I think I found a way to prevent Shure cable cracking!
Dec 10, 2007 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TheVoxHumanus

New Head-Fier
For a while, I'd been looking for either a paint-on or spray-on rubber-like material to coat the wires and prevent the cables from cracking.

I had been thinking about this for some time and asking as many people as I could if such a thing existed -- everyone told me no.

Well, I found something I am pretty sure (time will tell) will totally eliminate the cable cracking problem. It's something called "Liquid Tape", and it's exactly as its name sounds. It's liquid electrical tape.

I can't tell you all how happy I am to have finally found exactly what I was looking for!

I masked off the buds and the connecter with some tape and sprayed on the rubbery stuff on the wires...it dries in about 20 mins. The cables totally retain their flexibility, and you can peel it off (it takes a bit of work) if you don't want it there anymore.

Just wanted to share a little find with my friends here!

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 17
I hope the label says "resists heat and all contaminants, retains flexibility after wide temp change" 'cuz otherwise ur looking at "old-skin" after a while.

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 17
Is this problem relegated to Shure headphones only?

I have E2C's and after 9 months Shure replaced them because of it which is fine but I don't want to go through headphones every 9 months!

Dec 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 17
"Heavy-bodied black insulating coating which replaces insulating tape in applications where wrap-around tape could not readily be applied. This compound dries quickly to a strong pliable finish that will not crack, peel or chip. It is water and oil proof and may be used outdoors to insulate any electrical terminal, connection or wire splice. Excellent for providing insulation on handles, etc. Voltage rating 400v/mil (min.)"

This looks like the brush on version.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pickwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is cable crackling? I noticed my k701s sometimes crackle and i think it is mostly when i am moving the cable. Is this the same thing?

This is referring to the rubber insulation around the wiring cracking and stripping.

Dec 11, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 17
Some of the wires the shure used for headphones deteriorated with long term contact with some people's skin oils...at least thats the common thought.

Shure doesn't hesitate at all to replace your phones if you have this problem meet the warranty requirements.

I've had e4s and e2s and neither of mine suffered this malady. A friend of mine had his first pair of e2 wires crack and split. He was very happy with shure's customer service in getting his problem solved.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVoxHumanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a while, I'd been looking for either a paint-on or spray-on rubber-like material to coat the wires and prevent the cables from cracking.

I had been thinking about this for some time and asking as many people as I could if such a thing existed -- everyone told me no.

Well, I found something I am pretty sure (time will tell) will totally eliminate the cable cracking problem. It's something called "Liquid Tape", and it's exactly as its name sounds. It's liquid electrical tape.

I can't tell you all how happy I am to have finally found exactly what I was looking for!

I masked off the buds and the connecter with some tape and sprayed on the rubbery stuff on the wires...it dries in about 20 mins. The cables totally retain their flexibility, and you can peel it off (it takes a bit of work) if you don't want it there anymore.

Just wanted to share a little find with my friends here!

Thank you for sharing that....sorry to bring up and old thread...but you said time will tell if this has worked.....so has it worked for you? Thanks

I also wanted to ask all those who use the warranty, did they require a receipt? I cannot find mine for the life of me

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #13 of 17
I have tried Liquid electrical tape and it didn't work with my E2Cs. It was quite stiff and even the LET cracked after awhile of use.

Maybe a better idea is tube of memory plastic. Cut the cables near the Y, add the tubes, and solder. If you do a good enough job with the solder it shouldn't look too bad. Look at the cables from Livewires to get an idea of what I mean.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by deviationer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at the cables from Livewires to get an idea of what I mean.

Or Ultimate Ears.
wink.gif

May 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 17
The cover on my memory wire cracked, making moisture run up the earpiece of my e5c's while i was working out. I wrapped my wire with teflon tape, seems to hold up ok for now. Will look for a better solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back