I really have no excuse to buy new headphones in the future.
Sep 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

yepimonfire

500+ Head-Fier
I recently picked up some AKG q701's to replace my AD-700's. I liked the AD-700, but they had issues i didn't like (such as siblance, unnatural sounding highs, and an annoying lack of lows). The minute I put the AKG's on my head it sounded perfect, everything was tonally accurate and linear (my preference of sound). I have listened to them for a good two weeks now every day for several hours and i really can't think of anything i don't like about the way they sound. Everything just sounds perfect, with every album i own, every videogame i've played, and........even movies sound great (i usually cannot stand watching movies with headphones, they always sounded unnatural).

Unless you guys can recommend something that is even more tonally accurate, there is no where to go in terms of upgrading. Is there anything out there?

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 14
Opinions about Q701 are quite polarised: some people love them, others hate them (check the Q701 appreciation thread). It's good to see that you belong to the first camp, but if you are happy with the sound then why are you asking about alternatives?

I have been using Q701s for a few months and appreciate their surgical precision and ample soundstage, but that doesn't stop me from seeing their limitations. I have learned to deal with some of them and accept the others and in the end count myself in the supporters camp too, however my quest for the perfect sound continues.

Out of the headphones I have tried, the HD650 and LCD-2 I'd certainly consider an upgrade. I'm sure there are other options too.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
I recently picked up some AKG q701's to replace my AD-700's. I liked the AD-700, but they had issues i didn't like (such as siblance, unnatural sounding highs, and an annoying lack of lows). The minute I put the AKG's on my head it sounded perfect, everything was tonally accurate and linear (my preference of sound). I have listened to them for a good two weeks now every day for several hours and i really can't think of anything i don't like about the way they sound. Everything just sounds perfect, with every album i own, every videogame i've played, and........even movies sound great (i usually cannot stand watching movies with headphones, they always sounded unnatural).

Unless you guys can recommend something that is even more tonally accurate, there is no where to go in terms of upgrading. Is there anything out there?

Heya,

You found a headphone that pleases you in all ways for all media.

Stop there. Don't login anymore. Forget that other headphones exist. And enjoy.

Otherwise, curiosity will take your wallet and run. And here at Head-Fi, you'll always be tempted by a new headphone, some new amplifier, some new DAC, some new cable... etc, etc, etc.

The Q701 is a great headphone for someone who wants what you want; linear and accurate with a nice sound stage. It can be too dry, lifeless and anemic for some people. I thought it was a dry, but slightly warm headphone. It was great for most purposes. And it can get rather bassy with some equalization (I loved it from a Fiio E10 with bass enhanced +3db).

Very best,

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

LOL. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 14
Glad your enjoying your phones, but since when do you need an EXCUSE to buy new headphones? 
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Coming from a big fan of the Q701, the Sennheiser HD800 and Audeze LCD2 are both great upgrades.

yeah i'm eyeing that LCD 2. let's just say it's a nice thought, but unfortunately that is all it will ever be lol. even if i had the money i could never justify spending it on headphones.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 14
maybe u are a candidate for cable upgrades....since u have settled on the can of your love. :p
i managed to snag a pair of Alo cables for the Q701 on the cheap............ i hear cleaner, n improved dynamics over the stock cable..tomyears.
( this post is gonna attract the cable-detractors..n their placebo/novalueformoney/yadayadayada posts...zzzz...so i am gonna stop here. :p )

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
maybe u are a candidate for cable upgrades....since u have settled on the can of your love. :p
i managed to snag a pair of Alo cables for the Q701 on the cheap............ i hear cleaner, n improved dynamics over the stock cable..tomyears.
( this post is gonna attract the cable-detractors..n their placebo/novalueformoney/yadayadayada posts...zzzz...so i am gonna stop here. :p )

no offense, but i don't really buy the whole cable thing.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
no offense, but i don't really buy the whole cable thing.

A while back I was ranting about this sort of thing to a friend, he just walked over to one of my guitar amps, picked up one of my cables and asked why I didn't use a $9.00 no-name instrument cable from a random chain store.

There ARE limits I think, and definitely a point of diminishing returns, but cabling CAN make a definite difference.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
A while back I was ranting about this sort of thing to a friend, he just walked over to one of my guitar amps, picked up one of my cables and asked why I didn't use a $9.00 no-name instrument cable from a random chain store.

There ARE limits I think, and definitely a point of diminishing returns, but cabling CAN make a definite difference.

perhaps, but on most high end headphones, i believe the stock cable is just as good as any cable. i'd also much rather use that money on gear/music. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
perhaps, but on most high end headphones, i believe the stock cable is just as good as any cable. i'd also much rather use that money on gear/music. 

Yup, I absolutely agree with you, hence why I tried to include limiting wordage in my post.  :wink:  
In the interest of full disclosure, I've recabled a few headphones in the past, but my Q701 has the stock cable, and my RS325i shall be recabled mainly to change the plug and for cosmetic purposes.

We agree.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

Otherwise, curiosity will take your wallet and run. And here at Head-Fi, you'll always be tempted by a new headphone, some new amplifier, some new DAC, some new cable... etc, etc, etc.

The Q701 is a great headphone for someone who wants what you want; linear and accurate with a nice sound stage. It can be too dry, lifeless and anemic for some people. I thought it was a dry, but slightly warm headphone. It was great for most purposes. And it can get rather bassy with some equalization (I loved it from a Fiio E10 with bass enhanced +3db).

Very best,

I have not been here much but from what I have seen Mal is a great and helpful poster and deserves very high praise.

With respect to the talk about cables I doubt that simply replacing the stock cable of a high end phone will do much. However, I would not be surprised if replacing the stock cables with balanced cables and using a balanced amp would be a nice upgrade...

With respect to $9 stock music shop cables (for a pre to power amp connection) I thought it would be nice if these were as good as my balanced Kimber cables. I tried, and the stock music shop cables failed, miserably. They were a drag on my system...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back