I need some insanity....
Apr 25, 2002 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Alright, me and my friend were chatting about fear factory and how their last effort wussied out with some rap nonsense on it (among other things). I'm in the mood lately for some heavy metal tunes.

I'm getting a little sick and tired of having to refer to Linkin Park as my favorite metal band due to the fact that so many established acts have fallen out of sight, or simply stink.

I'm basically looking for something that can make me drive a car off a cliff or a bridge, howling vocals with insanity breaking loose instrumentally. You can use Fear Factory's "Soul of a new Machine" and Ministry's "Psalm 69" as reference points. I love samples by the way!

Any suggestions?

Apr 25, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #5 of 73
if you love horror movie samples, then Mortician should be right up your alley.

definitely one of those love-hate bands - drum machine, super looooow-end vocals and VERY repetitive. they're pretty much a one-trick pony, but i personally don't think they suck as much as many people think. then again, i have bad taste, so keep your fingers crossed.
biggrin.gif

if you want super-crazy stuff, maybe some grind is what you need. 625 Thrashcore (www.625thrash.com) has a couple of comps with some mad crack-smoking bands!

Apr 25, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 73
Vision of Disorder - Imprint
Vision of Disorder - For the Bleeders
Vision of Disorder - self title
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come

good metal/hardcore...few samples however.

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 73
oh my god, jaghouse is so right about those vod and refused... since were talking about hardcore may i also suggest zao: latest album, anything by hope conspiracy, converge, coalesce, dillinger escape plan, candiria, anything by cave in except for the new album. as for samples and industrial i have 3 words for you: einsturzende neubauten, by far the best industrial band ever (get the early albums for the real heavy stuff). oh and dont forget sepultura, swans and godflesh

Apr 25, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #8 of 73
the toxicity, of our city, of our ci-ty..................

In that unusual Armenian accent - System Of A Down, seconded!

Apr 25, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 73
ohh, thanks for the recommendations, i have system of a down, so thats taken care of
biggrin.gif

Jaghouse's recommendations are first in my list
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 73
Agoraphobic Nosebleed.

Insane 20-second blasts of grindcore death. I'm pretty sure it's just 2 guys and a drum machine.

Some other grindcore that I like, but you will probably have trouble finding:

Drop Dead
Creation is Crucifixion

You may also wish to try Acid Bath, their stuff was awesome. I remember one song even had Clockwork Orange samples.

Also, if you want to try Refused and VOD, get their older stuff on the independent labels. Should be able to pick them up at most metal shops, or at least order them in.

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

anything by cave in except for the new album. [/B]

Interesting, I was wondering if you didn't like Jupiter or if you felt it wasn't fitting with the other more noisy stuff like the other bands you mentioned..

Personally, I think it's an amazing album... definately one of the best of 2000.. can't wait to hear what they do next..

oh, and as far as noisy reccomendations, might I suggest an older album by Stompbox called STRESS .. some damn fine heavy riffage and heavy singing.. you should be able to find it around for a few bucks if you keep your eyes open for it.. it's worth it.

Other good ones:

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
Buzzoven - Sore
EyeHateGod - Dopesick
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration

-jar

Apr 26, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 73
Obvious reference points would be Fear Factory's Fear is the Mindkiller (EP), which I consider to be their best disc, and Ministry's first two albums (sic), The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste and Land of Rape and Honey, and of course, the live album, In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up (Live)...I already mentioned Gravity Kills, but that may not be hard enough for you...although you may still enjoy it in your lightest moments. Will post others if I think of any...you may want to check out our "...Darkest Desires..." thread, too.

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 73
Soilwork
Down
Pantera
Kyuss
Monster Magnet
Dimmu Borgir
Disturbed
Drowning Pool
Black Sabbath
Mudvayne
Sepultura
Soulfly

Try them for starters if you want more give us a yell.

Edit: Jaghouse: Noticed your avatar. Saw the Melvins live the other night. Wasnt that impressed with them to tell you the truth.

Apr 26, 2002 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 73
Nobody mentioned Godsmack. Do they not fit in here? I don't really know since I listen to Motley Crue, Poison, and AC/DC and now I am going to get Godsmack. I just heard them the other day.
I have not heard the groups mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back