I need help to decide on the color...
Apr 28, 2006 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TJ Elite

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm going to order a custom pair of DT 990s (600 ohms) from Beyerdynamic, but I haven't decided what they should look like yet. I'd really like to use genuine grimson leather but those limit the colors of the rest of the cans because it's a bit hard to mix colors with red without making the cans look quite silly. I want a desing I won't regret right after I open the package.

Beyerdynamic 'phones (770s, 880s & 990s) can be designed at www.beyerdynamic.com/manufaktur. If someone comes up with a cool look please post it here so it'll be easier for me to decide on the final look. At the moment all soft-touch black/red is the best looking can I have come up with. Some other combos look nice too but they don't work with grimson red leather.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 18
That's what I had in mind but with anodiced red aluring and yoke.

Anodiced gold aluring and anodiced shampagner yoke combo with a chrome cover also looks quite nice...

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 18
how about a stax omega 2 rip-off? (well, kinda). Works with crimson leather as well, but I just prefer cognac
wink.gif

dt9909yq.jpg

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 18
I tried making an all-black studio looking 880, no go on the grilles and name plate though.
rolleyes.gif

Is the 990 warmer sounding than the 880, I know the new models shuffled some audio properties around.

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 18
Mh, maybe:

or:

I like the leather, but its hard to find something matching... I think the green looks cool and fits to the reddish leather, but maybe its a bit too colourful... And it would be nice to see the chrome in reality, same goes to the nickel. All black with this leather would be ok too. I would print my nickname on it, too.
biggrin.gif

Maybe this one would be my favourite tho, although I'm not so shure with the champaign... all silver might be better...?:

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiery
the last one in kadajawi's post - nice

I agree that one does look nice.

hmmm... this gives me ideas.... all black 770s + darth beyers.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 18
Thx, I somewhat like McMasters one too, but maybe there is too much contrast, and the red is pretty striking, I think beyerdynamic should make it of a darker tone, wine red maybe? Something like the green, but in red.

I think when I'd make a wooden one, I would at least use the crimson leather, that should work out well with some rather reddish wood. Or maybe cognac. And some champaign or gold, depending on how decadent its supposed to look like...
orphsmile.gif
But then, the wodden audio technica looks absolutely great, I think that is hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back