I really miss the search function
Apr 13, 2004 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

tortie

Headphoneus Supremus
Do you guys have any idea why the search function is off and when it will be enabled again?

My usual habit here is to check the "view new posts" section, and I feel lost without it.
biggrin.gif
I hope it will be back soon.

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Do you guys have any idea why the search function is off and when it will be enabled again?

My usual habit here is to check the "view new posts" section, and I feel lost without it.
biggrin.gif
I hope it will be back soon.

"Please do not adjust your set. Our programming has been temporarily interrupted."

I miss the search function too, but apparently the choice is between a functional Search or a functional Head-Fi a this juncture.

My solution is to check the forums, limiting to the last day or two. I know the time of my last log-on, so it gives me a quick way to scan for new postings. We adapt in these times of tribulation.
biggrin.gif

BW

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 26
I've wanted to research gear, and feel pretty crippled by the lack of search function. Head-fi's a free service though, so <shrugs> no real complaints from me.
biggrin.gif

Trevor

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 26
Doing our best, folks. Right now, if we turn on the search (which I try from time to time), the forums start to hang badly.

Again, a new rack is awaiting us at Level(3), and new* hardware for it coming very soon.

We will rock and roll again soon.

Thanks for your patience (or for at least gritting your teeth in frustration with a relatively patient outer apperance).

[size=xx-small]* I use "new" a bit loosely, as we will likely be acquiring very good used hardware for us (but, hey, it'll be new to Head-Fi anyway).[/size]

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
[size=xx-small]* I use "new" a bit loosely, as we will likely be acquiring very good used hardware for us (but, hey, it'll be new to Head-Fi anyway).[/size]

Best way to do that, it is incredible how much money you can save!

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Doing our best, folks. Right now, if we turn on the search (which I try from time to time), the forums start to hang badly.

Again, a new rack is awaiting us at Level(3), and new* hardware for it coming very soon.

Thanks for your patience (or for at least gritting your teeth in frustration with a relatively patient outer apperance).

Good News
biggrin.gif
really appreciate all the hark work you have put into Head-fi Jude
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 26
new hardware? I like new hardware (even if it is used new hardware).
biggrin.gif
in the past few days head-fi has been slow and I always think it is my own network's problem, but other sites are fast... very confusing.
tongue.gif
keep up the great work jude.

Apr 13, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 26
Jude,
To avoid all of these burdens you could just delete the archive, remove some of the users, and limit the available user options.

Or, I suppose you could stick with your plan with the hardware upgrade.

Thanks for being a cool guy Jude. Awfully nice of you. I like this place.
280smile.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 26
Let us simply have a donation button, even if it is anonymous, as there are many members here (but not all) who would willingly donate anonymously without any credit at all.

Peter

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 26
With regard to donations, have a look at what www.photo.net did. They asked members to make a small contribution (say $10)towards the upkeep of the site. It was purely voluntary, of course, but those members who donated were awarded with an icon next to their user id as a mark of thanks from the site (a little "head-fi hero" icon would work). Nobody felt pressured into giving (and I think that's important so it must be done in the right way) and it was just a one time basis, but it added up to a fair old sum. If you have 11000 members, it really only needs less than 10% to give and you've got a good wad to buy new hardware etc....Paypal makes this real easy to accomplish, too.

Just a thought...

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Thanks Jude, I look forward to that.
wink.gif
Disabling the search function has helped the flow of things around here no doubt, but it's like robbing Peter, to pay Paul.
frown.gif
Although it sounds like you have a long-term solution in store for us, which will be greatly appreciated by all.

Jude, when you first started Head-Fi could even you have foreseen the rapid growth it has experienced? BTW, if there is anything I can do to help, financially or whatever, just let me know. Thanks again.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by ipodstudio
With regard to donations, have a look at what www.photo.net did. They asked members to make a small contribution (say $10)towards the upkeep of the site. It was purely voluntary, of course, but those members who donated were awarded with an icon next to their user id as a mark of thanks from the site (a little "head-fi hero" icon would work). Nobody felt pressured into giving (and I think that's important so it must be done in the right way) and it was just a one time basis, but it added up to a fair old sum. If you have 11000 members, it really only needs less than 10% to give and you've got a good wad to buy new hardware etc....Paypal makes this real easy to accomplish, too.

Just a thought...

Exactly! Then we could have this site running on a quad AMD opteron rig, with a 16 drive SCSI raid array.
eek.gif
I would give $10.... Who else is up for this?

Apr 13, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by ProParadox
Exactly! Then we could have this site running on a quad AMD opteron rig, with a 16 drive SCSI raid array.
eek.gif
I would give $10.... Who else is up for this?

Hey, after all the help this site has given me, I'm in for $10. Just setup the Paypal account and gimme my icon
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 26
Just to show you what I mean, here is the icon they use at photo.net:

patron.gif

So each donating members' ID would look like this:

Member ID
patron.gif

Just need to find a "Head-Fi Hero" icon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back