I need some suggestions on an Amp.
Oct 15, 2002 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Andrew LB

100+ Head-Fier
Im really new to this so bear with me. I just purchased my first pair of quality headphones. They are Sennheiser HD580s and they are without a doubt the best sounding headphones ive ever used. And from what ive been reading, they should sound much better after 40 hours or so of use.
biggrin.gif

Currently im having to turn the volume up on either my PC or Harman Kardon AVR 320 receiver to get decent volumes. So i guess to solve this I gotta get myself an amplifier. From the Headphone forum, ive so far been told to look into Meta amplifier as well as a few ones made by HeadRoom, etc. I really dont want to spend too much money though. Ive noticed that most of the less expensive ones are all battery operated, but im not sure if that would suit me since i'm not using these with a portable or anything.

So my question would be, what inexpensive amps do you guys suggest? Would i be better suited going the DIY method? Also, can you guys show me pictures of your amps or links to additional info?

Thank you.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 23
What would that amp run me if either someone built it for me or if I built it myself? Or had a friend do it?

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 23
The least costly way to do it is to get a CHA47 built by JMT. You can have it made so that you can power it with a walwart from radio shack.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 23
What's your threshold of pain $$$$$.

This will establish some boundries.

If you can narrow down your focus you can hang out in the For Sale section and maybe get a good deal.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 23
I got my shipment of the special META Kool-Aid. I, too, now see the value of the META. META META META META META META.

See, I can be "reasonable".

Mark

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 23
I'm looking at spending in the range of less than $200. Preferably around $100. Knowing the way i get into hobbies, ill probably end up going nuts and blowing a ton of cash in the near future once i realize how much an Amp will help these headphones.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 23
Andrew,
Please accept my apologies for being a d*ck in your quite legitimate thread. Please ignore everything I've said or may say.

Mark

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Andrew,
Please accept my apologies for being a d*ck in your quite legitimate thread. Please ignore everything I've said or may say.

Well.. im not going to ignore your apparent love for the Meta. What would such an amp roughly go for?

Quote:

You also might want to consider a Cmoy as well.

Any additional information on this amp? Pics, links, costs?

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 23
META42 is just a circuit design for an amp. Actual configurations vary considerably in implementation. You're probably looking at the mid-$100 range for starters. Send a PM to JMT or tangent, the two guys who build them here, for specifics. (tangent also sells the boards separately if you want to build it yourself.)

JMT will also build you a CHA47 or CMoy -- again, just a circuit design and can vary in sonics and cost. Ask him for details. Or visit tangent's website for a nice tutorial on how to build your own CMoy.

Other inexpensive options include Fixup's tiny portable amps based on the META42 design, which can be had for $75-80. Unfortunately, due to a recent spat, Fixup is no longer an active Head-Fi member. But you can find details about his amps at his website.

There are also commercial amps in the under-$200 range: the HeadRoom Total Airhead, the Creek OBH-11, the Porta Corda. Probably some others. Do a search and you'll find lots of info.

kerely

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 23
I don't have a picture (no digital camera), but it'll run you probably no more than $100.
It has a very articulatre sound, tight bass, accentuated highs, and a slightly fast sound. From what I've read it's a relatively simple amp. But like I said, I have a Meta (which could run you anywhere from $150 to $250 I guess) which I absolutely love with my Ety's, but I still love my cmoy.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

META42 is just a circuit design for an amp. Actual configurations vary considerably in implementation. You're probably looking at the mid-$100 range for starters. Send a PM to JMT or tangent, the two guys who build them here, for specifics. (tangent also sells the boards separately if you want to build it yourself.)

JMT will also build you a CHA47 or CMoy -- again, just a circuit design and can vary in sonics and cost. Ask him for details. Or visit tangent's website for a nice tutorial on how to build your own CMoy.

Other inexpensive options include Fixup's tiny portable amps based on the META42 design, which can be had for $75-80. Unfortunately, due to a recent spat, Fixup is no longer an active Head-Fi member. But you can find details about his amps at his website.

There are also commercial amps in the under-$200 range: the HeadRoom Total Airhead, the Creek OBH-11, the Porta Corda. Probably some others. Do a search and you'll find lots of info.

Awesome info! Now do all these amps run on batteries or are some AC adaptable? Or can they be made that way? I wont be traveling with whatever amp i buy and is strictly for home use. If worst comes to worst, i can always buy a set of rechargeable batteries...

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 23
If you CAN DIY, absolutely you SHOULD DIY. DIY owns the lower end amps as far as I'm concerned.

You should be able to build a META42 with decent parts for $200. Visit http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/ for awesome info on that. The only downside is that if you do it yourself, no one is really selling a kit yet (and someone should *ahem*JMT maybe*ahem*). So, you'll have to get the parts list from his site and order from the various places. Quite a few people here have done it and can help you in the DIY forum when you get stuck. If it looks like too much for you, JMT is the builder who isn't currently backlogged but it might cross your $200 barrier if you used the best quality parts. He can help you figure that out--send him a PM if you're interested in that. The META can be built either as a battery-op amp or a wallwart powered amp.

If you decide to increase your budget, Jan Meier (www.meier-audio.com) and www.HeadAmp.com (antness) both sell kits (complete boards, parts and instructions) of their headphone amps also. I forget the exact prices but both are over $200. The first one (Corda HA-1), I have and think a lot of. The second is an all-discrete design by a well respected designed named Kevin Gilmore but I haven't gotten to hear one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back