very strange...no round clear seals then, like you get on UE boxes.

But...you're enjoying the sound? Maybe these are reboxed (non-UE) but real. Or maybe not.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 23
Those are real super.fi 3s or the best fake of anything I've ever seen, right down to the bitchy piece of paper telling you to register them. The only thing odd is the tray that has the 5 pro, but I'm going to wager that UE either made a mistake or maybe they really do use them for double duty.

Those are the exact same accessories both my super.fi 5s and triple.fi 10s came with and the cable, down to the cover steve commented on, is identical to the one that came with my triple.fi 10s.

EDIT: The cable I just got with TF10s didn't have the same smell that the one that came with SF5s last year had, it's also a lot more flexible. I think they changed cable construction yet again.

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 23
Probably refurbs, or open-box return. My ER-4P were an open-box return resold through Amazon Warehouse Deals, and they were missing parts (missing a pair of grey foams and a pair of triflanges, and one pair of filters).

Jun 23, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 23
I agree with what everyone has said so far. UESF5's have a strong plastic smell and the tray that it comes with is different from the one that you have. Everything else looks fine so I think it's different packaging, and possibly a mistake on the tray. It would be best to get an opinion of someone who has UESF3's as I've seen only the UESF5's packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back