I think apple just killed the ipod classic, ugh
Sep 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

attilahun

100+ Head-Fier
The ipod classic was there this morning but has now vanished from the website and the refurb area of the store after the keynote.
Sadly they didn't release a larger iPod touch with 128 storage.
I'm bummed.

Edit: and now the store is down again....hmm

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 78
Which is the only reason I have so far stayed with the Classic, though I do have my eye on the DX90.
Many of the audiophile DAPs have hundreds of GB more space, and better sound to boot...but they're much more expensive.

Yep, that's exactly it.
The dollars per gigabyte ratio was attractive on the classic but we'll have to look elsewhere going forward.
With all the hi-res talk with pono, sony, etc, I was hoping that apple would jump on board, upgrade itunes and play ball.
But I guess their average customer couldn't care less.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 78
It was exactly like I'd predicted years ago -- once an 128GB option comes to the iphone, the classic will be out.

I give Apple kudos for recognizing the classic can do pretty good business and almost monopolize its product category, instead of discontinuing it 3-4 years ago to cut SKU which would've been typical smartass silicon valley thinking.

The classic has bridged a period where we had virtually no feasible high-capacity option. Today if you just want space you can put a 128GB card (effective what, 110GB?) into a smartphone. Or if you want quality you can stick two cards into an AK and conceivably do one better than the classic.

What the average consumer does not want is to construct their own music library and tag meticulously. I tried it for 5-6 years on my library (and they must be tagged by me because many albums are so rare itunes cannot pull an auto-match) and in the end just gave up. I admire people like RuPaul who by sheer force of will has managed to organize a library to its maximum potential, but I just listen to radio these days. Regular radio, not pandora/rdio/spotify.

Apple is late to every party spec-wise so I would expect hi-res is already in development with them but won't show up in products for a while. If you look at what Sony's done so far to push hi-res you can almost see why Apple would not want to do it from their typical school of thought.

Also it's easier for sony and neil young to do all the hard work, introduce new stuff to people, prime the market, and then jump in once your customers are all ready. You can almost see Apple having chosen this path for their Watch.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 78
I'm surprised the Classic isn't in Apple's refurb store.  They must be sitting on them for a bit, then they'll let them go at a future time...

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 78
RIP in peaches.  The only Apple device I've ever owned.  I plan on keeping it that way too.  
cool.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 78

http://pitchfork.com/news/56629-apple-discontinues-ipod-classic/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back