I need to buy 2 pairs of earbuds for under 35 bucks?
Mar 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RevinNerd

New Head-Fier
Head-fi has never let me down before, and I'm in a little bit of a pickle here.

For earbuds I've been using skullcandy titans I got at Marshalls for $12 (normally $40), but recently one of the earbuds literally snapped in half while in my pocket and I've just been just using them with bright blue tape holding them togethor.

The earbud that snapped can randomly become quieter than the other one, which is extremely distracting. Plus, the tape is embarresing to use at school, and the headphones are overall average, even when in full working order.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy some cheap IEMs and possibly another pair of regular earbuds for school (not ugly ones) to go along with them for a total of 35 bucks. I'm not expecting the best, and I dont want to spend a ton because I'm buying $300 over ears by the end of the year.

For IEMs I've been looking at these:

MeElectronics M6:
www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-CL-MEE-Noise-Isolating-Headphones-Memory/dp/B0038W0K2U/

Monoprice 8320:
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108320-Enhanced-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B007VEQ2UU

And for earbuds I'm kind of lost. I've owned countless in the past, from kickers to JVCs to philips to sonys. None were amazing, many were terrible. I have seen SoundMagic being reccomended in a couple threads but I'm somewhat unsure about them so far.

My musical taste is as follows:

Electronic (Monstercat, Calvin Harris, Rogue, Animanaguchi, Daft Punk, Nero, Feed Me, KDrew)
Rock/Pop (Alex Goot, The fray, Chris Clouse, Stroke 9, Walk off the Earth, Mat Kearney, Micheal Jackson, Alex Day)
Soul (Alex Clare, Adele)
I sometimes listen to accapella as well, and I enjoy everything Andi Slavik does.

I'm not a bass head, but a solid bass should be present, at least as much as the 8mm drivers in the titans. I noticed that the monoprices have 14.2mm drivers, which would be more than enough.

At least a teensy weensy bit of attractiveness would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone can find an IEM that is somewhat high school acceptable than I don't think I would need a second pair.

I'm begging you guys for help because there really aren't many guides for this price range.
Thank you so much for any replies you can give.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 10
Philips SHE3580 - read up on them here in the threads... Chea, cheap, cheap - and they sound great.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
typo? these seem to fall under the 50-85 dollar range.

You can get the Sony's for around $30 if you shop around I think - but that doesn't get you two pair of IEM's.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 10
nevermind, I think the M6's in white would be suitable for school. I'm gonna just buy both, and hopefully find some better tips off a broken pair of earbuds for the monoprices.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Head-fi has never let me down before, and I'm in a little bit of a pickle here.
For earbuds I've been using skullcandy titans I got at Marshalls for $12 (normally $40), but recently one of the earbuds literally snapped in half while in my pocket and I've just been just using them with bright blue tape holding them togethor.

The earbud that snapped can randomly become quieter than the other one, which is extremely distracting. Plus, the tape is embarresing to use at school, and the headphones are overall average, even when in full working order.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy some cheap IEMs and possibly another pair of regular earbuds for school (not ugly ones) to go along with them for a total of 35 bucks. I'm not expecting the best, and I dont want to spend a ton because I'm buying $300 over ears by the end of the year.

For IEMs I've been looking at these:

MeElectronics M6:
www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-M6-CL-MEE-Noise-Isolating-Headphones-Memory/dp/B0038W0K2U/
ir

Monoprice 8320:
http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108320-Enhanced-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B007VEQ2UU
ir

And for earbuds I'm kind of lost. I've owned countless in the past, from kickers to JVCs to philips to sonys. None were amazing, many were terrible. I have seen SoundMagic being reccomended in a couple threads but I'm somewhat unsure about them so far.

My musical taste is as follows:

Electronic (Monstercat, Calvin Harris, Rogue, Animanaguchi, Daft Punk, Nero, Feed Me, KDrew)
Rock/Pop (Alex Goot, The fray, Chris Clouse, Stroke 9, Walk off the Earth, Mat Kearney, Micheal Jackson, Alex Day)
Soul (Alex Clare, Adele)
I sometimes listen to accapella as well, and I enjoy everything Andi Slavik does.

I'm not a bass head, but a solid bass should be present, at least as much as the 8mm drivers in the titans. I noticed that the monoprices have 14.2mm drivers, which would be more than enough.

At least a teensy weensy bit of attractiveness would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone can find an IEM that is somewhat high school acceptable than I don't think I would need a second pair.

I'm begging you guys for help because there really aren't many guides for this price range.
Thank you so much for any replies you can give.

How about sennheiser CX400II I used them for a long time, mars one sound quality, perfect noise cancellation. They cost around $40

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 10
I ordered both the M6s in white and the Monoprices in white. They seem to be the 2 top rated earbuds around for this price range, and I need them soon. So it made sense just to buy them.

Any good threads on modding the monoprices cable or anything? They're looking pretty bland in the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back