I need your help to get rid of a ground loop
Jan 20, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #31 of 38
I have a large 1.92KVA Powerware UPS. Damn thing has nasty tranformer buzzing. The batteries are failing and it's pretty old. I will be replacing it eventually.

I wonder how quiet the transformers are in that Online Powerware UPS. The fan usually doesn't come on in Line Interactive UPS's unless it is running on battery power. I guess the conversion process generates a lot of heat.

Yikes. The last thing I want to do is add more fan noise. I guess Online UPS is not for me, then. Until someone makes a silent Online UPS. (Not likely.)

-Ed

Jan 21, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
I have a large 1.92KVA Powerware UPS. Damn thing has nasty tranformer buzzing. The batteries are failing and it's pretty old. I will be replacing it eventually.

I wonder how quiet the transformers are in that Online Powerware UPS. The fan usually doesn't come on in Line Interactive UPS's unless it is running on battery power. I guess the conversion process generates a lot of heat.

Yikes. The last thing I want to do is add more fan noise. I guess Online UPS is not for me, then. Until someone makes a silent Online UPS. (Not likely.)

-Ed

My Belkin is line interactive and it's very quiet.

Jan 21, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 38
Yeah, every UPS except that Powerware is nice and quiet. Well, at least when they are on standby.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 21, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #35 of 38
I don't have ground loop problems right now, and my cable TV goes through my Monster Cable HT700 before it reaches my TV. Now, not sure if the HT700 protection circuit for the cable is ground loop prone or not. So just out of curiousity, I wanted to try the easy fix explained in the first link sent by Snake, with the two inexpensive transformers connected, and just see if the image deterioration was noticeable.

So went to Radio Shack, the total cost was less than $10, connected it, and I can say that pair in the path of my cable TV don't cause any perceptible deterioration in the images, at least not on my 27" flat Wega TV. In a huge projection TV or something like that it might be different, but it works transparently in my system. Probably overkill because of the HT700, but anyway I left it connected since it doesn't hurt and represents extra protection. Thanks for the links and tips!

Cheers,
Raul

Jan 22, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #36 of 38
I don't have cable TV. And my TV and Home Theater are on a different line.

My headphone gear is on the same line as four computers, a laser fax/copy/printer machine, and some lights. Not to mention whatever people were running upstairs. But no one lives above now. No one else is on the line now.

-Ed

Jan 26, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #37 of 38
Should rectify my previous impression. I am right now working on my computer while watching the intro to the Globe awards. Just removed the two transformers little trick to test any difference, the image is better, better contrast, a little grainyness seems to have been removed when having the cable directly from the wall to my HT700 instead of through the transformers.

Interestingly I didn't notice any degradation right after introducing the transformers in the cable path, but now I can see they introduce degradation, not too bad, but it's there. Maybe the hour of the day has an effect on the amount of RFI now? Not sure, but without this trick at least now the image looks a bit better. No wonder people suggest to evaluate the effect of any audio/video tweak not right after installing it (unless the difference is obvious), but after a few days of having it installed, then removing it, and see if something is missing, or on the contrary something improved.

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #38 of 38
OK, I'm trying the extreme solution. I built a small computer from the ground up. Very low power usage. It uses about 30 watts.

The computer is now powered by my PS AUdio P300.

Well, all went well until I installed the RME PAD incorrectly. (I installed it throught the plug and play "found new hardware", NEVER do that!!)

So all I get is STOP errors when I try to boot up. So this Win2K install is toast. I'm reinstalling Win2K as I type this.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back