I now know how Bose Sucks
Nov 11, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #31 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzraider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, I got the A900ti at around 120$ US. Isn't it a good bargain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get noise cancelling on other brands for cheaper too. I got the Audio Technica ones for $90 refurbished.

Where did you guys get the A900ti's that cheap?
Before I got the D5000's I've looked for them all over the internet to get a good deal, I found nothing.

Nov 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #32 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by tribestros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm on the Bose bandwagon but not B&O...those speakers are outrageous overpriced, why spend the money on B&O when Martin Logan and Definitive are in the same price range? Electrostat MLs and the Powertower DefTechs embarrass whatever B&O has to offer.

electrostatics will embarrass virtually anything at any price range. But i'm happy with my Dynaudio's for now. I have to say I like the B&O form 2's or i should say that they weren't as bad as some reviews i've read. at the time in only had my AKG K450 to compare but they reminded me of the Senn HD238's. I have to say that they weren't the most comfortable headphones.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #33 of 88
IMO bose don't sound bad( or great either), but when you factor in what they cost compared to other cans in the same price range, then they do sound bad. In fact, horrible when you look at what you can get for the same(or even less)money. If they were arond 50.00, they wouldn't sound bad at all. Just my opinion though.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #34 of 88
It's just my opinion that most of Bose's negative publicity comes from their outrageous prices and their shady business practices. The Lifestyle systems we sell at Best Buy, $2000 for an average surround sound system, is outrageous.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #35 of 88
comments about price just aren't helpful. if i was to approach you with $200 and said "i've got my mind set on a pair of Bose", and you said "Well Bose are a rip off, they're a terrible price, etc." I'd just ignore you as a mad ranting fool. But talk about the alternative, show me some reviews some comparisons some proof that you've actually taken time to listen to them .... and most importantly .... without bias, and then tell me what the alternative are, then I'd have half and ounce of respect for you as someone who actually knows what they're talking about, instead of some bitter ranting nutcase, and I'd take your opinions on board.

Don't just rant on about the cost, what are my options, and why, and where's your proof to back up what you say.

As i asked before, when it comes to the Bose Triport OE, what are my alternative in terms of sound, size comfort and price, and don't mention the AKG K450 or K518, Zino's, HD238, c-jays, PX100, PX200, iGrado's, Denon AH-p372, nuforce, 'cause they're half the price, and i know they can't really match the OE's .. performance. So what are your alternative suggestions for me?

Tiny size, comfort, price.

The only two that i can think of are;

1) my all time favs, the Sennheiser HD25-1. But to be honest, the clamping effect is quite hard. After a few minutes, you really know you've got them on your head.

2) AKG K518's. If there ever was a "you can do better for half the price." pair of headphones, then I would put these up for your consideration. Not as well suited when the going gets a little more relaxed, but there again, the OE's bass is constantly working overtime, whether with Mozart, Micky or Mystkal. The same might be said of the AKG's, there's no 'off' switch when you're not in the mood for head banging bass ... which the k518's do amazingly for the price .. too head banging maybe!

Size = Bose, AKG, Senn
Comfort= Bose by clear margin, AKG, Senn
Sound = Senn, Bose even with the price difference the AKG's do very, very well.
When I'm in the mood = Bose, (2nd) AKG Senn

I have to mark the HD25-1 down a few points for comfort, 'cause there isn't any, and sometimes I'd want a bit more .... playability from the AKG's. However in terms of performance they all tackle the same problem from a different angle. the HD25-1 can do bass, nice and tight, the akg's have a price advantage, but sometimes ... like when I'm watching/listening to stuff like Dirtyphonics, or the odd fast action movie, the HD25 and AKG make you feel like a bystander, where with the Bose, you feel like your there. I was always taught that 'Bass is a feeling, not a sound'. I remember setting up a rig with my friend, and when we did the sound check, his dad was right at the back shouting, "i can't feel it, i want to feel it." that's want i thought bass was.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #36 of 88
Some Bose products (particularly their surround systems) are overpriced.
The headphones, however, are most definitely not in that category.

My Triports only cost $120, which is a bargain for the excellent performance they provide, as well as an entry-level price for good phones. I have heard nothing under $150 (and very few phones under $250) that sound better.

Even after spending a lot of time with reference-level cans such as HD650 and GMP-8.300D, the Bose still sound good. How anybody can call $120 overpriced for that kind of quality is beyond me!

