I need recommendation for gaming headset vs going headphones and mic combo
Mar 18, 2022 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MJoe

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and I was looking for a recommendation as the title states above. I am very oblivious when it comes to audio and my knowledge is minimal.

I currently own a HD558 and I paired it with an antlion mic that is going through Creative Sound Blaster Z SE PCIe Sound Card. I mainly play FPS games which means I would like to have a sense of direction when it comes to sound and also I occasionally listen to music such as RnB, HipHop, Rap and EDM.

I am from Australia so the prices I listed are in Australian dollars.

Here is a list of headset/headphones that I am currently looking at:
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro $210
- Beyerdynamic MMX300 $349 (RRP$ 449) One of the stores is having a bundled discount which is $349 for the headset plus mouse and mousepad.
- Beyerdynamic Tygr 300r bundle $399

I have heard that the Audeze Mobius are great out of the box but they are way too expensive at $699.

At this point it is more of a I want to get a new pair of headphones rather than I need to because there is no problem with my current HD558. It is just that I was browsing and came across the MMX300 bundles.

Please let me know your thoughts and any other recommendations are appreciated.

Mar 18, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 10
Beyers are a great choice for gaming, from your list the 990 is good for both gaming and music.

If you want to spend less and just have something that sounds very different than the Senn, the Philips SHP9500 with mod or vmoda mic is also good for both.

Some folks recommend certain AKGs or Audio Technicas but I don't have much experience with them.

And last, if you don't want to add a mic, the Sennheiser PC38X.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 10
Beyers are a great choice for gaming, from your list the 990 is good for both gaming and music.

If you want to spend less and just have something that sounds very different than the Senn, the Philips SHP9500 with mod or vmoda mic is also good for both.

Some folks recommend certain AKGs or Audio Technicas but I don't have much experience with them.

And last, if you don't want to add a mic, the Sennheiser PC38X.
Thanks for the feedback. Had you had any experience with the other 2 Beyers that I have mentioned ? I have read a couple of reviews but based on what I have experienced headphones are always the better way to go when compared to headset. Then again this was like 5 years ago when the high end audio brands have yet to enter the gaming/headset market.

I just don't know if headsets are still a gimmick or headphones/mic combo is still the best way to go.

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 10
Mar 18, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 10
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 10
With the 990 pro 250ohm will my current DAC be enough to power them ?
I believe the SE is supposed to handle up to 600 ohms, but I have no personal experience with it as I'm on laptops.

Mar 19, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, and I was looking for a recommendation as the title states above. I am very oblivious when it comes to audio and my knowledge is minimal.

I currently own a HD558 and I paired it with an antlion mic that is going through Creative Sound Blaster Z SE PCIe Sound Card. I mainly play FPS games which means I would like to have a sense of direction when it comes to sound and also I occasionally listen to music such as RnB, HipHop, Rap and EDM.

I am from Australia so the prices I listed are in Australian dollars.

Here is a list of headset/headphones that I am currently looking at:
- Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro $210
- Beyerdynamic MMX300 $349 (RRP$ 449) One of the stores is having a bundled discount which is $349 for the headset plus mouse and mousepad.
- Beyerdynamic Tygr 300r bundle $399

I have heard that the Audeze Mobius are great out of the box but they are way too expensive at $699.

At this point it is more of a I want to get a new pair of headphones rather than I need to because there is no problem with my current HD558. It is just that I was browsing and came across the MMX300 bundles.

Please let me know your thoughts and any other recommendations are appreciated.
I've used a MMX300 Gen1 for years and have a DT990 250ohm here as well. I game with the mmx300 and if you can find a used pair, the factory silver pads are much better than the black stock ones for bass response. The DT990 doesn't have some mind blowing sound stage and closed back privacy and professional mic wins hands down.
The only one I like better is the DT880 250 ohm black edition with silver pads. The black has more bass than stock and the silver pads are more comfortable.
I had a Sound blaster Z for years and remember how nice it was to upgrade to the AE-5 in quality and detail. If you find one used and sell the Z you'll be really happy with the difference. The AE-7 is my favorite because the AE-9 requires a 6 pin molex that's not shared, and most gamers use the two they have for the video card already. The G6 is nice if you can stay out of high gain more, which is easy to do with the mmx300. Just always plug into the back on those for best quality sound.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 10
I've used a MMX300 Gen1 for years and have a DT990 250ohm here as well. I game with the mmx300 and if you can find a used pair, the factory silver pads are much better than the black stock ones for bass response. The DT990 doesn't have some mind blowing sound stage and closed back privacy and professional mic wins hands down.
The only one I like better is the DT880 250 ohm black edition with silver pads. The black has more bass than stock and the silver pads are more comfortable.
I had a Sound blaster Z for years and remember how nice it was to upgrade to the AE-5 in quality and detail. If you find one used and sell the Z you'll be really happy with the difference. The AE-7 is my favorite because the AE-9 requires a 6 pin molex that's not shared, and most gamers use the two they have for the video card already. The G6 is nice if you can stay out of high gain more, which is easy to do with the mmx300. Just always plug into the back on those for best quality sound.
Hey thanks for the recommendations. Here in Australia the prices of the AE 7 is around $300ish while the G6 is at $230 can you please share a bit more anout these 2 sound cards?

Also the reason why I wanted the MMX300 was just because it is highly recommended and also it is currently can be had at a steal. Where can I find those factory silverpads ? Are those the name or is there a more specific name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back