I need some serious help picking a new work IEM
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

eelnwahs

Head-Fier
So after a year of enjoying the wonderful sound of the DUNU DN-2000 which were nothing short of amazing sounding (only downside is they have slight comfort issues after wearing them for awhile), I no longer have them due to circumstances out of my control.

Now I am looking to find a replacement with a budget around 100 USD. I ordered the vsonic gr07 but I ended up sending them back for a number of reasons, the bass seemed a little bit too lean, the highs were very harsh and cold, and the sound seemed extremely lean with little color and far away.

Now you know I love a spacious and airy soundstage from your upgrade path you set for me going from the quadbeat, to the kc06 and then finally the dn-2000. One of the best things about the kc06 and the dn-2000 was the wonderfully extended and sparkly treble but it seemed so refined and non fatiguing as well as having just enough bass not to bloat the headphone but to give it some life. Also even though the dn-2000 had slightly recessed mids it was still wonderful sounding and the detail, imaging, spacious soundstage, and coloring of it made music come to life.

To end this I'm guessing that nothing around this budget will touch those levels but I felt the need to ask to see what my options are around my budget and I'm also willing to go a little higher if it's worth it. I would also like isolation and minimal sound leakage similar to the DUNU as I use this at work.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #2 of 20
For around $100 I like the 1More triple driver, good overall sound. Takes a few days to get used to but has an enjoyable sound. The isolation isn't spectacular though as it's meant to be worn straight down and the housings are bigger. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 20
For around $100 I like the 1More triple driver, good overall sound. Takes a few days to get used to but has an enjoyable sound. The isolation isn't spectacular though as it's meant to be worn straight down and the housings are bigger. 

I've heard that the 1more is decent but the isolation is sub par at best. Is there any sort of similar sound with even remotely similar sound signature? How are the RHA MA750?

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 20
The MA750 are good. Decent isolation. There is also the Shure SE215, which probably has the best isolation of any of these that have been mentioned. One more is the Havi B3 Pro 1--pretty solid isolation. Also, there is a Bass Edition of the GR07. Maybe that would have been better for you than the Standard was.  ---)

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 20
The MA750 are good. Decent isolation. There is also the Shure SE215, which probably has the best isolation of any of these that have been mentioned. One more is the Havi B3 Pro 1--pretty solid isolation. Also, there is a Bass Edition of the GR07. Maybe that would have been better for you than the Standard was.  ---)

Awhile back I actually ordered the Shure Se215 but I sent them back after a few days to the extremely rolled off treble. The music just didn't have any excitement to them as I enjoy the detail and energy found in the mids and highs and it seemed too muddy and congested. Does the RHA ma750 have severe rolled off treble like the shures? I know it's not as bright as the IEMs I've used in the past but I find it boring to lose all the detail up top.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 20
Awhile back I actually ordered the Shure Se215 but I sent them back after a few days to the extremely rolled off treble. The music just didn't have any excitement to them as I enjoy the detail and energy found in the mids and highs and it seemed too muddy and congested. Does the RHA ma750 have severe rolled off treble like the shures? I know it's not as bright as the IEMs I've used in the past but I find it boring to lose all the detail up top.

The MA750 has about a 10 db u-shaped drop starting at around 12kz and extending up to around 20k. Have you thought about the Titan 5 ($131.98 + free shipping on amazon)?

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 20
The MA750 has about a 10 db u-shaped drop starting at around 12kz and extending up to around 20k. Have you thought about the Titan 5 ($131.98 + free shipping on amazon)?

I have not thought about the titan mainly due to the isolation issue again. I had the titan 1 awhile back and while it sounded great, I had to send it back due to sound leaking. It's very hard for me because the IEM I buy are used 99% at work in an open office floor plan so I have to have semi decent isolation and minimal to no sound leakage. I know the dunu dn-2000 isn't anywhere close to the level of the shure's on isolation but it was a sweet spot where it did a good enough job and had practically zero sound leaking out if I listen a tiny bit louder. I have heard a lot of great things about the 1more e1001 but people have stated it does leak sound which would suck. Honestly I'm at a complete loss because a lot of the best isolating IEM are the complete opposite of my preferred sound signature.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 20
I have not thought about the titan mainly due to the isolation issue again. I had the titan 1 awhile back and while it sounded great, I had to send it back due to sound leaking. It's very hard for me because the IEM I buy are used 99% at work in an open office floor plan so I have to have semi decent isolation and minimal to no sound leakage. I know the dunu dn-2000 isn't anywhere close to the level of the shure's on isolation but it was a sweet spot where it did a good enough job and had practically zero sound leaking out if I listen a tiny bit louder. I have heard a lot of great things about the 1more e1001 but people have stated it does leak sound which would suck. Honestly I'm at a complete loss because a lot of the best isolating IEM are the complete opposite of my preferred sound signature.

