I really need help with IEMs! Just starting out.
Mar 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

NeroHawke

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I've been looking through the forums for the past 3 days, researching IEMs and Portable amps to make the jump from the standard iPod earphones to something with better quality sound. The forums have been helpful, especially with all of the available reviews, but I still don't know what to settle on. I am hoping that somebody can help me out.

Here is a list of IEMs that I've been reading good things about:

- Monster Turbine Pro/Gold/Copper

- Fischer Audio Silver Bullet

- NuForce NE-700X

- Sunrise SW-Xcape

- Head-Direct RE0

- Sherwood SE-777

Of course, I am open to anybody's suggestions. I have a $150 budget, but I would prefer to keep it within the $60-$90 range. Just to be clear, I am not a bassjunkie/basshead, but I wouldn't mind a bit of "ooomph." Other than that, I would prefer an IEM that has good quality sound for most types of music, especially the following music: Melodic/Progressive Metal, Alternative, PopRock, Hip-Hop/Rap, Trance, Electro House, Dubstep, and Classical/Baroque (I mostly listen to Metal and Dubstep though.)

Thank You.

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 6
I have only heard the RE-0s and the Turbine Coppers, so I will keep my advice to those two. The RE-0 is not for those who desire 'a bit of oomph' in the song. Though it is very detailed in its highs, the bass is more lacking than the reviews will have you think, and it is not a signature everybody may love. The normal person will warm to the coppers' signature better. Having the Coppers, I can say that they are a great steal (esp at the current Amazon price), and very worth the money as the first step towards good sound. They offer a 'balanced' sound with just a little more tuned to the bass.

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 6
If you can get the MTPG or MPTC in your price range they are are both very nice. The Copper will be more detailed and has more treble energy. I have not owned the others but have read enough I think the RE0 and the Sunrise might not have enough oomph for you. Another model that you might want to consider is the SE215 as it will be in your price range comfortably and while not quite as detailed as the MTPC will still have plenty of detail, almost as good oomph and a bit better sound stage and midrange in my opinion.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 6
I have a pair of Turbines, and am planning on ordering Silver Bullets in the next few days. Presumably you don't want to wait multiple weeks until I receive them and can report back with my experiences, though.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 6
My previous pair of earphones were the Turbine Coppers.. despite monster having a lot of haters here, I really appreciated them and heard a lot of new stuff in my music I never did when using stock earphones. 

My current pair of IEMs are the re0s. They're much much cheaper than the turbines but is just so much better than it. If you want the best bang for your buck, go with the RE0s. It should be worth mentioning though that I'm using it with a FiiO e5 to compensate for the Bass and for its need for more power. If you're hesitating on spending on an amplifier, you should know that it's a pretty good investment since it can be used with whatever IEM you choose upgrade to. As a bonus, it saves on the power of your music player :D

I can't comment on your other options since I haven't really owned or tried them out. but if it goes down to monster vs re0s, re0s win hands down

Mar 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the input you guys. I would have gone with the RE0s, but as it turns out my budget turned out to be less than $90 - that left me with no money for me to even consider an AMP. Perhaps for another time. I ended up going with the Thinksound TS02s instead. From what I read, they're pretty bassy and have a fairly decent balanced sound. I can't wait to try them out. Once again, thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back