I put Beyer velour pads on my Panasonic RP-HTX7's
Jun 5, 2008 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
I really like these cans, but they were becoming increasingly uncomfortable due to the plastic ear cups cracking. I've seen this on other people's cans as well in the street, and remembered that I had some Beyer velour pads in my closet, which were supposed to be fit onto my Sony V6's before they bit the big one. So I figured what the hell, it's worth a shot:

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

As it turns out, they're now more comfortable than ever, and I've no problems (so far) with fitting issues, except that there's some excess padding hanging off the main cup on the bottom end (though if you prefer it to be excess on the top, you can easily switch the position of the pad.

It's so simple a mod, even a cavema... oh, you get it. You basically have to take off the ring which attaches to the body, off, and then slip the ring under (one side, either your top or bottom, it doesn't matter) the plastic portion of the Beyer pads. You then stretch the plastic a bit, over the bit(s) which the original pads were slipped onto, and of course, you'll have to create a slit for them to fit. I simply stretched, pulled down tight, and used a razor to make a fine slit and simply inserted when done.

I think it's important to note that the best results are had when you only do this to one side, and not both. If you try and pull the plastic over all four positions, you'll have some ugly and bulky slack left over in places, which you'l be forced to try and either glue down, or staple. And this makes things complicated when you try and snap the pieces back into the headphone cups. So I'd suggest doing only two slots, and then neatly gluing the residual plastic down in an even manner.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! I was looking for a way to replace my HTX7 pads with something better. By the way, does the sound change with the pad switch?

Not terribly much. I also cut out the inner lining of those velour pads, so that it's open and airy like it was before. There's more distance between my ear and the driver now because the cushion is thicker, and the band won't clasp quite as tight as it did before (which wasn't much to begin with) but it sounds great to me.

Doug

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 18
I wish the images would load for me, I'm also looking for replacement pads (anything compatible) for these headphones because of the plastic cracking.  Does anyone know a good solution?  Thanks

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 18
I have the same problem as samrusoff. Since the pictures don't load and it is not stated in this threa: does somebody know which pads were used exactly? Beyerdynamic sells many different ones. Does someone know pads that fit even better?

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
I have the same problem as samrusoff. Since the pictures don't load and it is not stated in this threa: does somebody know which pads were used exactly? Beyerdynamic sells many different ones. Does someone know pads that fit even better?

Wow. I haven't posted here in like.. forever! Not that my wallet is any heavier, since I picked up photography as an new thing ! In any case, I bought those pads from B&H photo and a search on their site got me to them:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704.html

However, since then *and I am actually still using the Panny's* I have done away with those Beyer pads for reasons I can't quite remember and have replaced them with a very interesting but effective mod. One which requires going to a place like Home Depot or Lowes etc.. I bought this type of flat 1/4" thick black foam which comes in a 1'x3/4' pad and I then took the detachable part of the headphone cups off in order to lay them down on the pad to outline the size I needed to cut out.

I then basically cut a hole the size of a silver dollar from the middle and super glued the black foam pads on each one. Works splendidly. Don't have time now, but perhaps I'll post photos of it tomorrow.

Doug

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Here's a quick shot of the new pads. And please realize, I did this job in a rush, and my razor was pretty dull so it didn't come out too neat/clean. Anyone can do a better job that that with a little bit of patience.

Doug

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 18
Thank you very much Doug. Foam is a good idea, too, but you are right, it doesn't look very pretty :wink:

Do you happen to still have the pictures you posted above of your beyerdynamic mod? I'd like to see that, too.

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for the updated pics Doug, looks like you've got a nice camera.  I guess I'll try my luck with some foam and an XACTO razor before I go shopping for a new pair of cans, I wish there was something like a real manufactured replacement for these though.  

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Thank you very much Doug. Foam is a good idea, too, but you are right, it doesn't look very pretty :wink:

Do you happen to still have the pictures you posted above of your beyerdynamic mod? I'd like to see that, too.

I'm afraid not sir. That was a long time ago. But the beyer mods also require either some glue, or for you to cut and stretch the plastic on the back of them in order to fit over the 4 protrusions. And to be honest, the circumference of the beyer's are a bit too wide to fit comfortably on them. The foam mod works a LOT better.

Quote:
Thanks for the updated pics Doug, looks like you've got a nice camera.  I guess I'll try my luck with some foam and an XACTO razor before I go shopping for a new pair of cans, I wish there was something like a real manufactured replacement for these though.  

No prob. As said above, the foam IMO works MUCH better because you can fit them perfectly on the removable pieces, and if you take your time with the cuts it will look worlds better than my lazy ugly job !

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back