I need help to buy my ideal headphones, for Rock and Metal, between $150 and $200.
Sep 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

carlosabia

Head-Fier
Hi, i'm new here, thanks for reading me!

I'm looking for the ideal headphones for me, i can't afford not buying the perfect ones haha, i've saved a long time for these so i want to make it count!

I listen to:

Killswitch Engage
A Day To Remember
Daughtry
Bruno Mars 
Bullet For My Valentine
Dream Theater 
Four Year Strong
Paramore
etc...

I recently bought Sennheiser's 598 and I loved them! But returned them since they leak a LOT of sound and a LOT of sound came in. So maybe i'm looking for something decently isolating and noice cancelling. I really don't like microphones or volume controls on my headphones, just the plain cable.
I like clear sounds, not too mid muffled, I also love bass, but nothing too crazy! Maybe something a bit plain with a bit rock punch, like nice clear bass, clear vocals and a heavy snare on songs. Maybe i'm making it too complicated to choose lol, but I just really don't know which ones to get, you guys could help me so much!

I have this few options i've looked throughout your threads, but can't to have a clear winner (other options are welcome)

Audio Technica M50x
Sony MDR-1R
Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO-32
Beyerdynamic DT-990 PRO-250
AKG K550
AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones
Sennheiser Urbanite
V-Moda XS
Onkyo ES-CTI300
Denon AH-D340
Any Beats in the price range (I've just seen a lot of people use them)

If possible, for them to be a little stylish (not too ugly lol)

Thank you so much for your help and reading me, you guys are awesome!!

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 61
  get the SoundMagic HP150. they should work without much amping ? btw do you have an amp ?

They look very nice! Thanks for your help man, I don't plan to use an amp. Are these clear enough though? I read they might be a bit too bassy. I really like it when the sound is wide, like you can tell the bass from the kick, both guitars and clean vocals, do you think soundmagic might do it? 

Thank you!

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 61
hp150 could be one of the best neutral closed backs in this price range. I don't think they are that bassy compared with m50x,1R,XS,DT990...soundstage and most of the sound characteristics should be similar to older HP100.   I think you ll love them...

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 61

I'm looking for the ideal headphones for me, i can't afford not buying the perfect ones haha, i've saved a long time for these so i want to make it count!

I listen to:

Killswitch Engage
A Day To Remember
Daughtry
Bruno Mars 
Bullet For My Valentine
Dream Theater 
Four Year Strong
Paramore
etc...

I recently bought Sennheiser's 598 and I loved them! But returned them since they leak a LOT of sound and a LOT of sound came in. So maybe i'm looking for something decently isolating and noice cancelling. I really don't like microphones or volume controls on my headphones, just the plain cable.
I like clear sounds, not too mid muffled, I also love bass, but nothing too crazy! Maybe something a bit plain with a bit rock punch, like nice clear bass, clear vocals and a heavy snare on songs. Maybe i'm making it too complicated to choose lol, but I just really don't know which ones to get, you guys could help me so much!

I have this few options i've looked throughout your threads, but can't to have a clear winner (other options are welcome)

Audio Technica M50x
Sony MDR-1R
AKG K550
AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones
Sennheiser Urbanite
V-Moda XS
Onkyo ES-CTI300
Denon AH-D340

The dt990 and q701 are both open headphones like the hd598

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 61
  hp150 could be one of the best neutral closed backs in this price range. I don't think they are that bassy compared with m50x,1R,XS,DT990...soundstage and most of the sound characteristics should be similar to older HP100.   I think you ll love them...

Do you know of a store who has the hp150? Like a Best Buy or Fry's Electronics? I would really like to try 'em out before purchasing!

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 61
What headphones have you tried and liked?

Only ones I've tried are audiotechnica m40x and I thought they sounded nice! I'm guessing the m50x are better!

I also just purchased the sennheiser hd598 and loved the sound! But returned them because they were open headphones!

I don't know much about headphones, I have a pretty sharp ear though, been a musician for over 10 years and am pretty picky! I'm looking for something to blow me away and to have it for a couple of years :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 61
Only ones I've tried are audiotechnica m40x and I thought they sounded nice! I'm guessing the m50x are better!

