I now know how Bose Sucks
Sep 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

blitzraider

Head-Fier
Before, I wasn't really sure why are Bose headphones so badly criticized. Now I know

I just got myself the ATH-A900ti headphones and a fiio E3 amp for fun at first. I wanted to see how audiophile headphones. Even with that small amp, the sound that is being produced is much more sparkling (I don't really know how to explain it). Comparing it with my Bose QC3, I finally know the meaning of muddy music. Heck, the headphones don't sound too good even with the amp. Before I got the A900ti, I never knew the meaning of good sound quality.
L3000.gif
I pretty sure a lot of people are like me, they do not know how good music can get because they have only experienced what they have. So when they hear Bose, they think it is so much better.

But the Bose headphone's win in noise canceling and portability. The NC really helps when you are in a subway or something like that. And I obviously cannot bring A900ti around, though I wished I could.

The Bose headphones are good in NC and portability, but not SQ. I guess if they didn't promote their SQ, they wouldn't be flamed so badly.

By the way, I got the A900ti at around 120$ US. Isn't it a good bargain?

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 88
My Bose AEs sound very nearly as good as my HD650s. Add the comfort factor and isolation, and I actually prefer them much of the time.
People like Bose because they sound good, not because they haven't heard "better"
By the way, what you perceive as "more sparking" is probably just brighter.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 88
Are you using you 650's with a 20$ chinese pmp?
Unless your ears are damaged there is no way a 650 sounds worse than bose's unimpressive phones.
Sure bose's phones dont sound bad but you can find much better.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane
My Bose AEs sound very nearly as good as my HD650s. Add the comfort factor and isolation, and I actually prefer them much of the time.
People like Bose because they sound good, not because they haven't heard "better"

Get your flame-recistance suit now !
icon10.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have no doubt that some might prefer the Bose over a HD650 and there's nothing wrong with preferring one's sound signature over another headphone that's more technically gifted.

However, I'm interested in a more thorough comparison between the two and what you're driving the HD650 with so we can have a better perspective.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no doubt that some might prefer the Bose over a HD650 and there's nothing wrong with preferring one's sound signature over another.

However, I'm interested in a more thorough comparison between the two and what you're driving the HD650 with so we can have a better perspective.

I'd have to agree, it's hard to get a feeling as to why your preferences are this way without knowing your setup.

Many people like monster cans, like bose, doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. Perhaps just bad at their price point
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 88
There may be only a part of the Bose headphone line that is good. People like many different things for many different reasons. Sometimes a new sound signature will give people a thrill as it is new and fresh. All I say is keep your old headphones around and do not sell them if you can. There may be a time when you come back to a sound. No matter how much I thought this would not happen to me it did. lol.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 88
Back to the Bose again after a long break, and I still really like them. I just can't figure out why they get such a bad rap here, when they sound excellent to me. I may end up preferring my HD650s or GMP 8.300Ds overall in the long run, but that does not diminish the fact that the Triports sound good.

(For those who asked, I am driving them with the same setup as all my other phones: a Little Dot MK V with an Onkyo CD changer as the source.)

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 88
Anything mainstream always get a lot of crap for people that want to be special not mainstream
biggrin.gif

Bose have got a bit of a respite now that Skullcandy is popular though.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #10 of 88
The Bose On-Ears I have are astonishing, burdened by the typical "Mainstream sucks Bose sucks" agenda most people have. Now, I wouldn't go as far to compare them with 650 Senns, but mid-line Senns aren't as rich as the Bose.

There is a thick, realistic soundstage with a lot of mids and lows. They don't excel in higher freqs and don't separate the instruments very well but are pure fun headphones.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 88
Go glass with those 650s and you'll change your tune. I guarantee it.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #12 of 88
To the OP: don't listen to the people comparing Bose with the HD-650. The difference is night and day. Even my dad can tell the difference! I don't mind that Bose exists, I don't run around trying to convert people to better cans, but if you compare them with an HD-650 then I have to speak up! Yes I have owned a HD-650 and heard every Bose can.

Oh yeah and welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!!!!!!!!

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 88
To be honest, the bose in ear phones really sucked for me, I got quite a few of them - Don't ask how but I ended up selling them 40$ each to friends. And now, in the hallways at school...I see a bunch of people with bose, I don't know if I had anything to do with it since I sold so many..

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzraider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the Bose headphone's win in noise canceling and portability. The NC really helps when you are in a subway or something like that.

You can get noise cancelling on other brands for cheaper too. I got the Audio Technica ones for $90 refurbished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back