I need the best closed headphones I can get under $200.
Sep 2, 2006 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

matsonjb

New Head-Fier
Right now I am back to school and I have a real annoying roomate. I would like to get a set of headphones that are big and closed that are good for trance and metal. They will be running off my Yamaha Natural Sound reciever or plugged into my Creative 2ZS Platinum pro. I have been looking at the Sen-580s and the AudioTechnicas but I can not really decypher what are the best ones. I have a big head if that counts.TIA
-Jared

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 19
the 580s are open so you won't get the isolation you are looking for. If this roommate is really annoying wouldn't IEMs be better for you they have the most isolation. A lot of people like the closed AKGs around your price point, I recommend looking at those too.

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by matsonjb
Right now I am back to school and I have a real annoying roomate. I would like to get a set of headphones that are big and closed that are good for trance and metal. They will be running off my Yamaha Natural Sound reciever or plugged into my Creative 2ZS Platinum pro. I have been looking at the Sen-580s and the AudioTechnicas but I can not really decypher what are the best ones. I have a big head if that counts.TIA
-Jared

wouldn't duck tape be a cheaper alternative..
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 19
I cannot really do that here (Naval Academy), but I am looking for something that are not IEMs as I hate them for the reason that whenever I wear them they get uncomfortable after a long time. Time wise I am looking for about 6-8 hours a day wearing my headphones.

I will look into the AKG. What models do you recommend?

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 19
Sennheiser HD25-1 $165 at newegg
Beyerdynamic DT770 $158 at i-Net Distributors
K271s are really around $200 and higher at most places.

Sep 2, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 19
Find a Guitar Center near you and pick up a DT-770 Pro/80. If you like trance, you'll appreciate the huge bass. They're closed, extremely durable, and very very comfortable. They cost $200, but if you bring in a printout of the i-Net page, you might be able to get them to price match.

Sep 2, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 19
Last I looked early this A.M. there were two pairs of AKG k271 still listed in the Headphones Sale Forum - worth a look.
It should also be mentioned that while AKG k240S are listed as semi-open - a roomate is no more likely to hear music seeping out of them than he will from "closed" 'phones.
.........furthermore, it should be mentioned that the Audio Technica is a rather large headphone - not good if you want to listen while in the bunk.

Sep 2, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 19
The AKG 271 don't really shine without an amp, so if you're set on $200 I'd go for the A900s. The W1000/amp will be better sound quality than either, but your source is a joke and not at all up to par with this kind of system downstream. Don't make that investment unless you're prepared to go whole-hog and get a nice CDP or turntable.

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
The AKG 271 don't really shine without an amp, so if you're set on $200 I'd go for the A900s. The W1000/amp will be better sound quality than either, but your source is a joke and not at all up to par with this kind of system downstream. Don't make that investment unless you're prepared to go whole-hog and get a nice CDP or turntable.

What do you mean by this? Most of my MP3s are 192kpbs I didnt know about lossless until looking on here. I think I will aim with the A900 and as I start a collection again(previous selection of CDs were stolen) I will upgrade.
-Jared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back