I hear you. I suppose you could always get the 1More and then add some Comply tips. That would help with isolation. It's a thought. Or, maybe you just need to buy yourself a DN-2000 again (?).Just save and get them. You know they will make you happy. --)

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 20
I hear you. I suppose you could always get the 1More and then add some Comply tips. That would help with isolation. It's a thought. Or, maybe you just need to buy yourself a DN-2000 again (?).Just save and get them. You know they will make you happy. --)

Haha that is an idea. In your opinion would the rha ma750 be a compromise for between isolation and sound quality? It seems to have more of a high end then the shures

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 20
Haha that is an idea. In your opinion would the rha ma750 be a compromise for between isolation and sound quality? It seems to have more of a high end then the shures

Yes, I do. And the highs are not even close to as rolled off as they are with the SE215. The frequency response curve for the SE215 is like a cliff at around 5 kz or so. The MA750 is much less rolled off. The 750 is a very nice IEM, IMHO. Good isolation. Fairly comfortable. It's a good one.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 20
Yes, I do. And the highs are not even close to as rolled off as they are with the SE215. The frequency response curve for the SE215 is like a cliff at around 5 kz or so. The MA750 is much less rolled off. The 750 is a very nice IEM, IMHO. Good isolation. Fairly comfortable. It's a good one.

That is good to know, the ma750 is very enticing due to the build quality being a tank. Is there any reason to buy the 750i? I don't know if it will work with my iPhone.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 20
That is good to know, the ma750 is very enticing due to the build quality being a tank. Is there any reason to buy the 750i? I don't know if it will work with my iPhone.

I believe the i version controls only work with Apple products. It doesn't seem to work with Android devices. At least, that's how it used to be. Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure that is correct.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 20
You won't like the 1More TDs if you want sparkly treble. the 1More's were far too buttery smooth sounding for me and I'm far from a treble head. They aren't close to the Dunu DN 2000 in terms of sound. Too relaxed.

It's been ages since I had the DN 2000 and the M750 so it's difficult for me too compare. I got rid of the M750 for it's big brother the T20. M750 is beautifully built and had a very wide open sound, but very V shaped. It has a different sound to the Dn2000 which i liked but thought was over priced so i opted for the Dn 1000 instead. That's def a sparkly set, but it's just as big as the dn2000 housing and lacks the colour you liked about the dn 2000.

Havi B pro 3 is wonderfully balanced but needs juice to sound at it's best. Fit wise i used the custom tips that came with it, but the drawback is they weren't 100% secure in my ear and slipped out. i do like foams with them though.

All in all, I'd probably recommend the M750. It won't match the DN 2000 technically, but it's a third the price!!! Still, it's solid build, aesthetics, isolation and overall sound is great. The RHA customer service is excellent.

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 20
You won't like the 1More TDs if you want sparkly treble. the 1More's were far too buttery smooth sounding for me and I'm far from a treble head. They aren't close to the Dunu DN 2000 in terms of sound. Too relaxed.

It's been ages since I had the DN 2000 and the M750 so it's difficult for me too compare. I got rid of the M750 for it's big brother the T20. M750 is beautifully built and had a very wide open sound, but very V shaped. It has a different sound to the Dn2000 which i liked but thought was over priced so i opted for the Dn 1000 instead. That's def a sparkly set, but it's just as big as the dn2000 housing and lacks the colour you liked about the dn 2000.

Havi B pro 3 is wonderfully balanced but needs juice to sound at it's best. Fit wise i used the custom tips that came with it, but the drawback is they weren't 100% secure in my ear and slipped out. i do like foams with them though.

All in all, I'd probably recommend the M750. It won't match the DN 2000 technically, but it's a third the price!!! Still, it's solid build, aesthetics, isolation and overall sound is great. The RHA customer service is excellent.

Does the ma750 have decent treble extension?

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 20
I forgot about the Trinity Audio Deltas... I think you'd get them free delivery for around $100. they have filter system with 7 different filters that adjust things like bass amount, treble, etc. Wonderful fit, great isolation and very well built. V shaped, with plenty sparkle up top. i think you'd like them. They are made by some Head Fi'ers who make high end sound at cheaper prices for everyone to enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back