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #37 of 88
Thank you! I'll enjoy my Bose OEs, very much so in fact.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #38 of 88
People usually consider bass heavy headphones as "good" headphones because of the initial "wow" factor that kicks in as soon as you turn on the music. Everybody hears differently, and have different expectations of what a "good" headphone should sound like. Which is why there is no such thing as undisputed good sounding pair of headphones.

I love the crisp, clean sound of Grado, but sometimes, when the mood strikes, I'd reach for my Bose QC2 for the extra oooooomph.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #39 of 88
Blitzraider,

First off welcome to headfi, looks like you sparked one of the old conflicts which occurs on these forums at least once a month lol.

This is probably the best place to get news, opinions and info on anything headphone related.

But end of the day I think the most important factor is what you think as you are the one who is going to be using it. Seems you prefer your new A900ti which is great, until you start comparing other cans you won’t know what’s out there but at the same time I not telling you to go buy everything you can afford.

Just make sure you take every chance you get to demo something whether it be source, amp, cables, cans.

bah, starting to waffle, I've tried the Bose QC3 and tbh I was quite surprised, they definitely weren’t as bad as as some would say. I can understand why a lot of people would be discouraged to get them as they are pretty pricey. But with mainstream products it’s expected, just remember you not just paying for product, it’s a way of life lol. We all know you don’t buy Apple when it comes to value for money, I guess Bose is the same.

Everyone will be searching for their own perfect sound signature, so good luck on your journey and sorry about your wallet.

Ady

Nov 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the crisp, clean sound of Grado, but sometimes, when the mood strikes, I'd reach for my Bose QC2 for the extra oooooomph.
smily_headphones1.gif

that's the beauty of having more than one pair. there's no 'One' perfect pair of headphones. much as i've mused about the HD25-1 being the best all whether, all rounder headphones, i have to concede that the comfort isn't the best.

the problem is that with limited budgets, you have to grab what's out there. I yet to see any one person try every single pair of headphones in the world, and then has written a comparison.

I've been prejudice to many headphones in the past, yet when i've actually bought them and tried them the results have been quite unexpected. that's why i call most Bose bashers ignorant, not in a derogatory way, but i the fact, fact that they know nothing until they've actually tried them, and 2 minutes in a shop is no substitute for a true full comparison. were that the case i could have thrown my Stax headphones back at audiocubes.com the moment i tried them and demanded my money back. the same could be said for my AKG portables, but you have to give them a chance, and give your ears a chance to adjust.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #41 of 88
I often reach for my Bose Foldup/portable OE headphones. I love them. Full bodied sound. Fun listen. Slighter darker than other headphones, but then again, I find a lot of headphones very sibilant.

Bose headphones are sold at major outlets in the UK as 'High End' portables. While they're not 'high end' they are not as bad as many people seem to think here imo.

I don't particularly care for the way that so many have jumped on Bose Bashing with derogatory statements and initials about them when I wonder whether many of these people have actually given them a proper listen.

I saw one review here that was detached and more honest but on the whole, I don't like the sheep attitude of people with no real opinion of their own.

They loosen up with time and this was mentioned in the review I saw some time ago. I also wonder how many people here have tried them on the end of a decent amplifier? After all, the Senn 650 is apparently dark and veiled without good amping .....

The Bose is too. try driving them with something better than an Ipod. You'll discover a full bodied and weighty sound. The headphones isolate quite well and they are one of the most comfortable OE headpones I have ever tried.

Even the title of this thread is just an assumption.

Ian

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #42 of 88
I don't really have an opinion on Bose but I think it's funny when people complain about price in a forum where people pay top dollar for cables, DACS, mods (inc yours truly), amps, tubes, etc.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #43 of 88
I have no input on Bose headphones but I do own a pair of Bose speakers which works wonders.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #44 of 88
The 901s are excellent speakers, so are their new line of Direct/Reflecting speakers.

Their Lifestyle and 3-2-1 systems are what gives Bose a bad name.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #45 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the Bose again after a long break, and I still really like them. I just can't figure out why they get such a bad rap here, when they sound excellent to me. I may end up preferring my HD650s or GMP 8.300Ds overall in the long run, but that does not diminish the fact that the Triports sound good.

(For those who asked, I am driving them with the same setup as all my other phones: a Little Dot MK V with an Onkyo CD changer as the source.)

HD650 need good amp to shine. Little Dot MK V is not there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back