I need some help with a name for an amplifier
May 11, 2015 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

barryt

Member of the Trade: Austin Audio Works
Hi, over the last year I brought into existence a remarkable headphone amplifier,  According to auditions it gives Eargasms. I agree, that was the idea of the design and philosophy.

I named the amplifier based on technology and version number.  The names for the three prototype versions were CCT1, CCT2, and CCT3, which I took to the Dallas hookup last year. CCT stood for Current Carrier Technology, a way of operating in the current mode to get gain and linearity with out feedback.

I built a pre-production unit and called it Sounami-hp (hp is for headphone, I have a prototype 100 watt version that would be Sounami-sp for speaker).  

A very good friend of mine (a most remarkable cable designer) told me the name sucked.

OK, I'm too close to all this.

I also am finishing a special phono pre-amplifier that I call the "Vinyl Lens".  This is because of the resolution resulting from being about 12 dB quieter than conventional preamps.  Not a bad name, Vinyl Lens eh?

But I am stumped on the amp.  In one conversation we joked about naming it after my shop cat and old friend, that is Fred, seen here sleeping on the power supply, the lower chassis in the amp photo on the right, we are designing a new chassis now.

So I ask you, what would you call an amplifier that give 'Eargasms', is technically all about no feedback and current mode operation, extrema bandwidth, true balanced operation?  Engage me with your ideas and I will engage you to learn more and make it a fair exchange for you.

Thank you, Barry Thornton  

May 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Fred seems nice option :D , for me stuff like "Bliss" "eargasms" etc. sound cheap, some alphanumerical combination is boring, imho it should be something easy to remember and simple. Ilike naming from schiit  or alpha dogs, mad dogs(a theme), something a bit unexpected that allows to remember the name better

May 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 11
Fred seems nice option :D , for me stuff like "Bliss" "eargasms" etc. sound cheap, some alphanumerical combination is boring, imho it should be something easy to remember and simple. Ilike naming from schiit  or alpha dogs, mad dogs(a theme), something a bit unexpected that allows to remember the name better

What is your suggestion for the product's name?

May 12, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 11
Um, you let your cat sleep on an open power supply?! Powered on or not, nothing good could possibly come from that....

Anyway if MrSpeakers can get away with calling a headphone "Mad Dog", then surely you can get away with calling an amp "Mad Cat"!
tongue.gif
And btw I'm actually semi-serious, since I'm sure you're likely to get some jokes in this thread....

May 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 11
Call it the Minimalist because of the lack of feedback and the low noise floor

May 12, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 11
I am most impressed with your comments, you are giving me much to consider as I learn more about this naming thing.  

In the intense world of Marketing it is all about Branding and you get into the deep arguments and considerations about how people see Symbols for Brands, which is what a name is.  There are strong intellectually compelling reasons for certain symbols - but we are talking audio, which lives in a world of passion.  Intellect is not driving this odyssey, it is only along for the ride.

A symbol, one that says a word in your mind, I think has two definitions.  The first is the second you hear or see it, that it is when it is first pronounced in your mind in context, which is when you have your most emotional reactions to it.  

A few seconds later it is just a symbol for an new idea you are learning, a word that is something real and can influence you life.

I am learning.

Fred gets into moods where in his EMO tank is running low, so he demands a refill, he is a cat.  For many of you this is manifested by your cat walking over and sitting or laying down between you and your keyboard.  The intensity of your will at that moment creates energy as the angular momentum of your mind changes direction.  This creates synchrontronic radiation in the form of Virtual EMO units, which the cat absorbs until full. 

The minimalist thread is interesting, its theme shows a light in the direction of the Vinyl Lens, a direction for consideration.

Thank you, keep your thoughts coming, we all learn.

Regards, Barry

May 13, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 11
For consideration:
Dat Amp! (that's often what I would say to myself when listening to it...)
Acoustic Lens
Holo Lens
Crystal Fire
Illusionist
Illuminamp
Oasis
Image Scope
Enchantamp
Champ
Prism
How about dinosaur names?  Amygdalodon, Pentaceratops, Sinvenator
Philosopher names?  Plato, Descartes, Kant
Synesthesia

May 13, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #11 of 11
I think the main question is whether or not you'll be designing additional amps/general audio equipment (and sound like you are). If so, having a theme is nice to tie everything together. I'm a big fan of Schiit's Norse naming scheme, and of mythology naming in general. Here are some theme ideas:

-Musicians
-Fictional TV Towns (Mayberry)
-Famous Ships (avoid Titanic!)
-Natural Landmarks (Mount Raineer, Everest)
-Animals (Birds, large cats, fish?)

Obviously you want to avoid anything that a big name is already doing to avoid plagarism, but finding a set of names you like would give you options for this amp AND future projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back