I think I am going crazy
May 2, 2006 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hekoman

100+ Head-Fier
I think I am going crazy. About 3 weeks ago I sold my UM-1's because I was so un-impressed with them. They just did not sound like a $100 pair of cans should sound. Maybe it is my ears, maybe I just cold not get a good seal, but that is all in the past. About a week ago I got a pair of PortaPro's in. Let me just say that I absolutely love them. I really think they blow my old KSC-75's away. They are so engaging, so fun to listen to. I always just felt that my KSC's were a little bright and distant for my tastes.

So let me get to the point. I have also owned a pair of MS-2i's since Christmas, and then a pair of MS-1's for 6 months before that. When I got my MS-1's I was blown away by the sound, they had loads of bass, great detail, and they were fun to listen to. So I then decided to move up to the MS-2's, but I was largely un-impressed by the jump. I mean they were better headphones, there was more detail, better bass, but not $200 worth. I then decided to get a pair of C-pads (Z-flats to be specific). I was hoping that they would somehow bring more life to my MS-2i's, but besides the extra comfort (and let me tell you the are comfortable as any of set of cans I have tried) there really isn't any more there. And now that I have my PortaPros, I have found that I have been reaching for the PortaPros a heck of a lot more than my C-padded MS-2i's. I have even been thinking about selling my MS-2i's and just sticking with the PortaPros.

Now to be honest I really have not spent much on amplification for any of my cans. They only thing I have is a Cmoy that I bought of ebay. The only sources I use are my H120, a 3G iPod, and a M-Audio Revo 7.1 on my computer. Do you think I should upgrade my amp, or any of my sources to get better sound out of my MS-2i's or do you think I should just sell them and call it quits in this hobby and be happy with my PortaPros, Or do you think that getting a better amp/sources would even help my MS-2i's at all. Thanks for any help you can give me.

May 2, 2006 at 10:09 AM Post #2 of 7
mate, to be honest i would sell the ms2i and stay happy with the portapros, especially if you feel the jump from ms1 to ms2 was not worth 200 buckaroos, then it would follow that the increase in quality brought from an amp will probably not blow you away either. take the pp's, and leave forever.

if you feel like you want to donate the ms2i to a good cause, i know a girl who is a music fanatic who knows nothing of good headphones (ex71 user), and likes the look of grado's... shoot me a pm.
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Phooie!

So here I sit, listening to my MS-1s and luvin' it, and thinking about getting MS2i........

.........and

Phooie.
blink.gif

-------------------------

Thinking about it a moment; I suppose I would consider getting rid of the MS-2s but keeping the MS-1s as a complement to the PortaPros.

I don't know enough about different amps to comment at this point.

And then,.....ouch.....returning to the forum to help scratch the inevitable upgraditis itch.
frown.gif

.........shucks,......I don't know WHAT I'd do......probably think about it a while before I did something I'd regret.

I guess.

May 2, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Phooie!

So here I sit, listening to my MS-1s and luvin' it, and thinking about getting MS2i........

.........and

Phooie.
blink.gif

-------------------------

I know of a couple of people that actually prefer the ms1's to the ms2i's, because they don't like the added brightness of the ms2...

myself... I'm thinking if I don't get into my k1000/charlize combo more in the next few weeks I'll sell them and get some ms-pro's.. I just want ms1's... but better
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 7
It sounds to me like he has the reverse of the itch. Here's a guy who can resist upgraditis and realistically look at sound improvement.

Dude, if you're happy with the portapros just stick with them. There's no need to spend more money if you can't justify the improvement to yourself.

m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back