I really need help from the savvy veteran knowledgeable guys here
Jan 16, 2015 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

keithhr1

New Head-Fier
I am writing this because I used to be an hd800 enthusiast but no more. I gor mine and the ear pads never sealed themselves properly no matter what I did. They were literally falling apart to the extent
that they were unlistenable. Sennheiser always avoided the problems I contacted them about but it seems to me that quality control was pretty much non existent. It has gotten so bad that I don't listen
to them any longer because I can't. My wife didn't want to hear the tv so I purchased a nice Burson headphone amp but sadly my $1500 expenditure was a totally BS waste of money. I have patented a
wire cable technology that uses wire so small that you can't see it with the naked eye. I made up cables for my backup AKG K-702 headphones and I would be tempted to buy something to replace the HD-800
phones but I don't know what to buy. The 800's did have some very compelling reasons to use them.
      I am at a loss and one of the reason I got the 702's is because they use universal connectors that I can use. I think everyone knows the cons of the 702's and If I hadn't heard the Senns, I wouldn't have complaints.
I hoping some savvy head-fi experts? who have done a lot of comparing would help me by listing their top 5 contenders. I have a handmade proprietary digital processor and hand made speakers with the most unique driver compliment I have ever seen. They include a front 4 driver array on each speaker with 2" drivers that go from 140hz to 25k with matching 8" side mounted woofers to handle the rest of the bottom end.
In effect my speakers are faster than my headphones and just as detailed or better. 
       I am using the highly regarded jobs 225 amp made on the goldmund factory assembly line using a version of the 9th generation high bandwidth design that they use in all of their amps. The audio shark forums
had people ( many, many people describing these modestly priced $1700 amps as soundly beating amps they own in the $20,000 to $30,000 price range. After reading review after review after review extolling these
amps as being they best they have heard at any price, I coudln't stand it any longer and I ordered this relatively tiny amp with nary a listen . as it turns out THE BEST PURCHASE I HAVE EVER MADE, utterly brilliant
sounding, amazing, amazing. 6moon jumped on the bandwagon and did a review of their ownl.
   I just wanted to share my stunning discovery,
back to business at hand  please, please, please I desparate for that headphone list and I know this is the definitive place to ask this question, so take pity give me a really good list pleae
thanks,
Keith

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 3
Were your HD800 earpads falling apart? I bought a new set for my pair. They are annoyingly fiddly to install but I'd agree the materials on the HD800s are somewhat poor.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 3
I think my pair is great QC wise. Anyway, I have an idea for you. You could make your own headphones, more specifically I'm thinking about a DIY electrostat. This will require a dedicated 'stat amp, but you could start out with a transformer box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back