I think I am going to buy a pair of Grado earphones
Aug 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

eskil

New Head-Fier
However, I do not want to use an external big dac and amplifier. I can use a dragonfly black or red. Is that sufficient? I see that the OHM on Grado should be easy to run? I am considering RS2E. What do you think? I was first considering RS1E and GS1000, but I have read that they are a bit too much treble on, and that people generally are more happy with RS2E

Aug 15, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 25
considering the "power needs" you will be fine. If it is sufficient considering sound quality depends on you (tried the dragonfly's and heard no difference to my phone's headphone jack). Might wanna consider mojo or IDSD ...

my usual advise on top: never buy an expensive headphone without testing it - doing so is a perfect receipe for disappointment and regret.
This is even more true for grados, which have a very love-or-hate-sound character and are utterly uncomfortable (imo) compared to pretty much any other headphone on the market...

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 25
considering the "power needs" you will be fine. If it is sufficient considering sound quality depends on you (tried the dragonfly's and heard no difference to my phone's headphone jack). Might wanna consider mojo or IDSD ...

my usual advise on top: never buy an expensive headphone without testing it - doing so is a perfect receipe for disappointment and regret.
This is even more true for grados, which have a very love-or-hate-sound character and are utterly uncomfortable compared to pretty much any other headphone on the market...

Are they seriously that uncomfortable? All of them?

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 25
Are they seriously that uncomfortable? All of them?

Imo the "most comfortable" grados are those with the softer foam pads found on the cheaper models - these are okay comfortwise. The harder foam pads on the higher end models though feel kind of like sand paper and positioning them on your head feels like a challange ... all my personal opinion of course.
As said: go try them and some other models and see/feel for yourself :)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 25
You can try "pad-rolling" to change both comfort as well as sound too.
I will agree with above comment though...I dislike any on-ear headphone as it pins my ears to my skull,which sucks.
I have absolutely no problem with heavy headphones 550-700 grams,but on-ear HPs I cannot handle.

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 25
You can try "pad-rolling" to change both comfort as well as sound too.
I will agree with above comment though...I dislike any on-ear headphone as it pins my ears to my skull,which sucks.
I have absolutely no problem with heavy headphones 550-700 grams,but on-ear HPs I cannot handle.

Totally agree on that. A 650g-heavy (brick-like) LCD-XC is more comfortable than any on-ear I tried (grados included).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 25
At the end of the day very few headphones have the Grado sound signature.If you find them to your liking there are very few other brands out there that do what Grado does.I like the Grado sound for guitar driven music,mostly blues and classic rock.For metal I think they do an okay job but Ive heard better. Ultimately its the lack of comfort that steered me away from the brand.

The vintage AKG K240 sextett does what Grados do,and it does it better,and without the on-ear nonsense,however it absolutely needs a strong amp.but if youre wanting an aggressive forward guitar presentation without painful high peaks and stunningly good imaging the sextett tops anything else Ive heard.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 25
Are they seriously that uncomfortable, strange. Even if you change the foam pad to a another brand? What headphones would you get if your were to drive them through a dragonfly? Is it stupid to be lookling like "middle" end headphones like RS2E? I would be willing to for over ear Grados as well, if any of the alternatives are good enough. I have heard GS1000 isn't good enough.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 25
Are they seriously that uncomfortable, strange. Even if you change the foam pad to a another brand? What headphones would you get if your were to drive them through a dragonfly? Is it stupid to be lookling like "middle" end headphones like RS2E? I would be willing to for over ear Grados as well, if any of the alternatives are good enough. I have heard GS1000 isn't good enough.

The only way to find out is order yourself a pair of the 60 or 80e for under 100.00 usd via Amazon,who have a liberal return policy...try them for yourself and see if the comfort or lack thereof is something you can live with. All Grados essentially feel the same way when worn.

I have tried bowls,which kinda goes around the ear as opposed to on it(I have small ears FWIW) and it didnt really help too much with the comfort,but it did drastically change the sound....for better or worse is subjective.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 25
I did not find the GS 1000 with G Cush pads to be uncomfortable at all and I don't like on ears either but I don't mind things touching my ears. I heard the RS2E several weeks ago and really liked them but would definitely need a pad change though. I think it is the way they are made that makes them so rough maybe take some sandpaper to them to break the hardness up a bit.

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 25
I did not find the GS 1000 with G Cush pads to be uncomfortable at all and I don't like on ears either but I don't mind things touching my ears. I heard the RS2E several weeks ago and really liked them but would definitely need a pad change though. I think it is the way they are made that makes them so rough maybe take some sandpaper to them to break the hardness up a bit.

Which would you change to? Does it exist something with colors?

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 25
Don't understand something with colors?

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #14 of 25
If you want Beats or Skullcandy they come in many colors.

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 25
If you want Beats or Skullcandy they come in many colors.

LOL

I havent seen Grados pads in colors other than black...they might exist,but havent felt the need to look for them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back