I sell my MG Head, gone for a few months, and now, everyone has an amp called meta?
Nov 7, 2002 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

merc

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, yes I did search. I saw zillions of pics and layouts of meta42s. But not one of those dozen most recent posts said anything about where to buy one of these for my Senn HD600s? It seems that there are different component/parts lists for different headphones. Which one is the best for the HD600s?

HELP! Are these amps better sounding than the MG Head for the HD600s?

If this is way too boring and passe' to reply to directly by now, please email me (govtdog@msn.com) with your info if you sell these amps.

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 12
These amps are pretty good sounding. They have a different sound than the MG Head, not quite as lush in the midrange, though the AD opamps are pretty smooth, much like the MG Head's transformer output. (However, I think the MG Head walks all over a Meta that uses Burr-Brown opamps, even the most expensive ones, but then others might feel differently -- I've always liked the tube sound and dislike the solid state sound.) The Metas do have more and deeper bass, but it's a solid state bass, so that might not be your thing. I prefer Etymotics with the MG Head, but only with my favorite tubes, and even then just by a hair. Haven't tried the Senns.

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks, Wodgy.
I guess I need to stick to either their the Cary or another PLUS the MG HEAD OTL again!!!!! Dang. Kevin P. Wanna send it back?
Just kiddin"
merc

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 12
Wodgy nailed it. The MG Head does something magic in the midrange that nothing anywhere near it in price seems to pull off.

I posted a review of the META42 that should be in the full length reviews section and it has a summary of the parts used. This is a great configuration for the HD600 and that's one of the headphones I used for my evaluation. It's a fairly versatile amp with those parts, though, and none of the headphones I heard really sounded like the amp was a bad mate for them.

Nov 7, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks Kelly,
HD600 is SS stuff.

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 12
After moving through a cornucopia of different amps... Lextek wound up with the MG Head, for the third time.

For the money, it is the hardest tube amp to beat. I generally prefer it to all solid state amps that rank under the Sugden/Max, and tube amps costing under $700. There may be an exception although nothing comes to mind.

For a "true" upgrade over the Head (an upgrade where no tradeoffs are made and everything good gets better), the AudioValve RKV, Twin Head, and Ear HP4 are the ones to aspire to.

Nov 8, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Personally, I prefer my Meta to the MG Head. The Meta really gives that bass punch, and the highs are very extended. True, the MG Head does have those lucious mids. . . I may consider one in the future, if/when ASL gets their NA distributing together, and tube rolling sounds like so much fun. . . anyone wanna trade?
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 12
For the price of a Cardas Neutral Reference you could get yourself a Telefunken ECC803S or two
eek.gif

(one of, if not the rarest and best tubes ever made for the MG Head; eBay price $400-$600; dealer price ~$800 if you can find it)

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous

For a "true" upgrade over the Head (an upgrade where no tradeoffs are made and everything good gets better), the AudioValve RKV, Twin Head, and Ear HP4 are the ones to aspire to.

I'd have to add the Berning MicroZOTL to that list.

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

After moving through a cornucopia of different amps... Lextek wound up with the MG Head, for the third time.

For the money, it is the hardest tube amp to beat. I generally prefer it to all solid state amps that rank under the Sugden/Max, and tube amps costing under $700. There may be an exception although nothing comes to mind.

I agree with most of this but I was willing to trade the MG Head's midrange for better extension and speed in the lower priced amps so I dig the Corda HA-1 and META42. It's a painful trade to have to make, though.

Of course, for me also it is practically a three-way tie for best tube amp between the RKV, TwinHead and HP4.

But... I do think there are a couple of middle priced solid state amps that Nick hasn't heard yet. We'll remedy this very soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I'd have to add the EarMax Pro to that list...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back