I need some input.
May 13, 2002 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
I have been looking at upgrading my crappy source. Here are my options that I have decided on. The Cary CD303, The Pioneer Elite DV-47A, and the Acram CD 92. I thought I might want to kill two birds with one stone and get the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. One advantage is that is plays all formats, but one disadavantage, at least this is what I'm told by the store salesperson anyway, is that the Poineer compromises sound quality because there is to much in it. In others words it does everything good, but not great. He said if sound is what I wanted, a dedicated cd player would be better. I auditioned the Cary and was VERY impressed! However, it cannot play SACD or DVD-A. I do not own any SACDs but I find it hard to beleive that SACD could sound that much better than redbook cds out of the Cary. The 3rd option is the Acram CD 92. This is a nice player. The advantage here is that I could save some money and get other stuff. The disadvantage is that it does not sound as good as the Cary. I would not mind if some one could twist my arm one way or another with good reasons why. One more thing, What does HDCD stand for? Thanks in advance for any replies.

May 13, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 9
May 13, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 9
The Cary CD-303/200 is by far (to extreme lengths) the best sounding cdp I have ever heard. It sounds phenominal, so why hesitate? Think carefully before you jump on the wagon, you might get fooled.

May 13, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 9
"Think carefully before you jump on the wagon, you might get fooled".

What do you mean by this? I mean, you told me I should not hesitate to get the Cary, then you finish with a statement to be careful. Help me out here.

May 13, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi guys,
Here's how I recently approached the very same "problem" of DVD-A vs. SACD. I wanted both of them and I wanted them now. However, I'm very picky about components and have built a very good system over time that will shame a lousy source for both movies and/or music. I also have a very very nice home theater rig, and a compromised DVD player would not do.

After lots of research, I decided that for the next 3-4 years or so, it will take several generations of the all-in-one boxes to equal the performance of two better quality ($1000-$2000) separate DVD and CD/SACD systems today. That Pioneer is only the first such player priced for the real world.

I decided that upgrading to DVD-Audio gave me the chance to also get a better DVD-Video player. So I bought one that I like A LOT, and believe it or not, it's a (*gasp*) Kenwood! Yes Kenwood, the Canadian Daewoo.

Wait, wait-- don't go away!! Why the Kenwood DV-5700? It's the first to feature a video section built to Faroudja specs (hi-end projector company). The audio mags have said picture quality of DV-5700 is as good as many more expensive Faroudja stand alone products.

Also, Kenwood is the only DVD-Audio player maker who has at least *attempted* to take advantage of the lower noise floor required for full-range DVD-Audio playback. It's no champion but it measures 8-9 db lower noise floor than the rest.

So on my Kenwood I listen to DVD-Audios and watch DVD-Video discs.

For my CD and SACD listening I went with Sony's better ES series changer the 333ES (you can now buy the SCD-555ES for $549 from Oade, originally $1600). I had my 333ES modified by Modwright with spectacular results. The best thing about the Sony SACD changers is that there are many outfits out there who will "tweak" them. Of course you void your Sony warranty.

OK long story shgort, if you want a satisfying DVD-Audio and or SACD performance today, I believe you need separate boxes.

*Whew* Hope that helps.

markl

May 14, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I meant not to get suckered into the new formats (DVD-A and SACD), hehe.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to actually enjoy the better sound they provide over standard Redbook -- that would lead to spending more money on CDs
wink.gif

May 14, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
There's **** for SACD titles that I would want

So you're saying that SACD might not be the best format for you. Got it.

Quote:

and no I don't want some Sony player. I heard redbook of 333ES and wasn't impressed.

Compared to what? A $1500 redbook-only player? Probably. But for the price, I haven't heard a redbook player that can match it. And if you like the stuff being released on SACD, the sound quality is incredible
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back