I also just purchased the sennheiser hd598 and loved the sound! But returned them because they were open headphones!

I don't know much about headphones, I have a pretty sharp ear though, been a musician for over 10 years and am pretty picky! I'm looking for something to blow me away and to have it for a couple of years
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're looking for some extra bass (not basshead levels) the yamaha pro 400/500 and sennheiser amperior would fit as well (if you're in the US you can find huge discounts on ebay and sometimes amazon for the yamahas).
I'm pretty sure the ath m50, vmoda xs, and denon d340 fall in the same category

Lachlanlikesathing prefers the sennheiser amperior over the vmoda xs because it doesn't have forward mids and has faster bass (faster bass is generally better for rock music)

Sep 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #10 of 61
  They look very nice! Thanks for your help man, I don't plan to use an amp. Are these clear enough though? I read they might be a bit too bassy. I really like it when the sound is wide, like you can tell the bass from the kick, both guitars and clean vocals, do you think soundmagic might do it?

Thank you!

The sub-bass is elevated, not the mid-bass, so while I wouldn't call these phones neutral, they are very clear because bass doesn't intrude on the mids.  If anything this headphone is quite revealing of flaws in the recording, if you like a dry, analytical sound this would be a good choice.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 61
try mdr 1rmk2 (not the mk1 they are horrible), this doesn't leak sound and not to mention I use them with the same type of genre on music. Metallica, Korn, Silverchair and ect.

or you can wait a bit and try out the new Sony flagship headphone thats coming out this year. the MDR 1A/ and 1B. these ones have an updated dripver (Aluminum coated Liquid crystal polymer film diaphragm) and an updated ear pad design. these will probably sound better than the current mdr 1rmk2 with pretty much the same price tag.

here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/733489/sony-mdr-1a-sonys-latest-update-on-the-1r

not all of the Sony sites have been updated ye,. probably just Japan and US first.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 61
try mdr 1rmk2 (not the mk1 they are horrible), this doesn't leak sound and not to mention I use them with the same type of genre on music. Metallica, Korn, Silverchair and ect.

or you can wait a bit and try out the new Sony flagship headphone thats coming out this year. the MDR 1A/ and 1B. these ones have an updated dripver (Aluminum coated Liquid crystal polymer film diaphragm) and an updated ear pad design. these will probably sound better than the current mdr 1rmk2 with pretty much the same price tag.

here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/733489/sony-mdr-1a-sonys-latest-update-on-the-1r

not all of the Sony sites have been updated ye,. probably just Japan and US first.

Do you think the soundmagic hp150 would be a good pick for me based on what I'm looking for?

I'll check those Sony out! Thanks man :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 61
Do you know of a store who has the hp150? Like a Best Buy or Fry's Electronics? I would really like to try 'em out before purchasing!

I don't think stores like bestbuy has HP150.. you can just buy them on Amazon since they have a nice return policy.. btw buysonic has M50x white for just $129.(just register to see the deal)
https://www.buysonic.com/products/audio-technica-ath-m50x/

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 61
The sub-bass is elevated, not the mid-bass, so while I wouldn't call these phones neutral, they are very clear because bass doesn't intrude on the mids.  If anything this headphone is quite revealing of flaws in the recording, if you like a dry, analytical sound this would be a good choice.

Would you say this are proper for rock music and maybe music listening overall? How do they stand compared to sennheisers, Sony, audiotechnica?

I don't plan to use an amp BTW

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #15 of 61

I listen to:

Killswitch Engage
A Day To Remember
Daughtry
Bruno Mars 
Bullet For My Valentine
Dream Theater 
Four Year Strong
Paramore
etc...

Audio Technica M50x
Sony MDR-1R
AKG K550
AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones
Sennheiser Urbanite
V-Moda XS
Onkyo ES-CTI300
Denon AH-D340

I'd simply get the most expensive Grado headphone you can afford in your price range. Just my two cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back