I need help finding headphones for two different ends of the spectrum
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CherryBoom

New Head-Fier
Hello there I've been lurking the forums and haven't found the answer I need so made an account to make a thread.

I'm a student on a budget of under $100/£60-70 max. Low but I'm not even in uni yet.

I need headphones that provide the bass for songs such as cherry cherry boom boom -one and only (r3hab remix) whilst also able to provide satisfactory listening of music from composers such as two steps from hell. I thought of the sony XB-500's certainly cheap and not a bad compromise but I hear they leak sound a lot which is why I'm leaving my koss porta pro's (and the rubbish bass)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your suggestions!

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 11
The XB-500 is not a bad headphone at all.  For the price it sounds pretty good if you like some extra bass heft.  The Philips Cityscape Downtown is another option that seals much better than the XB-500.  It can be found as low as $50.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 11
The XB-500 is not a bad headphone at all.  For the price it sounds pretty good if you like some extra bass heft.  The Philips Cityscape Downtown is another option that seals much better than the XB-500.  It can be found as low as $50.

Thanks for the reply.

I've checked out the Philips but reviews say it's build quality isn't fantastic in that it's flimsy.

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I've checked out the Philips but reviews say it's build quality isn't fantastic in that it's flimsy.

Putting the build quality aside, I have nothing good to say about it's sound quality either. I would avoid it for almost everything apart from looks.
+1 for the XB-500. 
There are very few headphones that seal really well, and even fewer under £70.... BUT the Panasonic RP-HTX7 does have a rather fantastic seal (around £30) ... it has a bottom heavy consumer sound like the Koss Portapro but it might not have the lower bass impact you're looking for.

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 11
Putting the build quality aside, I have nothing good to say about it's sound quality either. I would avoid it for almost everything apart from looks.
+1 for the XB-500. 

There are very few headphones that seal really well, and even fewer under £70.... BUT the Panasonic RP-HTX7 does have a rather fantastic seal (around £30) ... it has a bottom heavy consumer sound like the Koss Portapro but it might not have the lower bass impact you're looking for.

I see I'll avoid it then, it is more expensive than the XB-500 anyways.

My budget is really low so I know what you mean. I find the koss portapro's ok but sometimes feel they aren't offering me everything the song has, is the leak rally bad on the sonys or exaggerated? I work in a quiet environment in the College...

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Don't take this the wrong way, but you may simply want to consider listening to music at lower volumes. A good set of headphones gives you the 'whole sound' and you don't need to compensate by turning the volume up and leaking it everywhere.

Also the XB-500's bass is so extreme so you'd probably be happy to keep it al lower volumes due to fatigue at higher volumes - the BIG upside to this is that the frequencies that leak the most are higher treble frequencies, so with a bass monster at 'lower' volumes you'll be much less likely to leak sound and still feel like you're getting enough volume. 

Also if I remember correctly they're not known to be a seriously leaky headphone. When in doubt, wear the headphone on your leg and turn the volume up until you can barely hear the leak - then you've got your volume limit.

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Don't take this the wrong way, but you may simply want to consider listening to music at lower volumes. A good set of headphones gives you the 'whole sound' and you don't need to compensate by turning the volume up and leaking it everywhere.

Also the XB-500's bass is so extreme so you'd probably be happy to keep it al lower volumes due to fatigue at higher volumes - the BIG upside to this is that the frequencies that leak the most are higher treble frequencies, so with a bass monster at 'lower' volumes you'll be much less likely to leak sound and still feel like you're getting enough volume. 

Also if I remember correctly they're not known to be a seriously leaky headphone. When in doubt, wear the headphone on your leg and turn the volume up until you can barely hear the leak - then you've got your volume limit.

I understand what you're saying, a lower volume means less leakage. I've never tried them on since there not really available in shops to try on but I am getting swayed towards buying them with all the positive reviews.

My last question is that will they be able to produce decent quality for songs from composers such as two steps from hell?

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I understand what you're saying, a lower volume means less leakage. I've never tried them on since there not really available in shops to try on but I am getting swayed towards buying them with all the positive reviews.
My last question is that will they be able to produce decent quality for songs from composers such as two steps from hell?

It depends on the recordings. Some orchestral music benefits greatly from a bass boost especially film music, as it gives the sense of cinema sound experience with sub woofers and makes the sound seem bigger and more 'epic'. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 11
It depends on the recordings. Some orchestral music benefits greatly from a bass boost especially film music, as it gives the sense of cinema sound experience with sub woofers and makes the sound seem bigger and more 'epic'. 

I see, some of their music is quite earthy in that it uses lower frequencies and feels at times to incorporate bass.

One last question before I make up my mind. What is the difference between these two xb500s in terms of bass etc... I only ask since the latter looks far nicer :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001UE6PDG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1352560848&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005FVC4RQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1352560848&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Thanks for your help

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I see, some of their music is quite earthy in that it uses lower frequencies and feels at times to incorporate bass.
One last question before I make up my mind. What is the difference between these two xb500s in terms of bass etc... I only ask since the latter looks far nicer :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001UE6PDG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1352560848&sr=8-1&pi=SL75
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005FVC4RQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1352560848&sr=8-2&pi=SL75
Thanks for your help

No sound difference, just one is black (looks awesome'ish) and one is silver (looks consumer'ish)

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 11
No sound difference, just one is black (looks awesome'ish) and one is silver (looks consumer'ish)

Yeah the black ones look far better.

I've made my decision and I'll take the black ones since the bass is the same.

Thanks for your help I would've still been pondering. I really like this website when I earn I'll be using this place a lot more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back