I need new headphones!
Nov 8, 2008 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sniperchang

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

As my post count might give away, I'm a new user! Anyway I came here so I could get help on deciding which headphones I should buy. My cheap Sony cans is breaking as we speak.

I'm looking for good quality set of cans for gaming and watching movies. I love bass, I also enjoy listening to bass heavy music and bass heavy explosion during gaming and movies, so big bass is a must!

I've heard somewhere that open type headphones will usual have greater bass (no doubt cause they can easily move more air), so I would prefer open headphones, sound leak is not a concern. Did I mention BASS?

Short criteria list:

Budget around 100$
Lots of Bass.
Open is fine.
Comfortable for long listening sessions.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser hd555. However I saw in a review they're aren't that great in bass.

Thanks for the help! Very much appreciated.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't know of any $100 cans that will handle a lot of bass (depending on what 'a lot' is to you). I have cans costing twice that much (HD595) than cannot handle it. I will second the notion that the HD555 are not good in this respect. Mine fart out so much they are, for the most, part useless to me.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 18
Up the ante and go with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms). Check ebay and amazon. I think they go for around $150. Pity you missed the big Amazon sale on DT 770 (250 ohm) cans--$108 at their lowest. The Pros have more bass. The 250 ohm model is more balanced, but with good bass.

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know of any $100 cans that will handle a lot of bass (depending on what 'a lot' is to you). I have cans costing twice that much (HD595) than cannot handle it. I will second the notion that the HD555 are not good in this respect. Mine fart out so much they are, for the most, part useless to me.

Well, I'm trying to find the BEST fit of my criteria listed in my first post. It's hard for headphones because the specifications do not really reveal anything about them. I need people who tried the products to tell me how they compare to each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up the ante and go with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms). Check ebay and amazon. I think they go for around $150. Pity you missed the big Amazon sale on DT 770 (250 ohm) cans--$108 at their lowest. The Pros have more bass. The 250 ohm model is more balanced, but with good bass.

Cheers!

Thanks. I was also looking at them but I'm not sure how they compare to other headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about the AKG K77-K99, JVC HA-RX700-900.

I haven't tried any besides the K99's, which I love, but they get hot after 15 mins. Check my review by searching it here on head-fi. I ended up returning them at Guitar Center.

If you ended up returned them why did you recommended them? Is there something else you can tell me about them? I'll look at our reviews, but how would you say they would compare to other phones mentioned in this thread thus far?

Thanks guys.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 18
I have a lot of headphones. In your price range I have a pair of Grado SR-60's, AKG 301, AKG 240M, Sennheiser 201, Koss Pro 4AA (35 years old, but still being made), and Yuin PK2 (gourmet, no need to amplfy, earbuds). My Beyerdynamic DT 770 (250 ohm) was purchased on sale for $113 (it usually sells closer to the $180 mark).

Best buy = Grado SR-60. Nothing at its 70 buck price point can match it. Bass is okay. Overall sound is musical and enjoyable. I find them comfortable, others may beg to differ.

AKG 240M are okay, studo cans, semi-open, 600 ohm, amp dependent. Fairly well balanced, a bit pedestrian, comfortable. I found mine used for $65 bucks and at that price they are really fine. The other models are more desirable according to many.

AKG 301 original series is fine, analytic, balanced, airy, but not enough bass for the bass fan. However, the AKG 301 XTRA might fit your bill. The XTRA is for accentuated bass. Some compare them to the Grado SR-60's and some like them better for the extra bass and for the overall sonic signature.
This is worth looking into and sell for around $130. For around the same price you could move up to the Grado 125's ($150), which are very good (but probably not as comfortable). I'd opt for the Grado SR 225 for around 200--better price at Headroom--more bass, great rock cans.

Sennheiser 201 = good closed can for the money. Good balance, bass shy, fair isolation, good for a kid or a cheapskate (under 30 bucks).

Koss Pro 4AA = great bass, a bit muddy sounding, were a revelation in 1973, really heavy and tight on the head, and after all these years, still sound pretty good if you are laying down with a pillow under your head and some vintage Deep Purple pulsing through them. (approx. $70-100).

Yuin PK2 = amazing earbud. Selling for around 70 bucks, they have a big can sound in a little, unpretentious package. I have a pair of PK1's which need to be amped, and am amazed at the bass and how good is the sound. The PK2's are the better bargain, especially if you do not want to amp. But you gotta like ear buds (I really don't except the Yuin's are so good and so portable).

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 comes in 3 current versions. The M which is for drummers, the 770 Pros (80 ohm) which are known for the bass, and the 770 (250 ohm) model that has good balance and recently was a fantastic bargain thanks to Amazon's sale. You can find the Pro's for around $150.

What am I listening with now is a pair of Grado SR-325i's ($295). These are my favourite cans for their aggressive presentation on rock music and it's kinda like being in the band. As a musician, I like this. Other's might find it too immediate. Soundstage is fair (afterall you are now in the band). For soundstage try AKG 701's (around $250, list $449.99 or something like that). But we are going beyond what you requested.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 18
I've never heard the Sennheiser 280. A lot of folks like them and for a 100 bucks they are pretty good closed cans. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's which my 9 year old has adopted (a lovely step up from his HD 201's) and they are pretty good (open cans, great for jazz--okay bass, a good all-rounder, and comfortable--but I've moved on--these can be found for $175--just a good guess). Check out the Headroom website for its reviews. I also like dealing with the company--I have a Total Bithead (using it now) and really like it (it has a DAC). You usually can't go wrong with Sennheiser (nor for that mater with Headroom).

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 18
If you don´t mind buing used, you can easily get a par of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms). They fit all your requests and are build like a tank
normal_smile .gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 18
If you're not going to buy a headphone amp I'd cut the DT 770's (80 ohm) from your list. I just got these a week ago and running straight from a pc they sound utterly horrible. With an amp the sound drastically changed but they were so woefully underpowered without the amp that the bass was next to non-existant.

Look at the Equation Audio RP-21 and M Audio Q-40's. Both are around $100 and have no problems all running and being bassy without an amp. Personally I'd recommend the RP-21's as I found them to have extremely good bass but nothing overwhelming.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Cheers!

Ehm, there is also a DT770 Pro edition with 250 ohm.
When you say 250 ohm, you mean the consumer edition?

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 comes in 3 current versions. The M which is for drummers, the 770 Pros (80 ohm) which are known for the bass, and the 770 (250 ohm) model that has good balance and recently was a fantastic bargain thanks to Amazon's sale. You can find the Pro's for around $150.

Actuelly, there are four DT770 stock versions.
1. DT770 pro 250 ohm
2. DT770 pro 80 ohm
3. DT770 consumer edition (250 ohm)
4. DT770 M (80 ohm)

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 18
Ok I had another look around I'm leaning towards the HD 280 Pro.

Many people compared the HD 280 and 555 and say they're quite comparable, so I decided to go for the HD 280 given those two choices. The DT 770 Pro really look great, but it's just to expensive for me.

Would you say this is a good choice?

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 18
No, not really. The HD280s are one of those controversial headphones. Some love them, others hate them. And there are fit issues too. My suggestion?: The safe, Denon AH-D1001s. Closed, bassy, very very comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back