I NEED YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE???? Beautiful headphones.
Nov 18, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful in the sense of it's appearance or beautiful in the sense of it's sound? I would be more interested in the beauty of it's sound rather than it's appearance. Who cares about their appearance beauty (or not) once they are on your head?

Beauty in terms of their appearance. I am an artist and I care about beautiful looking objects. Yes, it would be great if the headphones sounded great also but that is another topic. On a side note, I knew the Audio-Technica L3000 would come up here. Even though I appreciate the color scheme, do people really propose that they are the most beautiful headphones ever made? Powder-coated copper over metal is not my idea of beautiful. This reminds me of chromed plastic details on current BMW's and Mercedes automobiles.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #18 of 31
Red Master Plus, is the powder coating on the L3000's painted on plastic or on metal? Though several of your headphones are beautiful indeed, would you rank them as the most beautiful ever made?

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #19 of 31
L3000 is Connolly Leather - same kind used in bentleys, rolls, Astons. I had a chance to feel and listen to those cans, and yes they come pretty close to being the top. I personally prefer woodies though - so W2002 gets my vote

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000 is Connolly Leather - same kind used in bentleys, rolls, Astons. I had a chance to feel and listen to those cans, and yes they come pretty close to being the top. I personally prefer woodies though - so W2002 gets my vote

Red Master, sorry I didn't explain clearly enough. What I meant were the spray painted pieces above the ear cup, not the leather. Are those pieces metal or plastic?

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Red Master, sorry I didn't explain clearly enough. What I meant were the spray painted pieces above the ear cup, not the leather. Are those pieces metal or plastic?

plastic, mate. Making them out of metal would make them very, very heavy.

I had Grado SR325i for a while, and it was fairly uncomfortable due to all the metal enclosure - making that whole piece out of metal (also the WINGS mechanism) would be uncomfortably heavy.

Qualia 010, AFAIK, is made out of magnesium alloy.

perhaps Qualia and L3000 owner could confirm this - Wmcmanus? Elephas?

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #23 of 31
Thanks, I thought they were plastic but I wasn't for sure. Spray painted plastic is not my idea of the most beautiful headphone in the world. Spray painted plastic is what acid-washed jeans were to the 80's. But I suppose some people believe them to be beautiful.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Thanks, I thought they were plastic but I wasn't for sure. Spray painted plastic is not my idea of the most beautiful headphone in the world. Spray painted plastic is what acid-washed jeans were to the 80's. But I suppose some people believe them to be beautiful.

I personally have no problems with plastic in headphone world. It's either that or carbon fiber.
wink.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #25 of 31
Red Master, I don't personally have a problem with plastic used in headphone production either. It is part of our world forever, but powder coating plastic to look like metal is like scratching on a chalk board to me. Also, I can't see any headphones that are finished with this effect to be among the most beautiful headphones ever made. Carbon Fiber on the other hand, should be making more of a presence in the Hi-Fi community. We need another Qualia for that I suppose.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Red Master, I don't personally have a problem with plastic used in headphone production either. It is part of our world forever, but powder coating plastic to look like metal is like scratching on a chalk board to me. Also, I can't see any headphones that are finished with this effect to be among the most beautiful headphones ever made. Carbon Fiber on the other hand, should be making more of a presence in the Hi-Fi community. We need another Qualia for that I suppose.

eh, they tried
wink.gif
They look much, much better in person and they don't feel cheap at all.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #27 of 31
Stax SR-007BL, Stax SR-007MK2, Sony Qualia 010, AKG K1000, Grado HP1000 are all up there imo.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #29 of 31
Thanks Krmathis for your input. I think when I start the poll, I am going to have to pair up some headphones on a single line. For instance the Stax SR-007BL and Stax SR-007MK2. Also perhaps the AKG 701 and 702's. There are so many similar headphones within the same category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back